GW got the point

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: GW got the point

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Commander_Jay wrote:
J Rzasa wrote:
But you can't just to go OtW on a Wednesday night and meet someone you've never met before, then play a game of AoS that you'll both find fun without an hour-long conversation beforehand.

This.

Yeah, exactly. You have to make your own rules, guidelines, and a whole series of agreements to play.

I appreciate that they're adding the points and such. But I have no idea why it took this long. It's very easy to do with such a simple system.
They also need to update all the scenarios. First or even second turn wins are unacceptable. Plenty of them favor one side with about a 99% chance to win.

I also don't understand the elimination of Warhammer Fantasy. Why could Fantasy models and that universe use this system? Why did they have to erase everything? (Fluff and lore wise). It ruins a world that people loved for 33 years now. It will always be Orks, Elves, Golbins, Empire, Dwarves, etc; for me. Not the new universe with the new names and everything.

Hopefully it will turn out well, but it hilarious to see it done this way. Compare that to the most recent editions of Malifaux or Warmachine, that did an update, or have it coming very soon. They updated everything in the system, added tons more content, from background stories to new models.

I hope we can have Warhammer Fantasy back! I liked that world, and the hundreds of games played in it.

Going by what some insiders have said, AoS is the brainchild of the new CEO Kevin Roundtree. I've no idea why he decided that nuking 33 years of history was necessary, but one can surmise that it's an ego-driven project to some degree.

You can also say that them removing everything and then renaming them is a (petty) way to trademark what was up to that point, generic faction names. You can't copyright dwarves, but you CAN trademark steamhead duardin and a whole bunch of other verbnoun names that don't make much sense but which you can claim is your own. Given how the whole Chapterhouse case went, I'm banking that this is the case.

Thing is, WHFB as an updated game and setting is dead and gone, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to play in that world using either one of the older editions, 9th Age, or something like Kings of War. It's a bit freeing, really.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:08 pm

More news http://natfka.blogspot.com/2016/04/new- ... igmar.html

The Age of Sigmar will be coming up on its first year birthday this summer, and with it, a full points system along with a narrative game play option. This all sounds wonderful and great and I am personally one person who will welcome the options. The playtesting thing is just wonderful, that the podcast crews were brought in to fold to test this game out.

via Ben Curry on Warseer
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ys-to-play
Details of 'The Generals Handbook' announced. 3 Ways to play
Games Workshop have teamed up with my podcast (The Bad Dice Podcast ) along with Heelanhammer and Facehammer to give details of the new '3 ways to play' announcement.

We were invited into games workshop to playtest the book and this episode is all about our experiences.

Details are:
First thing, its a book and will be release in the summer.
There are 5 new campaigns including path to glory,
22 new battle plans from small games all the way up to epic battles between the games biggest characters.
6 new ‘Pitched Battle’ scenarios
Multi-player and team play and of course,
full points values for every Warscroll in Age of Sigmar.

You can find the full episode at http://baddice.co.uk/generals-handbook- ... -workshop/

via Lady Atia
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/720
- GW is working with tournament organizers to get the stuff right
- There will be points
- There will be unit categories similiar to 40k, Leaders, Battle Line Units, Behemoths and Warmachines (working titles).
- You build your army similiar to 40k now, so you have Battalions and some kind of FoC, depeneding on the points size of your army
- Core Rules + FAQ's stay the same.
- Books are not invalidated
- All warscrolls get points, even Tombkings/Squattonia
- Basically it's Unbound, Story Mode and Tournament Mode

- Open play is basically Unbound or Apocalypse, including rules for multi player battles

- Narrative Play will give you campaign rules similiar to FW's Imperial Armour/HH Campaigns

What do you think so far?

Edit :
- 5 Campaign in the book with a story arc for each. (path to glory included)
- 22 batte plan (small to very big)
- Must have book
- Rules for multiplayer games
- ppl from the podcast playtested the game.
- 2000 points = 2.5hours battle.

-Lady Atia

via WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON?! from the Comment Section on WoS
according to the local gw manager here in the uk, the managers can talk about it (!) and it will likely be £15. many were at hq the last few days reading through the drafts :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Dez wrote:full points values for every Warscroll in Age of Sigmar.

Meaning those Warscrolls that are lingering WHFB remnants (Anvil of Doom, for example) are probably out of luck.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Nope, those are included. Even Squattonia and TK.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I think the point is some don't have Warscrolls. So unless hey add more, they won't have points. By here's hoping they add more!
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:42 pm

All of those rumors sound very promising. Could be some competition to warmachine mkIII if they can get tournament balance correct. GW has really been missing competitive balance for a number of years. As to the chapter house suit, we were just talking this weekend about how that lawsuit really has had a huge impact on GW as a company. It really has transformed them and I am curious if the revenue lost by making all of these changes was really worth what they were losing out on from chapter house. Might have made a great deal more sense for GW to simply made an offer to license the products chapter house was making.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I think the big issue is that GW wasn't really losing much to Chapterhouse. They have been on again and off again with selling marine chapter-specific bits outside of Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Ultramarines. So it's not like people were buying Chapterhouse products over GW ones, they were using Chapterhouse bits to modify GW models they already had. I don't remember Chapterhouse having a lot of whole models, more just modification kits and extra bits for GW models.

And there are countless accessory companies out there that used to and still make tons of stuff either geared specifically for or easily used with GW armies, they were just a little more subtle about it (not using "Space Wolves" and such).

I have heard, though, that British copyright laws are vastly different from US laws. Not sure how accurate it is, but someone was telling me once that, in Great Britain, if you don't defend your IP in cases like this, after a certain amount of time you can effectively lose some of your copyrights. Kind of like squatter laws. And in the UK, they would have won this case easily, but since Chapterhouse is a US company, it was held in US court.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Kinne wrote:I think the big issue is that GW wasn't really losing much to Chapterhouse. They have been on again and off again with selling marine chapter-specific bits outside of Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Ultramarines. So it's not like people were buying Chapterhouse products over GW ones, they were using Chapterhouse bits to modify GW models they already had. I don't remember Chapterhouse having a lot of whole models, more just modification kits and extra bits for GW models.

And there are countless accessory companies out there that used to and still make tons of stuff either geared specifically for or easily used with GW armies, they were just a little more subtle about it (not using "Space Wolves" and such).

I have heard, though, that British copyright laws are vastly different from US laws. Not sure how accurate it is, but someone was telling me once that, in Great Britain, if you don't defend your IP in cases like this, after a certain amount of time you can effectively lose some of your copyrights. Kind of like squatter laws. And in the UK, they would have won this case easily, but since Chapterhouse is a US company, it was held in US court.

While you're correct that GW wasn't losing much to Chapterhouse, that didn't stop them from getting really ticked off that another company was selling knock-off products of stuff that they didn't make but had listed in their codices. Remember, Chapterhouse had that that one model for Tyranids that hadn't had an official GW model of, and very plainly sold it as that model--which a judge upheld in court, iirc, as being fair game. This, and that one instance of GW trying to get an author on Amazon to stop selling a book that had the term "space marines" on it, seems to have caused a total conniption in GW.

It's why we've seen them change whole army names, from space marines to Adeptus Astartes and Imperial Guard to Astra Militarium. Because you can't copyright a generic term like space marines, but your horribly butchered faux latin is fair game. This is a very clear decision on their part to not only distance their product from all those other companies making compatible products, but to give them a stronger stance in court if/when their lawyers get involved.

Unfortunately, in GW's case, I think they're throwing the baby out with the bath water. They're so focused on protecting their IP that they're neglecting the game and the community, and seem entirely happy with the idea of nuking a product that they can't 100% make their own distinct intellectual property.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 am

I think they didn't understand the investment people had with GW's universe.
I'd compare it to Lord of the Rings. Tons of other stories of humans and elves and dwarves and orcs have appeared. But it would be terrible to re-release LotR with new dumb names to make it copyrighted. Duardin, Aelfs, Orruks, etc.

Instead, just be the best in your field. Have the best Elves, best Dwarves, etc.

I think the funny thing is that since GW has abandoned the classic names and armies, people are now looking at other companies. Much more seriously then in the past.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

orkwarboss
Storm Trooper

Postby orkwarboss » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Slimnoid wrote: Given how the whole Chapterhouse case went, I'm banking that this is the case.

Not to jack this thread but CHS has almost folded. Owner now calls it a side job. Orders take months to full.

Now..back too AoS.
Lion El’ Johnson – This one is an oldie but a goodie. Turns out he was a poet from the Victorian era who wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Angel’. He also was rumored to have quite the secret for those times.

Commander_Jay wrote:On the plus side, some of the rules and attacks are hilarious. My Gyrocopter can tilt its rotors and cut through people like a homicidal kitchen blender.

Return to “Warhammer”