Slim's Workbench: now with 50% more clutter!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: Slim's Workbench: now with 50% more clutter!

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Whipped up another unit of Wights. This time with axes.

Bring me your finest coffee!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

I've slowly been working on an Abyssal Dwarf army for KoW, using the dwarf half of the two starter box sets I bought years ago. The basic dwarf is pretty generic, if inoffensive, and is just bland enough for me to spruce them up and rework them towards something a bit more Chaos Dwarf-y. Ideally I'm working towards a fusion of Abyssal Dwarfs and both old and new Chaos Dwarfs. Minimal giant hats, sadly, as I'm reserving those for more important models in the army.

One of the Immortal Guard. Converting them is surprisingly easy; just scrape off the old beard, GS a new one, do something with the helmet and give them a chaos warrior weapon, with some marauder shields. It can sound a little tedious, and at times it is, but with the IG I'm only putting 13 models on a regiment base so it's not so bad.

Test paint job for the army color scheme. GW Bloodletter Glaze is the MVP of this paint job--I worked the color up from dark red to yellow, then hit it with Bloodletter and it blended everything together easily. A little purple wash in the recesses help give it a little more depth.

ImageImage

Abyssal Grotesques. Since there's no official model for them, and they're described as bigger, meaner versions of Abyssal Halfbreeds, I decided to crib a little off the FW bull centaurs and made'em big. Chaos Knight horses with black orc torsos, some plasticard, greenstuff, and sewing pins. I've made five of the six I need, and I'm unfortunately short one torso from the mix. So far I haven't found any sellers that sell a single black orc torso on ebay, and the cheapest I'm seeing for a single black orc is close to $10 which is frankly ludicrous.

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Those are coming out really great, but they're giving me terrifying flashbacks of the time I built my chaos dwarf army almost the same way in a single month. I'll continue keeping my eyes peeled for that torso.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:53 am

Current WIP is a Supreme Iron-Caster on Great Winged Halfbreed for KoW.

Bloodcrusher with a Bones Ursula as the rider, with the Bones Pit Fiend wings attached to it (and a bunch of bits, of course). Most of this was easy, barring getting Ursula off her bear mount; that required a lot of cutting and trimming, which was obnoxious as hell. No idea when I'll get around to painting her, but hopefully soon.

Corwin
Whiteshield

Postby Corwin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:26 pm

That's a sweet looking conversion I can't wait to see it painted
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah, that looks really cool! Can't wait to see it.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Painting and Converting”