New Codex

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: New Codex

Postby Dez » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am

Except there are screenshots from the new book, just saying :)

Things ARE looking crazy, info is legit...but there might be more we are missing. Especially as we don't know how things play out yet.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 am

Bring me your finest coffee!

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 am

As one of the few Eldar players back from the beginnings of the club, of course I had to buy this!
I am like Dez' friend in that he mentions that this person hadn't even played a game under the prior codex! I did, once, against my 15 year old, but it was for about a 750 point game and we didn't finish!

From what I can see, just spending a few hours looking at it; things are mostly just different. Eldar has definitely seen a boost to its core abilities - speed and long range firepower - but there have been a few debuffs and adjustments as well E.G. - Avatar lost options; all Exarchs lost options - esp. things like Fast Shot and other choices; Waveserpent is a tad weaker. There are most likely others to discover.

However, the addition of formations is interesting. Obviously a way to try to sell more models ( need a Viper and a Heavy Weapons Support for some - which means more of those will appear) to get the buffs from the formation.
I like the idea that there are now models for Farseers and Warlocks on bikes. Came too late for me as I had them customized for my army and don't need them.
I like that the Aspect Warriors are more playable now. Banshee Masks negate Overwatch so they might actually get into CC without getting too shot up! Other Aspects are cheaper to field so they will be more fun to play with. That's a good idea.
Warp Spiders now only lose a model to the warp on a Double 1. But the Exarch is not as buffed. You're up, you're down.
The Phoenix Lords might actually be worth taking from time to time. I like Kandaras now and might actually bring (gasp) Striking Scorpions now...(mine aren't green.....I like Brown Scorpions - more common).

Is the army OP? Seems we see this discussion almost everytime GW reissues a new Codex. It is apparent that they buff up each new codex so that folks who play that army get excited to get their old models out and (of course) buy and integrate some new models in. Its a business after all. Its like inflation. The armies just keep getting stronger, with more options.

That's the biggest thing I've seen over the years. GW keeps trying to give more and more options to what a player can put on the tabletop. I don't see anything wrong with that, per se. It's what you would expect, if this game is to stay engaging for folks and not stagnate.

If you think Eldar are now OP, just wait a while. Whatever army codex comes out next will probably be just as 'OP' as well. It seems inevitable.
In the meantime, I invite you active players to actually play some games vs Eldar armies and put it to the proper test before passing judgement. 'Proof is in the pudding', as they say.

Excelsior! (as Stan The Man Lee would say - Avengers: Age of Ultron this weekend!)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:32 pm

madvitale wrote:Is the army OP? Seems we see this discussion almost everytime GW reissues a new Codex. It is apparent that they buff up each new codex so that folks who play that army get excited to get their old models out and (of course) buy and integrate some new models in. Its a business after all. Its like inflation. The armies just keep getting stronger, with more options.

This wasn't really the case for most of 7th thus far. Up until the Necron book, armies were actively made weaker or more in-line with each other--Orks, Blood Angels, Space Wolves got some shuffling around and a few nerfs here and there, and in the case of Orks got a huge punch in the gut, and with BA they lost access to assault marines as troops (and put the Baal predator in the crowded heavy support slot). What people called 'The Blandening' was an expectation that all books from here on out would more or less be put on roughly the same power level.

But then the Necron book comes out, and it gets some notable buffs from the previous book, and then does a formation-within-a-formation option . The Eldar follow and they blow any sort of balance out the window with each access to strength D weapons, S6 jetbike spam out the wahzoo, and making the Wraithknight actually better while also giving you the chance to take multiple of them with the aforementioned formations. Previously bad units got better too, so even if you don't take the obviously imbalanced units you're going to have a leg up compared to most troops. Hell, look at Warp Spiders, who have transitioned from "fun and effective" into the most obnoxious unit to fire against.

From a balance standpoint the book is pure garbage, because it's so ridiculously easy to make a broken list using the book that people won't even want to play you because they expect The D to be shoved down their throat.
Bring me your finest coffee!

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, of course! Sorry you seem to be so upset. However, it seems premature to me to say no one will never play an Eldar player before having empirical evidence. Not to mention not being very sporting. Perhaps you are right and that will happen, but I think Dez has the right attitude. Eldar can be squishy!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Return to “Eldar”