Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

thade
Veteran

Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

Postby thade » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 am

THE LIST (updated for 8th ed):

A block of 30 warriors w/ GW, full command - 9 out of 30, Champion done.
A block of 20 warriors w/ HW/Shield, full command - 10 done, standard and musician
A block of 30 longbeards w/ GW, full command - 20 on deck, detail work pending
A block of 20 hammerers w/ full command

Teams of ten thunderers
Two cannons
Two organ guns (if possible these will be convertible to cannons via magnets)

A gyrocopter

Dwarf Lord (my general)
Battle Standard Bearer
Demon Slayer (my "bad idea")
Runesmith (out of spare parts)

THE STORY:

I started the hobby in June with the primary motivator being to play the game. Deciding between 40k and Fantasy at the time was easy...I was indifferent and Jer - the only friend who seemed interested in also buying into the game - vastly preferred 40k. It also helped that I played a tremendous amount of Dawn of War and had a thing for the back story of the Space Marines.

Jer had been painting miniatures for ages - mostly for our DnD gaming groups: it was something he very much enjoyed. He was very eager to paint my models for me, something I wasn't opposed to as I'd never done it before and presumed I had no skill. So I bought the Assault on Black Reach set and he set off to painting...he painted the Captain, a marine, and a single ork...and he HATED painting the ork. He was quiet about it at first, finishing my AoBR marines. I thought asking him to paint thrice as many orks was pushing the luck of this essentially free commission, so I told him I'd paint the orks if he'd show me how. (I figured what did I care, I never planned to play the orks. Sorry, Dez.)

It took me approximately five minutes of painting to realize I was hypnotically entertained by it. I painstakingly and eagerly painted all of the orks (except the Warboss, which Jer was excited to paint). After finishing, I found myself buying a box of marines to paint myself: after painting all of this rippling muscles and scars on the orks, the marines were a cinch (especially since I chose black as the base color: spray paint was a win there). Since then, except for the occasional surprise from Master Jer, I've been painting my own marines.

Still, the marines aren't all my work and are pretty simple...I really wanted an army I could entirely call my own. I considered two other 40k armies. First the Orks (since I already had them), which I gave up on because I just didn't like the way they felt when I played them. Then the Grey Knights, which were fun, but way too expensive to get into (as they are all metal and require more land raiders). Then I found myself looking at the fantasy armies people were playing and poking in the books...and I found myself looking at four more armies which all looked awesome: Ogres, Vampire Counts, and High Elves. The latter I ruled out early as I didn't feel I had the skill to paint them, and so I looked through the rule books of the former two. Then I found myself reading through all of the rulebooks for the Fantasy armies, and found a favorite.

It happened when I read the "Old Grumbler's Rule" and laughed my ass off at the sincere stoic resignation that the Longbeards had in reference to Dwarf Warriors failing a morale check...a stinging resignation which gives neighboring units a reroll on their morale. A later chat with Kinne and the fact there was a starter set with a small rule book for Fantasy in it and my decision was made. Dwarves it would be.

Here you can see my first nine warriors, mostly painted now, some still needing metalwork on their axes and helms, but faces and beards complete. For warriors I found myself thinking that these guys are from different families and guilds, there's no reason for them to have a uniform...so I made them all individuals. A tremendous time sink, but it still feels worth it to look at them. It's so time consuming that I will be uniforming other units I make...except for future blocks of warriors. I also put subtle differences colorwise into almost every beard, mixing, blending, and washing different combinations of browns, off-whites, and in some cases a little red or yellow. While the I will uniform later dwarves, I will still stick to the alternations in beard colors...as I feel I need to differentiate between each dwarf some how.

My first standard bearer; I felt like for this dwarf to have the honor of carrying this unit's standard, he's been with the unit for a while, perhaps was it's champion at one point. This isn't typical of standard bearers, certainly...but it is this guy's story. Also, I enjoyed putting the little grey streaks through his brown beard.

Here I've started the final nine members of the unit (nine warriors from BfSP + nine warriors from Battalion box + musician + standard bearer from BfSP = 20). Beards are about midway done (not in this picture), chainmail is done along with leather straps/belts, and the faces are begun.

The nine from BfSP came with hand weapons and shields, so I'm equipping the second chunk of nine with great weapons...setting all of the hammers aside for a unit of hammerers, and anything particularly cool for a unit of longbeards.

The unit veteran/champion i decided will be a younger dwarf that happens to be a BAMF. He'll be the only member of the unit with a cape, and will get purple with gold trim for his cloak...I think. I've gotta stare at him some more.

For the future are three pieces out of a heap of stuff I got at the 131 auction for like $15...from left to right a Dragon Slayer, Lord with Oathstone, and Battle Standard Bearer. All three look like a LOT of fun to paint, but I'll be doing them dead last as I want to make sure I am in a dwarf painting groove for them.

Alright. Hopefully opening myself up to this kind of scrutiny will get me motivated. Back to painting. ;)
Last edited by thade on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Greywolf
Privateer Press Ganger

Re: Thade's Hammer ~ Tale of the Fifth Gamer

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:16 am

Nice looking throng there so far bud. :twisted:
Raise your flagons Sons of Russ, the dawn of our victory is upon us.

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks, Jeff. =)

The initial list follows (UPDATED):

A block of 20 warriors w/ full command
A block of 20 longbeards w/ full command
A block of 20 hammerers w/ full command

Two teams of ten thunderers
Two cannons (courtesy of Dez)
Two organ guns (if possible these will be convertible to cannons via magnets)

A gyrocopter

Dwarf Lord (my general)
Battle Standard Bearer
Dragon Slayer (my "bad idea")
Runesmith

Tentatively I'd like to build "Shieldbearers" (or at least two dwarves that could "count as Shieldbearers") for the Lord (or a lord figure) to stand on. My understanding is as long as it's recognizable and takes two bases, it'll fly...so that's the goal. So far I'm short on ideas, but I've asked a few people (and I ask you now) for a large round shield, or a barrel or anything that might be appropriate (and large enough) for a dwarf to stand on whilest carried by two sturdy dwarves.
Last edited by thade on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 am

My work continues. Tonight I wrapped up the majority of the metal detail work on the dwarf warriors unit. Here can be seen helms:

and weapon detail work on the 2H axes, including inlays (these require a bit of clean up, particularly around the bracers, and I haven't touched the hafts at all):

Inlays were a snap, using a watered down dwarven bronze wash that I just traced in the cuts with an 18/0 spotter; fell right into place. I would take more pics tonight, but I'm too tired, so I'll just summarize:

You might be able to see in those pictures that their faces and eyes are 100% (0.05 pen is always good for pupils). Roughly half of the helmets have bones which need painting, grey to white to bleached bone, but the chainmail and copper paints are done. Beards are 100% and tidy. Shields on the 1h/shield guys are finished, but the shields for the 2Hs (which will be slung on their backs) I haven't touched yet...they are for a final assembly line to wrap up the warrior unit.

Right now, I am stuck on basing. I don't know whether to do a "winter thaw" theme (snow, chunks of ice, bits of grass sticking out), a pure winter theme (just ice and snow, snow flock), or a brown earthy theme (as I did for the Grey Knights I painted).

I am leaning towards the latter as I feel it will fit well with the current palette (lots of brown shades for beards, brown and greens on the ground would be fitting), but I have a thing lately for snow bases. Now that I'm picturing the entire unit standing on white, I am already leaning strongly towards the earth. I'm not sure.

Yes, it is nearly 3am. Time to sleep. <3
Thade = Steve

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 am

Lookin’ good. Glad to see another Dwarf player. Hopefully having some beardlings around will inspire me to finally finish my army!

And the stubborn nature of the dwarves would be a good explanation as to why they refused to give up their own colors.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Kinne wrote:Lookin’ good. Glad to see another Dwarf player. Hopefully having some beardlings around will inspire me to finally finish my army!

Happy to be your inspiration, as you were in many ways mine.

And the stubborn nature of the dwarves would be a good explanation as to why they refused to give up their own colors.

That is a great idea; taken! I'm going to run with that theme; I've decided the colors of the Dwarf Lord will be red and yellow, and so members of his family are sewn throughout the warrior unit. The first Longbeard unit will be easy, as they're his family, so they'll all be in his colors; same with the Hammerers, with some uniform variation (other than the hammers).

Bases are done and the 20 warriors are based (pictures are on the camera at home, I am at the office); all that remains are shirt sleeves on the nine dwarves with great weapons, and helmet details (mostly curved bones, some with gemstones); the champion also has a cape that I'm not quite sure what to do with (beyond the colors of the Lord).
Thade = Steve

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 am

So, as I said, the bases were completed last night.

And this evening, I have just about finished this unit of Dwarf Warriors:

Next steps for them are to matte finish them, then gloss varnish the gems (and possible the standard for a "lacquered" look), and also do up the trays as if they were bases (so they all tie together visually).

I think I'm going to call it a night insofar as painting goes and finish them off tomorrow. Some of them will see the field for their first time in a few intro Mordheim matches, so I might bring the unit along with me as a whole.

Next up is the Longbeards, I think; they will be easier as all of their beards will be very nearly the same color and I think they may all be wearing the Lord's colors (which I think will be red and green as that's my favorite combo so far).
Thade = Steve

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 am

annnd more shots, to show off the gemstones.

I like this one...it looks very broody/dwarf-like to me.

Thade = Steve

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 am

Wow, that was fast and they look great!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 am

Haha, thanks, Dez. =) I burned a LOT of time on them. All told, likely 24+ hours.
Thade = Steve

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”