A taste of 9th ed magic?

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

A taste of 9th ed magic?

Postby Kinne » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm

From the Elves End Times book:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3YisezIcAEjIkr.jpg:large

So now you have potentially double the dice, but a random restriction on casting. D6 dice per spell? So if you try anything 11+ or up and roll a one, you fail. However, you can spam the shit out of lower spells. Right now, this is only for use in special, agreed-upon conditions. But I could see this being a test for the next edition.

Also, spamming Invocation of Nehek with a level 4 caster? Yes, please. I'm gonna need a LOT more skeletons. . .
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Re: A taste of 9th ed magic?

Postby Commander_Jay » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 am

Some lores would be very overpowered. All those with great low level spells. Any high levels spells will suck, because you'd have to be lucky on that 1d6 roll in order to make it work.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:58 am

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=870

Pretty much everything from the elf book regarding magic.

Long and short of it: it's dumb and makes magic even more powerful, but it's purely for End Times stuff so unless they FAQ it to be a core thing then opponents need to agree on it. Which means 98% of games won't see it happening.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 am

They did FAQ the end times Nagash stuff to be standard in games. The army comp and the ability for any army to use the end times magic lore are now standard rules in fantasy.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:51 am

And the Undead Legions themselves. They're an official army book.

And Slim, I saw that too. It's more a question of whether this is a test for 9th edition magic. It also begs the question since End Times books are Army Books, if you allow the Khaine book to be used in a tourney, do the End Times magic rules apply in all games, only in games where the elves are being used or not at all?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Kinne wrote:And the Undead Legions themselves. They're an official army book.

And Slim, I saw that too. It's more a question of whether this is a test for 9th edition magic. It also begs the question since End Times books are Army Books, if you allow the Khaine book to be used in a tourney, do the End Times magic rules apply in all games, only in games where the elves are being used or not at all?

The rules in the End Times book use specific language. "If you're playing End Times you have to use these rules." That's it, and it's hardly surprising for an End Times army book to say that. If you're not playing End Times, you still have the 50% lords/heroes expansion, but that's the only part of this that has affected the base Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition rules so far. The various army lists fall under that clause, I believe.

If this is a test bed for 9th edition magic, and everything is just crazy spells that end games in a turn, I'm not sure I'd want to continue playing. It's nuts enough as it is, and I've straight-up won games with a single casting of Purple Sun; hell, there's sufficient level of randomness within setting up the game that I beat Dez on a technicality in one turn using Beastmen. It too longer to set up the game than it was to play it.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Return to “Warhammer”