Slim's Workbench: now with 50% more clutter!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: Slim's Workbench: now with 50% more clutter!

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:12 am

And another one finished. The 'grainy' effect is actually due to me being an idiot and using the rough side instead of the smooth side when I glued it, but it kind of looks like an old mottled painting so I'm not too bothered by it.

Bring me your finest coffee!

Rogue
Whiteshield

Postby Rogue » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 am

damn. this is fairly freaking amazing right here. there might be a time when i ask you for some basing advice, i think they are the best i've ever seen. can't wait to see them all finished and on the table.
Hive Fleet Gremlin falls on your head.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 am

Unfortunately this one kind of ended up looking like a blowup doll, but since an Alp will be taking up that hole + most of the lower portion I'm not too bothered by it.

That makes the last of the 3. Should be able to finish the Alps today.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Been working on Bill's Blood Angels. These are about 80% done; they need to be cleaned up and highlighted, and eventually based.

Adbiel's Cherub. Since it's usually held on such a thin tab, I pinned him in place and then used brown stuff to further reinforce the model.

Finally, we have Ryle with his charming cowboy hat. It really kind of makes him look even MORE goofy but, hey, at least he's fashionable!

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Ryle's model is so ridiculous. He looks like he's from the Simpsons.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Kowal wrote:Ryle's model is so ridiculous. He looks like he's from the Simpsons.

He looked bad BEFORE the hat. His face is so derpy, which is why I suppose they didn't take photos of his face looking straight-on; its always at a slight angle.

I still love how goofy it is despite all that.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Jen's commission, her count-as Ramos (aka Ramona). I went for a more minimalistic approach, while also keeping with the clockwork theme she seemed to be going with her arachnid swarms.

Some of Abdiel's stuff--the Sorrows and the Primordial Magic. For the Sorrows I went with hands pulling the floor apart to let them out; for the PM, I'm not too sure on what I'll do just yet. I'm thinking maybe sludge-like or ruined floorboards.

Abhorsen
Veteran

Postby Abhorsen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:05 am

nice work.

that alternate ramos needs to have a head swap tho. that head is lacking in detail and expression.

for the primodial magic i would go with it sucking some poor fellows soul, that just seems like something it would be doing. and the stuff in its mouth kinda looks to me like it is being sucked in instead of spit out. you could have some guy crippled on a platform, or just bellow him on a floor like u have the other never born. or u could have it passing through the floor into a victim.

keep up the momentium! cheers!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am

Abhorsen wrote:that alternate ramos needs to have a head swap tho. that head is lacking in detail and expression.

There's actually a rice-hat that goes on it, but apparently Jen left it at home at the time she handed it off to me. Looks a lot better with it on there.

Also, good idea on the soul-sucking part.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Been busy with stuff!

Here's the steampunk arachnids. The bases are actually the hatch tops for Space Marine vehicles, which fit almost perfect on a 30mm base AND hides the metal for the magnet.

Most of you have probably already seen the finished Ramos, but I decided to put him up here for the sake of posterity. I'm not sure I want to go all out and give a heavy glow effect like I thought of doing; gonna have to think on it some.

Joss! Due to events in Twisting Fates I gave him a mechanical arm to reflect this change. The original cables broke apart so I had to drill some guitar wire in there, which was...hardly fun at all. His robo-arm is from a plastic space marine bit I ripped off an old figure; I think it was a leg or something at one point.

Scrap counters. I had exactly five extra bases kicking around, which qualifies for one of the League achievements. Used some junk bitz I had kicking around.

And finally, Abdiel's Insidious Madness model. I decided on a warped, crumbling terrain effect with some tentacles coming out of the ground.

Return to “Painting and Converting”