So tell me the truth: how is the new GK Codex?

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Re: So tell me the truth: how is the new GK Codex?

Post by Grandmaster marc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 pm

you got a point, and ya crowe isnt worth it even though he rends on a 4+ id rather a regular brother champion.
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Post by Kinne » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

His biggest advantage is making Purifiers Troops.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Post by Xelloss » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 pm

His ONLY advantage. :roll:
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Kinne

Post by Kinne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:37 am

Not really. He's still a Champion, so if you get him into base with anything scary (Hive Tyrant, Abaddon, Ghazhgkull) his WS8 gives him a good shot at destroying it.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Post by Xelloss » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 am

In terms of advantage against the brother champion, it really is his only one. The Bro champ is WS7 as opposed to 8. Not exactly a huge loss.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Kinne

Post by Kinne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 am

And the Bro Champ has a NFW, so no armor saves and he can Instant Death stuff without dying. They obviously needed to do something to balance out the fact that Crowe makes Purifiers into Troops, though they may have gone a bit far. After all, he doesn't have a NFW and gives your opponent Preferred Enemy and Furious Charge if they assault you. Ouch. That's why I'd solo him if I had him in my army, to keep my squads alive.

thade
Veteran

Post by thade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:04 am

Marc: someday I'll run a list with 17 paladins just for you. It will be done.

Insofar as HQ, I'm leaning towards Librarian. (Big surprise there.)
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Kinne

Post by Kinne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am

Grand Masters are pretty solid choices too, with Grand Strategy and Psychic Communion (or whatever it's called). I wouldn't underestimate giving PAGKs with Halberds Counter-attack. You could also Infiltrate your Purgation or Purifier Squads, bringing your Psycannons into range for Turn One. Or you can make your Purifiers, Paladins and Purgation Squads scoring, while giving you a character who doesn't suck (like Crowe). He can also help you bring in your Reserves and give your unit Hammerhand so the unit can activate their NFWs instead.

As I mentioned, the only real drawback to GK characters is Terminator Armor, which forces you to buy a Raven or LR to transport them, or to have them hoof it/Deep Strike.

thade
Veteran

Post by thade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 am

Usually I attack ICs to squads to bolster their CC ability...but with GK no unit is really lacking in CC...except purgation squads. You make an excellent point with the GM tho...frankly, how many purifier squads will I have? One? Two? If I'm not going to spam them, Crowe's probably not work it (or even thematically sensible).

I can also get behind a custom-named character, so I won't write Grand Master off for sure. PAGK with counter-attack is something I did underestimate. ;)
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Kinne

Post by Kinne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Strike Squads suffer from the same weakness as regular Tactical Marines -- one attack each. Obviously they have NFWs, so they don't allow armor saves, and they can get +2I or +1A, but they still are limited in their CC role. Consider them Tac Marines with a little more punch in CC, and use them as such. For starters, they fire double the number of shots at the same range (24"), and can continue that rate of fire as they advance or fall back. Add to this the fact that they can pack a weapon that operates as both a special and heavy weapon, and you have a solid unit. And add to that the fact that they have Hammerhand, so they can become S5 if fighting a single-wound unit. But I wouldn't rely on them to take on serious CC units, at least not on their own. Thirty orks would annihilate them, because they don't care about your NFWs -- their saves suck anyway!

Crowe is really a must-have for a Purifier spam, because he eliminates the need to spend points on Strike Squads before you can take Purifiers. On top of this, a Grand Master could make all three of your Elites scoring (allowing you to skimp on troops), but he could also only make one scoring, leaving you with three scoring units. Obviously, ten-man Strike Squads will alleviate this worry, as they can break down into Combat Squads, but that means you're buying full squads of them. In a regular list, with one or two Purifier units, I would say stick to a Grand Master because you have a 66% chance of both units counting as scoring, as well as several other options (Infiltrate, Counter-attack) if you don't need extra scoring units. But if you want to field all Purifiers and no Strike Squads, he's a must have.

Also consider that you're limited to two HQ choices. IIRC, a Champion takes up a slot, so if you want a champ as insurance against Mephiston or Abaddon, you now must choose between the versatility provided by a Master, or the psychic toolbox and psychic hood provided by a Librarian. If you spam Purifiers, taking Crowe will allow them to count as troops AND give you that monster IC insurance, freeing you up to take a Libby.

Return to “The Inquisition”