Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

thade
Veteran

Re: Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

Postby thade » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Custom Runesmith

Here is is, side-aways. Took this shot before I put skin colors on him, but they're on him. I'm a fan of the fist he's holding before him, menacingly. (Dramatic shot pending.)

All runesmiths I've seen seem to have staves...which are maybe Great Weapons? Well, here is his staff/great weapon. The biggest hammer in my army; it's basically a lucerne hammer with a Big Business End.

Carving up bits to form a sort of mantle hanging on his back; I have a third piece that need a bit more whittling but will look near-identical to the left piece here, making it symmetrical (or roughly so). Hard to see here because it's got a rough base coat in brown which is very near the cloak colors) but it'll be all gold and shiny.

Longbeards

I was going for the whole "We're rangers" thing, even if they are never taken as rangers in an army list (though I may, it seems like it might actually work now that they can hope to charge something in the new rules) so they are in dark forest green with a lot of browns, both light and dark, for belts, barding, and cloaks. I'm sad to say I didn't shoot a shot of the cloaks except for the champion (who has a space wolf colored cloak <3 ).

The unit champion (actually the thane model from BfSP) for my longbeards.

Standard bearer.

The unit at a glance.

Once the detail work is done I'll take some clearer shots. =) OMG I'M PAINTING AGAIN.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

thade
Veteran

Re: Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

Postby thade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 am

For my money, flesh is one of the three most annoying things to paint on models...which are, in order of annoyance:

1. Skin
2. More than an eyeball worth of white area.
3. More than an eyeball worth of yellow area. <-- REALLY annoying

To get the skin tone that I got on my original set of warriors (keep in mind I based in matte black Krylon), I did
- coat of Scorched Brown
- coat of 50/50 Scorched Brown/Dwarven Flesh
- 2x washes of Dwarven flesh
- touch-up pass of dwarven flesh
- very watered down wash of Scorched Brown

Recently I've replaced the final wash with Devlan mud (which makes that final step a LOT easier) and I like the look of it. Still need touch ups and highlights, but closer and closer they come.

Finished the backdressing on the Runesmith; just need to paint it up now. Hopefully it won't be too gaudy.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”