New MCs

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

New MCs

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:30 pm

I like how the maleceptor has scything talons and no options to swap them for other wargear. They literally do nothing for it. Also, psychic overload is pretty much a crappier version of Psychic Shriek for twice the warp charges.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: New MCs

Postby Dez » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Well at least the Toxicrene looks cool.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 am

Dez wrote:Well at least the Toxicrene looks cool.

Rules-wise it isn't really horrible either, just kind of mediocre; it won't be horrible on the field, nor even useless, but it's not exactly filling a hole that 'nids were missing.

Really the problem is that they're putting more MCs in an army that is chock full of them, where all the issues come with their bad troops choices and not "needs more big dudes."

Gaghiel
Whiteshield

Postby Gaghiel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:57 pm

How do you get to the conclusion that their power is worse?? Its got a +6 in further range and you can use it 3 times as opposed to once. Call me crazy but that seems a pretty damn sight better, and well worth the +1 charge to use it.
- Jeremy

WildBorr
Veteran

Postby WildBorr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Gaghiel wrote:How do you get to the conclusion that their power is worse?? Its got a +6 in further range and you can use it 3 times as opposed to once. Call me crazy but that seems a pretty damn sight better, and well worth the +1 charge to use it.

Additionally, it can target vehicles, which Psychic Scream cannot. Pretty sick nasty if you ask me...

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am

Gaghiel wrote:How do you get to the conclusion that their power is worse?? Its got a +6 in further range and you can use it 3 times as opposed to once. Call me crazy but that seems a pretty damn sight better, and well worth the +1 charge to use it.

It will eat up warp dice like crazy to try and cast it because again, it's WC2 and with how the psychic phase works, you have to throw a lot of dice just to get some powers to work--you'd be throwing at least 3 dice, probably 4, just to be certain that it goes off (YES theoretically it could be cast on 2 dice but there's something like a 20% chance that will happen).

Additionally, psychic shriek can potentially do more than 3 wounds, as it's 3d6 compare the totals, and also only WC1. Typically from a psyker that isn't a giant "please shoot me" MC and which can also hide in a unit, unlike the Maleceptor. Sure, you can only cast it once, but you also don't have to dedicate most of your dice pool trying to use it.

Also it's 205pts for a single ML2 psyker that is going to know 2 powers total. That's garbage. There's better ways to spend those points in a 'nid army.

Corwin
Veteran

Postby Corwin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 am

The d3 wounds after first you cast it, then they deny it, then a leadership test. You get an 18 on the test and still roll d3 wounds rather then doing 10 to a tac squad I think py shriek is better for 1 wc
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Corwin
Veteran

Postby Corwin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 am

Though I did miss that it's a focused witch fire that changes things a bit
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Gaghiel
Whiteshield

Postby Gaghiel » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 am

To me, i think if you're throwing 4 dice on this guy to cast this power, there's something wrong with you. he's a 200 point synapse node with a nice power to try to eliminate characters. if you have zoanthropes on the table, (and why wouldnt you) your opponent is more likely to use dispell dice on them, because these guys arent a huge psyker menace. The 2 scything talons for extra attack and rerolls is more of a shock roll, with a chance to take that guy with a powerfist or whatnot out of some squads before they wade in.
- Jeremy

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Gaghiel wrote:To me, i think if you're throwing 4 dice on this guy to cast this power, there's something wrong with you. he's a 200 point synapse node with a nice power to try to eliminate characters. if you have zoanthropes on the table, (and why wouldnt you) your opponent is more likely to use dispell dice on them, because these guys arent a huge psyker menace. The 2 scything talons for extra attack and rerolls is more of a shock roll, with a chance to take that guy with a powerfist or whatnot out of some squads before they wade in.

At that point it's just a 205pt distraction if you're just using it to bait your opponent to waste dice. You could just get more psykers (aka more Zoanthropes), which would increase the amount of warp charges you have, which in turn would make it harder for your opponent to DtW stuff you DO want to pass through rather than faffing about.

Also it only has one set of scything talons, which no longer offer rerolls or an extra attack as of the 6th edition book. Like I said, they do literally nothing for it.

Return to “Tyranids”