Mordheim Video Game

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: Mordheim Video Game

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:00 am

Skirmish games are supposed to be about converting and building characterful models. The idea behind it is that you're building less models, so you should have more time to put into making cool models. So if a model loses a leg, you might build a model that is on crutches. Or if he loses an arm, you might build a dude with a bloody stump where his arm used to be. Guys like me and Dez love this, as it is fun to do, and looks really cool.

However, money and time usually catch up to us all, and the best intentions fail. This would be easy for me with an Orc and Goblin, or Lizardman list, as I have a TON of unbuilt models and bits laying around. But when I built my beastman warband, it would have been pretty hard to do this. I simply didn't have the bits or the models to make really cool dudes.

I'm really excited about this game, I'm going to add it to my list of games I will probably pay full price for. The list stands at three: Blood Bowl 2 (here is hoping the AI is better), Mordheim, and Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord.

~J

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 am

It has a lot to live up to. If the game doesn't have perfect multiplayer and co-op, I'll be disappointed and wanting a better version.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Postby Grandmaster marc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 pm

This sounds promising actually I cannot wait just like that announced Warhammer total war last year or the year before.
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Teaser video is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8ARu8RWLs

Early access is in November and you can sign up here: http://mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/
Bring me your finest coffee!

Blastercrazy
Whiteshield

Postby Blastercrazy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:50 am

Magnetizing helps with the wysiwyg, though the game would be really cool. Is the video game multiplayer? I only saw a trailer on IGN the link did not work for me...
Sauce for the goose Mr. Saavik. The odds will be even.

He shall rule them with a rod of Iron.
- Revelations 11:25

AdamL
Whiteshield

Postby AdamL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Awww man can i bring back my vampire warband or maybe my dwarf treasure seekers?! Mordheim is what got me into Warhammer waaay back in the ole days of Dragon's lair.
"Shoot the choppy and chop the shooty"

Guide to being an ork: Learn it, live it so you don't muck about!
http://matthewfarrer.files.wordpress.co ... wchart.png
Ork Taktikz
http://i.imgur.com/gKcI5cI.jpg

You can never have enough dakka for it is like the speed of light. You can come close but you can never attain it.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

Alright, so I decided to dive in and get Early Access. Right off the bat, anyone else considering it but totally on the fence, I would say hold off. They are offering it 20% off right now, which is nice, but the game is extremely limited as it stands. I played through all four Tutorials and two Skirmishes, and here're my takeaways:

- The system is very well done. Each character has Action Points (movement, reloading, adopting stances, etc.) and Combat Points (attacking, casting spells, activating certain abilities, adopting other stances, etc.). Each guy has a zone of control. Once you contact an enemy's zone, you're engaged. You can move through friendly zones, but can't stop within them. Combined with the fact that you can't move through an enemy's zone at all, this can lead to some great bottlenecking on the narrow streets of Mordheim.
- Initiative turn based. You don't get to see too many stats in detail (there's no warband creation/leveling yet), but it seems like each model has an initiative value that helps for things like climbing/leaping, but also determines activation order. Instead of one entire warband going and then the other one going, models go in an initiative order. But going second isn't a bad thing. If one of your mans has enough leftover Combat Points, attacking them will result in a counter-attack.
- The game is GORGEOUS. Highest settings did make my computer crash once, so I toned it down a little bit, but it still looks beautiful. I saw five or six different maps, and they really captured the feel of the City of the Damned ( blood fountains, twisted mutations, random skeletons, Morrsleib and Mannsleib, etc.). The character models are very nice as well, with lots of detail even on medium settings.

I can see this game being a must-have for a Mordheim fan, provided the warband creation and advancement shows as much thought and care as the combat system and aesthetics. That being said, the game has very little to it right now. There are four tutorial missions which gradually introduce more rules. Across these you see Mercenaries, Skaven, Cult of the Possessed and Sisters of Sigmar. Outside of that, though, there are only Skirmish missions which have Mercs and Skaven with pre-generated warbands and some features unavailable (looting corpses, finding wyrdstones, experience, any kind of post-battle activity,etc.). I probably won't play much until they introduce more features, but I figured I'd be picking the game up anyway and a twenty-percent discount just sealed the deal. Oh, and the spelling errors. Sweet Sigmar, the spelling errors. Like the Tutorial window about Morale where it's spelled "Moral" each time. And it's in there a good six or seven times. Ouch.

Some stuff they have now:
- Stances. You can spend Action Points to adopt a Parry Stance (if you have a Parry weapon) or a Dodge Stance to keep you alive. If you have Combat Points, you can adopt an Ambush Stance (melee attack if an enemy appears) or an Overwatch Stance (ranged attack).
- Skills. Yep, skills are there. Again, not too much detail on these, but they're there.
- Perception. You can spend a single AP to look around you. The environment has hazards (loose boards/rocks, traps, etc.) and using this action can warn you about some of them. There is a chance of failure, though.

All in all, I have very high hopes for this game.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:58 am

Can you actually fail on climbing up/down things like I think it does?

Because while that's fine for a tabletop game, it's downright unfun in a turn-based strategy game where position is vitally important and having that get mucked up because of the RNG smacks of bad game design.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:19 am

Yep, you certainly can. I believe Initiative and worn armor have a direct impact on it. Them damn rats were jumping up and down walls all day, while my merc dude in heavy armor fell like a sucka.

You're not automatically knocked down and suffer massive damage, though. You might lose some AP.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:19 am

Kinne wrote:Yep, you certainly can. I believe Initiative and worn armor have a direct impact on it. Them damn rats were jumping up and down walls all day, while my merc dude in heavy armor fell like a sucka.

You're not automatically knocked down and suffer massive damage, though. You might lose some AP.

That sounds annoying as hell.

Return to “Mordheim”