Characters riding warbeasts and Look Out Sir!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Characters riding warbeasts and Look Out Sir!

Postby Kinne » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:17 pm

So according to the rulebook, if a character has a Warbeast mount, they "use the rules for cavalry". I would guess this means that they use the rules, but don't change unit type (since it doesn't say they "become unit type cavalry"), so the mounted character still counts as a Warbeast, i.e. if they're in or near a unit of WB's, they'll get a LoS roll as normal.

Secondly, under the Combined Units rules on pg 99. If a character is the same unit type as the unit he's in, he's never hit by ranged attacks that roll To Hit. If he's not the same, you can spread wounds out across the unit, reducing the chance of getting hit. Under Unusual Shooting Attacks, though, it gives no such provision. It simply states that if there are five or more RnF models and they're the same unit type, you get a LoS roll on a 2+. However, the second portion only references fewer than five models, not unit type. I'm guessing this was an omission, and if the character is a different unit type he never gets a LoS roll, but it doesn't state one way or the other and it doesn't clear it up in the FAQ.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: Characters riding warbeasts and Look Out Sir!

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Pg 104 talks about character mounts and if mounted on a beast they become unit type cavalry. So the normal look out sir should be in effect. You gain the benefit in cab unit but not in any other.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:42 pm

This has had me scratching my head too. If I wanted to take a Warlord on Bonebreaker, could I safely put him into a unit of Rat Ogres? Because if so, I'm going to finish my conversion and make some more Rat Ogres too :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Lakomasoi
Whiteshield

Postby Lakomasoi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 am

No because the MBR is a monstrous beast and the RO's are not

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:32 am

And by that last portion of the mixed unit rules, a character on a mount can just be cannon sniped out of a unit.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:38 am

Of course. If he stands out based on size from the rest of the unit, it would make sense that he is a bigger target. Although I guess it is odd to be picked out due to being significantly smaller.
Wyrd Henchman

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:22 pm

To me, there's not a lot of logic to that (I'm looking at GW here). Isn't a Bonebreaker a Rat Ogre for all intents and purposes? Shouldn't they fit in with a unit of them? That drives me crazy, i've got this really nice conversion started that I probably won't finish for fear of it being the first thing dead every game.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:04 pm

True, he's a larger target, but a cannon firing with perfect accuracy across a battlefield to hit one guy? Between that and cannons hitting both riders and mounts, that's pretty wreck.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 pm

The hitting both rider and mount is terrible, but by the look of things when 9th comes around riders and mounts will have a single profile anyway.
Wyrd Henchman

Return to “Warhammer”