New Codex

Ankaru
Veteran

Re: New Codex

Postby Ankaru » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:31 pm

If only Dark Eldar had gotten the same treatment. Or at least some armor 4 guys as troops. The Scourges are my favorite models in the line and not very expensive actually for a box of five. Too bad they take up so much room in my case.
Fantasy is cool. Sci-fi is cool too. But when you combine them, they become even cooler.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:40 am

Aspect Warriors special rules: purchasable Exarch Powers are gone but each Exarch has a built-in special power. Also they have two wounds now!

Dire Avengers: Choose one: Overwatch at BS2 or Counter-attack and Stubborn
Exarch: 4++

Howling Banshees: +3" to run or assault moves. Ignore the penalty to Initiative when assaulting through difficult terrain. Fear. No Overwatch allowed when Banshees assault
Exarch: Units in CC with the Banshees have -2L

Frog Stingin' Scorpions: Stealth. Shrouded until they shoot or assault.
Exarch: During a challenge, compare the Initiative values of the Frog Stingin' Exarch and his opponent. If the Frog Stingin' Exarch has greater Initiative, he gets a number of bonus Attacks equal to the difference in values.

Fire Dragons: +1 on the vehicle damage chart.
Exarch: Once per turn, may re-roll one failed to hit, to wound or armor penetration roll

Swooping Hawks: If the move over a flier, every modl gets one special attack that hits on 4+, S4, AP4, Haywire. They move 18"
Exarch: The unit does not scatter when they deep strike

Warp Spiders: Warp jump is the same as before, 6+2D6", lose a model on doubles. However now they can choose to jump (2D6") in the opponent's shooting phase after they are chosen as a target for a shooting attack. If they are out of range or LoS after this movement, the shooting unit cannot choose another target. If they jump in the opponent's shooting phase, they cannot Warp jump on their next turn.
Exarch: The unit may re-roll failed Leadership tests

Shining Spears: 4+ cover save
Exarch: may re-roll failed to wound vs MCs and armor penetration rolls

Dark Reapers: may re-roll failed to hit rolls if the target is a Flyer or has turbo-boosted/moved flat out in the previous turn
Exarch: His weapon fires an extra shot (old Fast Shot)

Serpent Shield is once per game instead of infinite use, 24" range instead of 60", loses defensive aspect after it's fired

Laser Lock was removed entirely so you can no longer twin-link the Serpent Shield (not that it would matter much with the one use only)

Holo-fields are a 5++ now which is like infinitely worse than +1 to cover save. Definitely not worth 15 points

Spiritseers no longer make Wraithbros Troops so they aren't very useful

Warlock Councils kind of suck

Monofilament is not quite as good as it used to be

Mantle of the Laughing God was removed

Phoenix Lords:

Asurmen (220)
4++ (3++ if fighting in a challenge). Gets 1D3 Warlord traits. Sword is +1S, AP2, Mastercrafterd. For each wound take a Ld test. If failed model dies.

Jain Zar (200)
When fighting in a challange, Jain Zar chooses a weapon of is opponent. He may not use this weapon. If done so, Jain Zar has -1A. Enemy models at +6" get -5 to WS (Mínimum 1). Her sword is AP2, Shred.

Karandras (200)
When arriving from reserves can choose any border. His mandiblaster ignores ALL saves.

Fuegan (220)
He gets +1S and +1A for each lost wound.

Baharroth (170)
When DS all units at 6" are treated as hit by a weapon with the Blind SR.

Maugan Ra (195)
Can fire his Maugetar twice per turn (That means 8 S6 Rending shots). Maugetar has an alternative profile: Assault 1, S1, Poison 2+. If one model dies, put 5" marker. All models under the template get a S5 AP4 hit.
Bring me your finest coffee!

AdamL
Whiteshield

Postby AdamL » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm

The amount of hate this codex is getting is insane. People are out right trying to ban it from competition or just flat out refusing to play eldar anymore. Dakka dakka is going insane over this and it isnt even out yet.
"Shoot the choppy and chop the shooty"

Guide to being an ork: Learn it, live it so you don't muck about!
http://matthewfarrer.files.wordpress.co ... wchart.png
Ork Taktikz
http://i.imgur.com/gKcI5cI.jpg

You can never have enough dakka for it is like the speed of light. You can come close but you can never attain it.

Ankaru
Veteran

Postby Ankaru » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:27 pm

It's not like you can't find ways to beat them. I mean they are still super specialized and squishy. Eldar look to have gotten some boosts, but I don't see how it's so OP that people won't play them.
Fantasy is cool. Sci-fi is cool too. But when you combine them, they become even cooler.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:04 am

Ankaru wrote:It's not like you can't find ways to beat them. I mean they are still super specialized and squishy. Eldar look to have gotten some boosts, but I don't see how it's so OP that people won't play them.

Strength D weapons were, up until this point, the purview of Apocalypse, Knight Titans, and one psychic power. Now an army that was pretty much at the top has access to it in multiple ways, and on units that were already pretty common.

People were expecting Eldar to end up like the rest of the books for 7th; instead, they arguably got better, if not straight-up bullshit. This is why people are mad--Eldar are, as usual, outliers of this edition and remain at the top of the power curve.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Ankaru
Veteran

Postby Ankaru » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 am

I do agree that the strength d weapons are a bit much, especially since the wraithguard have s10 guns to begin with. I play eldar a lot and I can say it's often hit or miss depending on the dice and my opponent's playstyle, as it always is. Sometimes I steamroll, other times, I get steamrolled.

Granted, my tendency to play footslogging armies has a hand in the factoring of wins vs losses.

AdamL
Whiteshield

Postby AdamL » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 pm

With this new codex it is super easy for eldar to abuse the game and can end up looking like TFG or a WAAC player even if they didn't intend too. There is a small community of Eldar who are actually not happy with the new direction of this book as they might become outcasts if people really start refusing games vs Eldar. It's sad that there are plenty of cool Eldar players out there but this is something out of their control. Geedubs have the eldar walking a VERY VERY thin line with this powerhouse book.

At the end of the day its up to the player to decide how they want to handle it because just because they have the options to take wraithknight with Str D weapon or 40 something jetbikes doesn't mean they should.

Then there's the jokes that we should all just play Eldar armies that way the game can return to some kind of level of balance. Hahaha
"Shoot the choppy and chop the shooty"

Guide to being an ork: Learn it, live it so you don't muck about!
http://matthewfarrer.files.wordpress.co ... wchart.png
Ork Taktikz
http://i.imgur.com/gKcI5cI.jpg

You can never have enough dakka for it is like the speed of light. You can come close but you can never attain it.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:12 am

I would highly recommend everyone back off the ledge a little bit. I remember this same kind of furor when the first Grey Knight Codex was released and the Paladin army was being considered game breaking. While it was good, it wasn't winning tournaments. Could this army be insane? Maybe. Could it be a only a little better than it is right now, very possibly. Could it be about the same? Also very possibly.

~J

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:46 am

I ain't scared! I'm looking forward to a challenge.

Now I'm going to start building some Admech who hate Space Elves :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

orkwarboss
Storm Trooper

Postby orkwarboss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

J Rzasa wrote:I would highly recommend everyone back off the ledge a little bit. I remember this same kind of furor when the first Grey Knight Codex was released and the Paladin army was being considered game breaking. While it was good, it wasn't winning tournaments. Could this army be insane? Maybe. Could it be a only a little better than it is right now, very possibly. Could it be about the same? Also very possibly.

~J

Too this may I add 'in the grimmdark furture there is only war' and rumor mean nothing till the book is in hand.
Lion El’ Johnson – This one is an oldie but a goodie. Turns out he was a poet from the Victorian era who wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Angel’. He also was rumored to have quite the secret for those times.

Commander_Jay wrote:On the plus side, some of the rules and attacks are hilarious. My Gyrocopter can tilt its rotors and cut through people like a homicidal kitchen blender.

Return to “Eldar”