The Throng of Zanzuhf Kazad (Dwarfs)

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

The Throng of Zanzuhf Kazad (Dwarfs)

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm

So, this project has been almost six years in the works. At one point, nearly the entire army was finished. But I decided that the paint job was horrible and soaked the ENTIRE army in Simple Green and stripped it. Big mistake. Anyway, I've reached a point where the army is nearly finished. In fact, I've got less than half a unit, some war machines and characters and it's done. Since this was my first army, and I will never get rid of it, I thought it only fitting that the first fully painted army of mine should, well, be my dwarfs.

My primary goal is to have my 2,250 point list done for the upcoming spring fantasy tournament, which will probably be in April. But I'd like to go beyond that and finish several extra units to allow for either larger games or swapping out units. Here's what I'm hoping to have finished:

Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers
Runelord/Thorek Ironbrow with Anvil of Doom
Dwarf Thane BSB
Dwarf Thane w/Great Weapon
Runesmith
Master Engineer
Master Engineer
20 x Longbeards with Great Weapon, Shield and Full Command (DONE!)
10 x Thunderers (unassembled)
10 x Thunderers (unassembled)
10 x Warriors with Great Weapons (unassembled)
10 x Warriors with Great Weapons (unassembled)
22 x Hammerers with Shields and Full Command (13 painted, 5 assembled, 4 unassembled)
20 x Ironbreakers with Full Command (unpainted)
4 x Bolt Throwers (unpainted)
2 x Stone Throwers (unpainted)
2 x Dwarf Cannons (painted)
3 x Organ Guns (unpainted, one unassembled)
1 x Flame Cannon (unpainted)

Units Already Finished (but listed for posterity's sake)
20 x Warriors with Great Weapon, Shield and Full Command
10 x Quarrelers with Shields
10 x Quarrelers with Shields

I think that about covers it. So a lot of it is already finished, but there's a lot of touch up and detail work I have to do here and there. I'll start posting up the fluff soon.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

thade
Veteran

Re: The Throng of Zanzuhf Kazad (Dwarfs)

Postby thade » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Go Kinne! I want to see them =) Pics OR bring them in!
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

I want to face them. Name a time and a place.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Oh, they'll be there on Wednesday. I'm playing against Dez.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Since Kinne is no longer playing an "evil" army, this may be a good time to mention a 2v2 game, Chaos vs. Lizards/Dwarves.

I'd like to get some stuff painted first, but it sounds like it could be a good idea.

~J Rzasa

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Sounds like it would be fun.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Greywolf
Privateer Press Ganger

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:50 am

I may have to set aside time to watch this one. Sounds like a great battle. :twisted:
Raise your flagons Sons of Russ, the dawn of our victory is upon us.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:22 am

Well, this Wednesday I'll probably play Dez one-on-one, so we can take our time and really talk about Fantasy game mechanics. But we should definitely discuss this and set up a time.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:14 pm

So, finally some completed works/WIP pictures. Here's my unit of Longbeards, The Gnollengrom. I think my camera hates me, as the models look much better in person IMHO. Anyway, here they are. . .

gnollengrom comparison.JPG
gnollengrom comparison.JPG (93.58 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

Here are two longbeards side-by-side. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the first step in the process, which is a simple, one color basecoat on each part of the model. The unfinished model (on the left) has a single wash of Devlan Mud over said basecoat. The one on the right has a single layer of highlights using the same colors as the basecoat. Here's the finished unit.

gnollengrom finished full.JPG
gnollengrom finished full.JPG (73.36 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

So that's one part of my project done. Since I have vacation this week, I've decided that I'm going to finish my unit of hammerers. Here's where they're at right now.

hammerers close.jpg
hammerers close.jpg (79.75 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

I think I'm going to do a few more layers of highlights on these guys than I did on my longbeards. The old, metal longbeard models are great minis, but there's so much detail for a rank and file unit of twenty, and they don't have nearly as much flat space as the plastic warrior kit does. Hopefully I'll have some WIP shots of the hammerers as the week progresses.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's a better picture of the finished longbeards. . .

Also, here is a picture of that same front rank of hammerers, with all but a few minor details finished.

So Before

And After

I'm going to give all of the cloth a light wash of Thrakka Green to smooth out the highlights, darken the recesses a little more and also to tone the brightness down a little bit.

Here's another picture of the command's cloaks, pre-wash. . .

For the green, I started with Snot Green and a Devlan Mud wash (in fact, I had washed the entire model). My intention was to then go back with the original color, Snot Green, and highlight everything but the recesses, but then do the final highlight in Goblin Green. However, I must have been sleeping when I picked these guys up again, because I started the next layer of highlights with Goblin Green, making for a MUCH brighter green. Wanting to just ride it out to see the end result, I did a final highlight in Scorpion Green, and was fairly satisfied. They looked a little rough up close, but two to three feet away and everything blended together nicely.

I decided to switch it up on the next batch of models, however. They had received the Snot Green/Devlan treatment, and I highlighted in the same manner (Goblin/Scorpion), but afterward had an idea, so I tested a Thrakka Green wash over everything else. I'd been warned against using the washes after highlighting, because it can erase some of your work, but the highlights here were so clear, that the end result turned out pretty well (I'll have pictures tonight). The end result is a little darker, with nice, dark recesses and a smoothed out look from the Goblin/Scorpion contrast.

The rest of the models were really simple. All metals were either Boltgun-->Devlan-->Boltgun-->Chainmail or Dwarf Bronze-->Devlan-->Bronze-->Shining Gold. The face on the unit champ's shield is just Shining Gold-->Devlan-->Shining Gold. They may not be the best around here (after all, I'm not Collin), but I like 'em and they're a very decent tabletop standard.

I'm definitely going to do some more work on these baddies tonight, and probably whilst running the tourney tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the entire unit finished by the middle of next week, and move on to my artillery train. Actually, after the hammerers, the only things left between me and a fully-painted 2,250 list are a handful of warmachines and some characters. So stay tuned!

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”