Age of Sigmar Rumors

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: Age of Sigmar Rumors

Postby Dez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:50 pm

J Rzasa wrote:~J

PS: If you don't enjoy pushing giant blobs of dudes to the center of the table and rolling 3+ 4+ 3+ 4+ all day, I don't know how you ever got into Warhammer in the first place. That is pretty much the description of Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. Except sometimes your dudes sit back and shot at things in the center of the table rolling 3+'s and 4+'s. And sometimes a 5+.

Excellent and hilarious point! I was more thinking about losing the maneuvering WFB has/had. It's now 360 degree arc, so you can't really slip around and attack from a different, more advantageous angle. No more blocking charge lanes. Again, this is just from what I've read and watching reviews I really don't know what's what, I want to have fun playing a game (and it's also the reason I don't play Warmahordes anymore).
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:01 pm

J Rzasa wrote:But to contrast that same point, neither Monopoly or Munchkin are bad games. Sure, they may not be good (I disagree on Munchkin, it's good but not great), but just because they aren't good doesn't mean they are bad.

Generally speaking if a game isn't good, it's probably bad! There's gray areas, certainly, but both the games I listed are pretty bad; they focus almost entirely on luck, with no real strategy involved, and in the case of Munchkin you hold on to the "screw you" cards and use them when someone is about to win to artificially extend the length of the game. Monopoly is 100% luck-based and if you land on the right properties you basically win, and the rest of the game is just the slow walk towards that as you drain people's money.

J Rzasa wrote:Warmachine/Hordes is a game that is considered well balanced and assembled by a company that doesn't have a rancid contempt for it's player base. I don't have fun playing it. Is that a good game?

I don't have fun playing Warmahordes either, and it's why I stopped playing a long time ago, but I also recognize that its tight ruleset and focus on competitive play is examples of a well-made game--the sheer popularity of it in both casual and competitive play is proof of that. It's the same thing with X-Wing--that's a very good game, but I have no desire to play it because I don't like Star Wars.

I can recognize when a game is well-made even when I don't want to play it; conversely, I know when a game is bad even when I do want to play it.

J Rzasa wrote:PS: If you don't enjoy pushing giant blobs of dudes to the center of the table and rolling 3+ 4+ 3+ 4+ all day, I don't know how you ever got into Warhammer in the first place. That is pretty much the description of Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. Except sometimes your dudes sit back and shot at things in the center of the table rolling 3+'s and 4+'s. And sometimes a 5+.

That's disingenuous and you know it.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

This was posted over on Bartertown, thought I'd share:

"GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.
There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.
They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.
The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

I forgot probably the best/worst bit. I asked him if he knew that it was possible to win the game first turn with the screaming bell/fateweaver thing. 'Thats deliberate' he said. 'You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you do stuff like that you probably wont have many people to play against."
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

I am glad to see GW joining the fold of major cons. I know they have had a bit more of a presence at some cons lately. However of you were a new player in a location to compare entering the hobby with other games, I would think GW would be a hard choice. An environment devoid of a local following and many companies all working to push GW, the biggest difficulty would be the start up cost. GW is a solid 30+ more than any other game starter sets.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 pm

If not points, I wonder how they will balance things? They could assigned levels and tiers (but to be precise that's the same a points, with a different scale). Kind of like other games (Wrath of Kings, or many roleplaying games).

Requiring specific lists for a scenario would be very restrictive if proxies are not allowed. Perhaps you'd have to pick from a large list? And bring one of many pre-built army lists.

Then again since GW always assigned points according to the author's choices and not play tests or formulas, I dunno if balance will be the goal for Age of Sigmar.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Ankaru
Veteran

Postby Ankaru » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:35 am

I like that the rep was honest. Helps their image slightly. Only slightly, since they have yet to update Sisters of Battle to 7th edition, when every other army is getting brand spanking new books and FAQs. Sisters have no FAQ at all.

I know that isn't AoS related, but just my two cents, as I really want to play Sisters again.
Fantasy is cool. Sci-fi is cool too. But when you combine them, they become even cooler.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:25 am

I was supposed to play tonight, but called it off. My friend wanted to play Nagash, and I had this really evil Warriors of Chaos list made. My list had Archaon and Crom, as well as 6 Chaos Lords and 6 Sorcerers. It was primarily Trolls, Knights, 2 Chimeras, a Giant, Chariot, Hellcannon, and whatever other big/mounted models I had. Chaos Lords can summon units with Slaves to Darkness. My plan was to deploy 1/3 less models, and choose to hold a terrain feature. I would then hit Nagash with overwhelming Mortal Wounds, while summoning absolutely ridiculous amounts of Warriors and Marauders onto the board from all quarters to overwhelm the terrain feature. It was kind of exciting...but then I began to feel really, really beardy. I didn't want this to be what the game was about, so I'm going to wait for the starter set.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:36 pm

It's not beardy, it's Age of Sigmar!

But seriously, though, if he was taking Nagash, he would've deserved it. That dude ignores mortal wounds on a 4+, and reflects them back at you on a 6. He's replaced Kairos as the Grand High Douchebag.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Also it appears that Slaanesh got busted in a prostitution ring and sent off to Guantanamo

ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:57 pm

He got stolen by an elf. An elf.

Can't have the god of Sex, Drugs, and COCAINE in a game for 9-year-olds.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Return to “Warhammer”