Something needs to be done

nate the tank
Whiteshield

Re: Something needs to be done

Postby nate the tank » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 pm

I know magic is the main money maker we all know that. That's why I never say anything about it.
40k Space marines (forever growing)
Warmachine Khador
Hordes trollbloods
Flames of war germans

Gingerlicious
Recruit

Postby Gingerlicious » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am

I just dropped Netgeist a PM about the complications he suffered by my group(Sunday morning group).
If anyone has a concern about my group, PLEASE come to me and let me know. I do realize that over the course of the last 3-5 weeks, we have began to run longer than normal(I think last week we played until 5-5:30ish), but that has been to finish sections of adventures that didn't need to carry over for a week or two. I will get with my group next Sunday(we are not gaming this weekend) and address our 'footprint' in the store.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:14 am

So, a couple of things I want to say to clear this up a little.

1) The Wednesday night D&D group originally had a deal with Jadam. They play on Wednesday Nights because the majority of those players can only play on Wednesdays. Moving them to another night is not possible.

2) Wednesday night is Miniatures Night hosted by The 131. Effectively the space is dedicated to Miniature Games and Miniature Game related Activities (ie painting, assembling, etc.). This is the same as when we dedicate the store to Magic like during a Prerelease, or on a Friday night for Friday Night Magic. All of these things are scheduled events, and for the most part people have been pretty good about making room for them when we've needed it.

3) We had a posted policy that we will make room for Closed RPG groups if possible. However, if a scheduled event uses up all of the space, we will not be able to accomodate. This will be posted once more, it was erased and not reposted. This was an oversight.

4) There is a little bit of fault on both sides here. As a Kevin and one or two others have noted, there is a habit of people bringing in lots of bags, bringing in lots of containers, and generally spreading out and taking up more space than they really should. I'm guilty of this sometimes, as is everyone. The store has taken steps to try and confine Magic events to as few tables as possible for this reason, as they will spread out too. So don't think this is the store targeting certain people. Our goal is to fit as many gamers into the store as wants to be there. That being said, I don't like hearing that people are being evicted from tables. I'm sure there was enough saltiness on both sides, mostly due to a building conflict. I hear about this every weekend, and I've heard complaints from both sides.

I haven't gotten a chance to talk to any of the D&D group yet. I did talk to Paully, I got some second hand info, but I'd like to speak to their GM and hash this out.

I'd like to ask you guys to be civil. I have already heard rumblings of people looking to be purposefully antagonistic, and I don't need that. It's a bad look for the club. It's a bad look for the people who engage in our hobby. If you want an example of what I'm talking about, think about Magic Players. I think if I asked most people how they felt about the general Magic crowd, they would say they are irritating, whiny, entitled jerks. One thing I have always liked about the Miniatures crowd is that for the most part, we're just there to have a good time. Please keep that image in mind when moving forward.

Hopefully next week I will get to talk to Matt (their GM) and get this ironed out so we don't have these issues again.

~J

netgeist
Veteran

Postby netgeist » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 am

Ginger,

I did get your message and tried to send you a reply privately but have not had the site's cooperation in doing so. I did not intend to bring you any difficulty or hardship. I love role-playing games and want to see more of it at the store... not less. I merely wanted to bring attention to a space issue... not cause grief or single anyone out.

While i could have interrupted you, you guys were at an exciting part and sounded like you were having fun. I've run a ton of games at conventions and respect GMs too much to break that momentum. I want other people to have fun at the store. I certainly have a good time there and being tolerant sometimes means small sacrifices like not being able to buy something.

I've actually been thinking about ways to resolve issues like this ever since. Carving out more space might be too hard for the store to pull off but I may have some ideas on helping you hang maps on a portable easel. What size is your map?

Finally, on the issue of having fun...I have space for a game here in Northampton if you need another player and a private place to play!

- Bob

Gingerlicious
Recruit

Postby Gingerlicious » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:22 am

Thank you of the offer. Natasha and I are going to try to get down to OTW tonight so maybe we can get together and talk.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 am

Death to the false Roleplayer!

I've loved RPG's for years, and have nothing against it or people that do. I think we can all get along. Miniature Gaming just takes up a LOT of space, it's not so miniature. We have hundreds of models, books, reference material, dice, terrain, bags, carrying cases...we take up a big footprint. There's only so much space to go around.

Has anyone asked or researched what other game stores or clubs do in this situation?
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Blastercrazy
Whiteshield

Postby Blastercrazy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:12 pm

To help alleviate the space issue I have moved allot of unused terrain into boxes and bins and left what is needed on tables. Terrain that is useful but not being used has been placed on the top shelves of the tables with shelves and has been placed to one side of tables with out a shelf. There is now a space on all the tables on both sides for players to place their bags and containers on shelves under the terrain tables.

Please be courteous of others if you are not using the card tables to play games. Please do not leave bags and containers on the card tables if you are not using them. I will be keeping an eye on things while working at the shop and remind anyone to move their stuff if it is getting busy.
Sauce for the goose Mr. Saavik. The odds will be even.

He shall rule them with a rod of Iron.
- Revelations 11:25

Return to “General Discussion”