Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

Postby whytwolf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:10 am

Nice job! They look awesome dude!
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 am

Lookin' good. Very nice work on the gemstones.

Also, you do realize this now means you're obliged to grow a beard?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kalaris
Veteran

Postby Kalaris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 am

I don't know, we'd have to change his name to Beard-Steve

and that army is looking so manly while reading this thread my Eyes grew beards (then I had to shave so I could see)

They're looking great and you're churning them out so fast, I kinda wish I had time to build my empire army
(WAY too many projects on the table right now)

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 am

Here's the effect painting them had on me:

I sympathize with Carl.

...Thank you everybody for the compliments. =) Makes me kind of want to PAINT MORE OF THEM. Good thing; I have easily 80ish dwarves to go.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Ha!
Recruit

Postby Ha! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm

LOL @ Carl.
Man this makes me want to start a Dwarf Army TODAY.Love the fluff,the look, the beards. Problem is, they seem so boring to play...

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I respectfully disagree. I think with a ridiculous amount of artillery they will be very fun to play. Cannons seem intrinsically interesting to me. <3
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 am

Progress report!

I started the longbeards last Thursday, buuuut thentookliketwodaysofftomarathonbadshows and now I'm back to it.

The longbeards are 17 warriors, the muscian and standard from the BfSP Thunderer's unit, and the Thane from BfSP (which didn't look all that fancy a Thane, so I thought he'd make an excellent Longbeard champion). Most of them (not well pictured) are wearing the tiny (and ENORMOUSLY aggravating) face masks.

(Out of order pic of the Champion, whose beard is now grey.)

All of the Longbeards (and my characters, for sure) will have grey beards. (I'm a rebel, I know.)

The Thunderer standard bearer has only two guns, both of which hung from the standard...easy enough to trim off. The Thunderer musician had an oversized gun molded into his back, and it was too large for a shield to cover, even gouged, whittled, and filed down. So, I trimmed the bottom of it down to look like a coat lapel, which I think worked out okay. (Can you tell there was a gun there?)

Here's a step by step of my custom Runesmith build/conversion (from a Thunderer body).

I like the particularly full and flowing beard with the icons dangling from it, and I stuck a cape on him. Runesmiths (and lords) in all of the pictures only seem to have two things: hammers and staves (the latter seems to mark their station, nothing more).

First, the hammer. The body I picked has a full left arm (save the hand) and no right arm at all, and the standard (seemed best to craft a staff out of) with only one hand on it was a full right arm. So, I wanted to put the hammer in the left hand. To do this, I took a warrior hammer (right hand) and a Thunderer sprue musician drumstick (left hand), and did some carving.

For the staff, I took one standard with an anvil/book/dangly top (held in one hand), and got a little chop-happy as it had two pieces I wanted (a shaft and an anvil) and a lot I didn't (book, danglies, a pretty generous height).

(Yes, the staff is crooked, but fear it, it is not yet glued.) The book (not pictured) split nicely in half and I think some filing and glue will make it look cool in the arm(s) of another runesmith (in place of a staff). The danglies (above his head) I'll carve up a bit and hang on his back, over the cape, as a mantle. (Hopefully it works out the way I think it will.)

Last but not (exactly) least, I have been mass producing bases with brown spray primer and a rather pain-staking wash of Scorched Brown. This includes the three unit trays I bought (before I knew any better), figuring if they have that much too them, they may as well match the bases they'll be carrying.

Thade = Steve

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 am

Lookin' good, man. I'll try and get another Fantasy game in soon, so you can check out the Dwarfs in action.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 am

I wish I had a further along update than last time, but more to do this week + harder to work with paints for the Longbeards = a very long process. I also have continued the mass production of bases, some evidence of which was apparent when I debuted my dwarf warriors on Weds night. (Turns out ten thunderers and twenty warriors are not enough to turn the tide against four units of lizardmen, but my thane kicked the crap out of some lizard chump that called himself a general. Then ran away like a little girl, so I stripped him of his title.)

When I first bought the dwarves I bought these display plates that I decided would look better if they matched the bases than if I were to leave them as dull grey plastic.

And here are some shots of the in-progress longbeards, silver metal work done (or at least ground-coated) and some ground coat for gold (a dull and hard to work with bestial brown).

Hopefully I cover more ground tomorrow night. Wee!
Thade = Steve

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:15 am

You are CRANKIN' out this army, and it's looking great!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”