Just when I try to get out. . .

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Just when I try to get out. . .

Postby Kinne » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm

. . .they thankfully push me further away. So I was glancing over GW's website, and now that I've had time to reflect, I think I can give AoS a legitimate shot. I've said for years that I prefer fluff over competitive play, and balance has never been GW's strong suit anyway. I'm also warming to the Stormcast Eternal models a little bit, too. Still not sure how I feel about Sigmarines, but they are nice sculpts. The Liberators aren't too bad price-wise, either. They're on 40mm bases, $50 for five, just like terminators, and--HOLY CRAP THE LONE CHARACTER IS $33!!!

GW I just. . .I just can't. $33 for a mono-pose, single model? I was with you when said models were $15. $20, okay, as long as it has tons of detail. But thirty-three? THIRTY-THREE??? I can buy a box of Dwarf warriors for that. It's just too much.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: Just when I try to get out. . .

Postby Dez » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Word. I do think the AoS starter is worth it. I'm probably going to go for the $40 one, it looks good and actually comes with 2 models.

GW killed me with the $36 Tech priest too. The model looks so damn good, I'd even go so far as to build a Cult Mechanicus army around it. I just can't spend the $36 on one model when I can get a box of 10 Skitarii for a similar price!

They are pushing just a little too far.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:29 pm

And I get that they overprice the characters because for each player they pull in they're going to sell one, but that's just over the top.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:23 am

GW have been pricing themselves out of their own game for years now, but it's ramped up greatly over the past couple years. That's actually what killed Fantasy for a lot of people too, when you have 10 models being sold for over $50 and you KNOW you're going to need at least 20, if not more (hello Witch Elves).

Amusingly, Age of Sigmar limited edition rulebook still hasn't sold out. It's been nine days. Whatever else is true about this game, it's clearly not doing as hot as GW expected.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Or they might have printed more rule books. But I'd bet its because that game doesn't really make a focus on the rules, so why have a special rule book? Special models or fluff books or such would sell very well.

Overall, yeah the models are very expensive. I don't get why. Unless they want games to be much smaller scales. I hope they have big box sets for other armies also at huge discounts. For instance the Age of Sigmar box set has the following (some prices are my own estimate, rounded down for fairness):

One Lord-Celestant - $33
One Lord-Relictor - $33
Three Retributors - $30
Two units of five Liberators - $100
Three Prosecutors - $30
One Mighty Lord of Khorne - $30
One Bloodsecrator - $10
One Bloodstoker - $10
One Khorgorath - $30
Five Blood Warriors - $30
Two units of ten Bloodreavers - $60

A ninety-six page Warhammer Age of Sigmar book - $10
A four-page rules set (this is everything you need to know to begin playing)
A pack of twelve dice
Two range rulers
Enough transfers to apply to all of the included Stormcast Eternals

So that would be $406. And some of those estimates are rounded way down. So selling for $125 is an amazing discount, especially by GWs standards. If a Dwarf army came out with that much stuff it'd be great!

Actually, it was surprising seeing the prices of the individual boxes. I assumed based on the starter that they'd be the cheapest yet. Which would have made this all much more interesting.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 pm

I thought they'd dial back the prices a bit too.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 am

So, has everyone stopped playing the old Warhammer Fantasy now?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:24 pm

By circumstance, it nearly stopped a while ago. And its at the same leve of being very uncommonly played now. A few games of Age of Sigmar and 8th edition have been played.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Corwin
Veteran

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:51 pm

I have started playing 6th again with Adam.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:37 pm

I'm interested in Age of Sigmar. I think it's going to be a Funtime. However, I am all about KoW for tournaments.

ADB

Return to “Warhammer”