TOFG -- Vamp Counts -- ON HOLD

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

TOFG -- Vamp Counts -- ON HOLD

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

I've wanted to play Vampire Counts for at least a good three years, before the new army book was released. I even proxied my old High Elf army as a Von Carstein army back in the day to test them out. Sadly, GW Holyoke closed before I got around to them, and thus ended my hefty employee discount. I finally decided to pick the army up and start putting it together this summer. For those of you who know me, my army is very story-driven, with a background that I've been piecing together over the last year or so. With a strong backstory comes a strong theme. In my first real adventure into basing, many of my models will feature watery or swampy bases, as I have plans to eventuallt build a display base for the army that will be a swamp. This will also be my first real adventure into, well, completely finishing an army. I have some ambitious conversions in mind, namely turning Chaos Knights into Blood Knights, a Steam Tank into a Black Coach, and Empire Wizard/General kits into Vampires and Necromancers. I don't know exactly how many points I'll have when I'm finished, but by the end of 2010 I want to be able to field two different lists, one summon and magic heavy, the other led by a close combat vampire on zombie dragon. Here're the two lists:

List One
Vampire Lord
Ghoul King (Counts as a Vampire, converted out of Ghoul parts)
Vampire Dreadknight Battle Standard Bearer
Necromancer on Corpse Cart
15 x Ghouls w/Swamp Bases (plus 10 more for summoning)
15 x Ghouls w/Cobbled Stone Bases (plus 10 more for summoning)
15 x Skeletons climbing out of water (plus 10 more for summoning)
5 x Dire Wolves (plus 5 more for summoning, converted from Chaos Hounds)
19 x Grave Guard w/Great Weapons (converted from Empire Greatswords)
3 x Fell Bats w/Water Bases (plus 3 more for summoning)
5 x Blood Knights (converted from Chaos Knights)

List Two
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (using the old Winged Nightmare model)
20 x Ghouls
20 x Ghouls
20 x Skeletons
5 x Dire Wolves
20 x Grave Guard
3 x Fell Bats
5 x Blood Knights
Black Coach (converted from a plastic Empire Steam Tank)

Will probably work up a few other side models as well, but I haven't exactly decided what those will be yet. Basically, by the end of 2010, I want to have two fully-functional armies as well as plenty of options, so I can swap out things like Rare and Character choices, while using the same base for the army. My plan is to have tactical flexibility so I can show up to one tournament with Blood Knights and tons of casters, and then the next with a Black Coach and a Vampire Lord of Doom. You can probably also expect to see Cairn Wraiths from time to time as well, as they are made of win. Oh, and if you're wondering about the army's name, "Die Bruderschaft der Scherbenwelt," it's German for "The Brotherhood of the Outland." It's all about the backstory. . .
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kinne

Re: TOFG -- Die Bruderschaft der Scherbenwelt (Vampire Counts)

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Alright, I thought I'd insert my boring ol' fluff post before I start getting into building and painting pictures. The army is centered around two brothers, whose names I haven't decided on yet. The pair of them served in Tilea as mercenaries, until they worked their way up to captaincy of their own company. The older brother was taller and physically stronger, usually inspiring men by leading from the front and plunging into the enemy ranks. The younger had the sharper tactical mind, and though he is a capable fighter, he preferred to lead from a position where he could watch the overall battle and direct the army as a whole. In Tilea at the time, the various city-states had no armies of their own, instead relying on hired mercenary companies to settle disputes with their neighboring states. It was tradition for the disputes to be settled in a bloodless manner, with the victor being determined by who could better outmaneuver the other, until one commander left the field and conceded defeat. After all, soldiers were expensive and took time to replace.

The younger brother's sharp mind earn them quite the reputation throughout Tilea, and the brother's vicious temperament a reputation without, where bloodless combats were unknown. It was during the high point in their careers that a wealthy noble, presumed to be from the Empire, came to Tilea, looking to hire the greatest mercenary company in the land to serve as his guard on a perilous trip. Countless companies were summoned to the estate he was staying in, each attempting to outdo the other with drills, maneuvers and feats of strength. It was the younger brother that first noticed how bored the noble seemed even with such impressive displays before him. Discussing the situation with his brother, on the next round of maneuvers, they led their company into the heart of their opponent, slaughtering them mercilessly. The other companies were appalled and horrified, clamoring for their blood. The noble, however, stood and applauded, relieved to see that at least one company amongst the lot had the ferocity he was looking for.

The brothers were hired to accompany the noble, and immediately set off on his quest -- to the mysterious and deadly lands of Khemri. At first, the going was easy, with their only duties defending against the occasional raiders from the outskirts of Araby. All of that changed when they went into the deep desert. Exactly what happened is a secret that the brothers and their few surviving retainers have kept amongst themselves, but after several years of wandering the endless deserts and battling the undead beings that inhabit them, they returned from the desert. A company of hundreds was reduced to the two brothers and five faithful knights. When they emerged, they had changed greatly, and were now joined to the ranks of the undead.

Unable to return to Tilea, the brothers, and their cadre of elite and fearsome nights, wandered through Estalia, Bretonnia and the Empire, until they settled in the Grey Mountains, just south of the Imperial province of Solland and between the Dwarf holds of Karak Norn and Karak Hirn. The next several decades were spent rebuilding their forces, which turned out to be quite simple given their new abilities. Their realm was quickly established, consisting of a small fortress town with lavish accommodations, and a large, fertile valley inhabited by hundreds of serfs. The undead legions of the desert were replaced as their enemies by the goblins of the mountains, with the occasional skirmish with the Border Princes and the Empire.

Eventually, the younger brother decided to expand his knowledge of the necromantic arts, leaving his brother in charge of their holdings and setting off with an elite guard. His first stop -- Sylvania. It turns out that their former employer was none other than Mannfred von Carstein. He spent several years studying under Mannfred, travelling with him, learning the secrets of the dark arts. When he returned to the Grey Mountains, he was far more powerful than when he left.

As the brothers expanded their little fiefdom, they began coming into conflict with Solland, who refused to pay tolls and taxes for using a nearby pass that the brothers claimed by right of conquest. To add to the issue, a witch hunter discovered the brothers' true nature, and immediately assembled a military force of spearmen and knights, combined with a unit of proud greatswords and a mighty steam tank, and set off for the keep. While the brothers' military forces were enough to defend their realm against goblins and sweep down the mountain for the occasional raid, they knew battling with a full army of Solland would be a close-run contest, and their victory would not be guaranteed.

To slow the enemy's advance, they sent forward regiments of skeletons, cheap, expendable troops that could simply be re-raised later. In the meantime, they moved their most faithful and loyal subjects to the keep, then, along with their cadre of nights, proceeded to slaughter every last serf, collecting their blood in a giant basin and burying their bodies in a shallow grave. The trap was set.

When the army of Solland forced its way through the distracting force, they marched into the farms and fields. On the far side, the brothers were lined up to face them on a steep hill, with ranks of skeletal spearmen and their cadre of knights on hellish steeds. The army of Solland was a glorious sight: bright banners fluttering in the wind, gleaming steel, and rousing refrains of fife and drum. About halfway across the field, disaster struck. A river further up the mountain had been dammed weeks earlier, when the brothers first caught wind that they were about to be attacked. As the assaulting army crossed the fields, a group of faithful retainers broke the damn, and the waters swept down in a roaring flood.

It sounded as though the mountains themselves were coming down on all sides. A massive wave caught the Solland army head on, crushing hundreds with its fury in seconds. Here and there small pockets of troops survived thanks to hills and rocky outcroppings, but they were mired in water past their knees and unable to maneuver efficiently. To make matters worse, the brothers unleashed their vile magics, and countless fresh corpses began bursting from the water, dragging down horrified soldiers beneath the murk. Even the steam tank was bogged down, the crew inside cooked alive when water struck the boiler and filled the inside of the tank with scalding steam. A proud unit of knights attempted to charge across the flooded fields, but the horses slipped and fell, the nights dragged down by the weight of their own armor. The last to fall were the greatswords, making their last stand on a low hill, forming a circle and battling off the undead to defend the witch hunter. The brothers themselves dealt the final blows.

To honor the courage of the knights and greatswords, the younger brother raised them as wights to serve him honorably for the centuries to come. They immediately prepared for war, assuming Solland would send a second, larger force to destroy them, but it never came to that. Two months later, Solland was destroyed by the horde of Gorbad Ironclaw. The brothers have lived in relative safety ever since.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Do you have models to proxy for your army? Id love to fight against some undead.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 am

I suppose I could proxy dwarves for much of it. They're on the same size base.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:54 pm

A Grim Dark man in Grim Dark armor drops a Grim Dark gauntlet at the feet of a Grim Dark Goth Wannabee.

Wednesday. We fight. Name the points.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Considering I have currently two units of skeletons and a unit of grave guard built. . .not much.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 pm

The party had never been hardier. Bottles and kegs littered the ground, defiling the graveyard of the Zombie army that couldn't.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Greywolf
Privateer Press Ganger

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Love the story Kinne and can't wait to see some models. Did you decide how you were going to do the swamp bases yet? :twisted:
Raise your flagons Sons of Russ, the dawn of our victory is upon us.

Kinne

Re: TOFG -- Vamp Counts -- ON HOLD

Postby Kinne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Alright, as the new title thread suggests, I'm putting the vampire counts on hold. After dusting off my dwarfs and giving them a go against J Rasza last Saturday, I realized that I love me some dwarfs, and I've had the army for six years yet never finished it. So the undead are taking a backseat to the stunties, and are put on hold until I finish my dwarf army.

EDIT -- And thanks, Jeff. I have figured out how to do 'em, actually using a technique from that Freebootahz e-zine they put out. Hopefully I'll finish the dwarfs in time to get to the vamp counts by the end of the year.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: TOFG -- Vamp Counts -- ON HOLD

Postby Dez » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm

You'd better change the title of this thread, and work on your Dwarfs instead then ;)

ADB

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”