Function Buttons

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Function Buttons

Postby Kinne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Anyone else unable to get the function buttons to work? Like Bold, Underline, etc. I've tried in Safari and Chrome.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: Function Buttons

Postby Dez » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:35 am

They haven't worked for a while, but it's simple BBCode.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:10 am

Yeah, I've been having the issue for a while, but I didn't know if it was just me.

And it's not too difficult, but it's inconvenient to always include the code, and I can't get certain functions, like inserting an attached file inline, to work at all.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 am

IMO site should be nuked, I think there is corruption in the database...may have been after an update.

I've actually been looking into solutions, and there is one I've found that is absolutely fantastic. The only trouble may be that it's $20 a month...but as an avid forum visitor, it's the bee's knees. Each user can create their own blog, put all pics in a gallery, upload files to share, add items to a shareable calendar (integrates with iCal, might with google as well still looking into it), and create pages. Pages could be a great way of inserting RSS feeds and other widgets, so there is an actual hub for information (like events) that is automatically fed in. So no more searching around everywhere forever trying to find local events. The Calendar also allows for people to register for events as well.

https://invisionpower.com/

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:43 am

That might be a little overkill. I don't know how many people would want to create their own blogs and whatnot.

Then again, opening it up for member blogs wouldn't be a terrible idea. Each member would pay roughly one month's service fee (dues are still $15, right?), so as long as we had sixteen paying members, we would be all set.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:01 am

I am pretty certain that is the format the Wyrd uses for their forums. It is very nice, but again the price would be something to consider. If the club invests 16 memberships per year into paying for a site, not sure if domain is included in that but I would assume so, that would be $120.00 more than we pay now which would have to come out of prize support, and parties.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am

What if we just upgraded the BB system we have now? Maybe even to a newer one? After all, we've been using this format for almost seven years.

I'm not sure how doable or simple this is, though, which may be why we haven't done it.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:04 am

I think a big part of it is our current officers are not entirely tech savvy with that sort of thing, and the person who does the web stuff works a million hours per week, so we try to maintain things as well as we can.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:15 am

Oh absolutely. And I think it's been like this since before our current tech officer took over, as a result of the entire site exploding about five years ago. I think J never had the time available to do what was needed to overhaul things, so we kept it running as best as possible.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to transition to a newer system that's easier to maintain.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Transition would be easy...granted we know who actually owns/controls the domain at this time :)

I think one of the key features from the Invision boards are the Pages (for imbedding news feeds, imagine getting all your gaming news in one place?) and the Calendar. There can be multiple Calendars, and they integrate back and forth with iCal and Google Calendars. So you could create one calendar for events, so people know all the local and club things that are coming up as well as RSVP for them. You could create a second calendar for matches, so people could put up their available times they were looking for games and have other people accept those challenges if I'm correct. I know my company's stuff works similarly.

It is the same forums that Wyrd use...though they've used CSS to eradicate any obvious trail :)

ADB

Return to “General Discussion”