So tell me the truth: how is the new GK Codex?

thade
Veteran

Re: So tell me the truth: how is the new GK Codex?

Postby thade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Is Meph that big of a concern for GK? Most (if not all) of the units have psyk-out grenades...which - if memory serves - will push him down to I1? (I may be mixed up on the effect they have.) He also doesn't have eternal warrior, so one lucky wound that doesn't get force-hooded will end him.

If psyk-out grenades (or nothing else in the unit) reduces his initiative (which is his real strength) then they're pasted, because he'll decapitate 3-5 members of the squad without blinking. Then again, wounding on a 6 (assuming the squad stands alone and had to forgo Hammerhand for FW activation) is a difficult prospect. So, by "one lucky wound" I mean "one VERY lucky wound".
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Not really. Twelve attacks will, on average, yield one wound, which is enough to kill him (12 attacks on a 4+ equals six hits, six hits with 6s to wound equals one wound). The biggest issue is that you're going to roll D6+9 and Meph D6+10 when he tries to stop the NFW with a Psychic Hood. Admittedly, he can try and stop the Champion power to prevent the Attack of Doom (my name for it), but then you'd be Ld10 vs. Ld10. He can similarly try to prevent Hammerhand and Might of Titan, so you may be stuck at wounding on 6's. Psyk-out grenades only work when you launch an assault. A GM or BC with Rad Grenades would reduce him to T5, making it much more likely that you would wound, and since he doesn't have an Invuln save, you don't need nearly as many attacks, or a successful NFW activation, to kill him. And Rad Grenades work both Defensively and Offensively, IIRC.

Sadly, unless you get lucky with a NFW roll, there isn't much else you can do to him. A Purgation Squad or Purifier Squad unloading on him with four Psycannons, in the open, will only net you three successful wounds, and the likelihood of him not being in cover, heck, even being in LoS, is pretty low, which would drop the number of wounds to two. And chances are you'll only get one round of Psycannon shots on him.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Krymson86
Whiteshield

Postby Krymson86 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 pm

What Kinne meant to say is "No, because Mephiston is a giant bag of douche".
Vyros Nyarr for Incassar 2012! Elves! Bringing swords to gunfights and winning since the beginning of time

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 pm

But he is so easy to deal with! Just dump the full firepower of your entire army into him for 4 turns and ignore everything else. Duh! :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Dez wrote:But he is so easy to deal with! Just light him up with plasma or melta; the IG command squad can come chalk full of them, so can stern guard, SM command, sew them through tactical squads...

Fixed.

Meph is not as durable as a hammernator squad, nor does he hit units as hard as they do. Sure, Str 10 is amazing against AV14 and Dreads, and he moves fast and tears appart infantry in melee...but he's not invincible.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 am

Haha so it's just Orks that are screwed against him ;)

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

Dez wrote:Haha so it's just Orks that are screwed against him ;)

Orks are still my hardest game, even with Meph. A pack of Ork Boyz that's big enough with a buried power klaw could wear him down; a pack of Nobz with power klawz would eat him...either unit would be cut down to an ork or two, but that's the price you pay. Like Ork players flat-out ignoring Land Raiders. ;)

My favorite vs Ork fight with Meph involved him being double charged by killa canz and an ork boy squad: he blew up two of the three canz and the resulting explosion killed easily half the incoming Ork Boyz...who broke and fled.

Meph was the only marine I had left on the table, but hey...it was a good game.
Thade = Steve

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 am

That sounds EXACTLY how I like games to go! Blow up and kill all my stuff, but do it in style!

ADB

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

[quote="thade] Sure, Str 10 is amazing against AV14 and Dreads.....[/quote]

Unless N'Jal is on the board and within 24"..... :twisted:
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 am

whytwolf wrote:
thade wrote: Sure, Str 10 is amazing against AV14 and Dreads.....

Unless N'Jal is on the board and within 24"..... :twisted:

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOUR HERETICAL BARBARIAN APOSTATE!!

That was a pretty epic mage duel though.
Thade = Steve

Return to “The Inquisition”