A Tale of Four Gamers- Kevin Wall (Tzeentch Daemons)

Kalaris
Veteran

Re: A Tale of Four Gamers- Kevin Wall (Tzeentch Daemons)

Postby Kalaris » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Inquisitor Wall wrote:I really like the burning dryad route you went with for the flamers. I am still at a loss on how to make them. I was toying with the idea of using chaos warriors with flaming hands and skulls, but not overly excited. I might try empire wizards, but want something beefier to represent the S5. Reaper makes some amazing flaming soldiers, but I would like to keep the army usable in a GW event. My biggest issue is I cant sculpt green stuff well, and GW is very limited on flaming bits.

I hope to get some more pictures up soon. Heralds should be done by Sunday.

If you'd ever like a tutorial on some greenstuffing, flames are SUPER easy, I think I did all 3 of my flamers in under 2 hours, and it was cake, Flames are the easiest thing to do with greenstuff.

Just offering!

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:27 pm

I might take you up on that.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:08 pm

I would add the recommendation of using Wood Elf wizards as well. Some of the "Casting" poses are really nice, and could lend very well to a Herald conversion.

~J Rzasa

Greywolf
Privateer Press Ganger

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Stuff is coming along great Kev! Can't wait to see them all on the table. :twisted:
Raise your flagons Sons of Russ, the dawn of our victory is upon us.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 pm

So, the first month is over, and I was almost able to meet my goal for the first month. There were some minor set backs primarily due to my cat. But that has now been repaired, and I can now get back to making progress on the army. With there not being a single model painting thread for this week, I was going to post my goal of completing my first horror, however I was able to complete 7 of them over the weekend, and I am now only 3 models behind my overall goal!
So the first 7 horrors were all pink horrors, and the next group should be blue ones. I am pretty happy with how them came out. I really like the one with the eyeball head, but I am not overly impressed with the eye. The flames on all of them are a little too rigid for my liking, but they are done from the hair on the ghouls. I think when I model up some more, I will add small amounts of green stuff to breakup the straightness of the flames.

Sadly one month in and I still only have one game in with them, but I can now transport the Lord of Change, and have a vacation this month, so I am hopefully going to get in a couple more.

Here are some pics of the models I have done after the first month.
Wyrd Henchman

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Lookin' great, Kev! I'll begrudgingly have to get in a game against you soon. I hate daemons!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 pm

holy crap those look awesome!!!

You had mentioned you didn't like the big eyeball, so I went lookin for it...and the first thoughts that came to me were:
- Looks cool! Oh, a little white gunk around the eyes, missed with the brush. Annoying clean up.
- ...OR you could wash that white gunk with purple or yellow or something and make it look like gross giant demon eye puss.

The pink horrors look fantastic; I really dig how you do the skin on all of your models. The flaming sword and stand of the first model -whatever it is - looks really good too.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Cleaning up the eye would be a good idea. Itll have to wait until i mix up some more pink for the next group. Not worth wasting a mixing of paint for a tiny spot. Washing the eye might be a good idea.
Wyrd Henchman

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

haha I keep coming back to this thread to marvel at the models. Are those all conversions?

White paint is SUCH a pain to work with. If it's tiny, then a tiny dot will do it...and no one will notice it's too thick. Any bigger than tiny and it takes me like a dozen washes with several grey base coats to get white to look smooth and pure...and I often run out of patience before then. =\ Yellow is just as bad, for sure.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:19 pm

They are all conversions. They are a mixture of Chaos Spawn and Crypt Ghouls. They have been really fun to make. I am hopeful that I dont get sick of making them by the time I get to 70, but so far so good. 20 made and 7 painted is a pretty good start for me.
Wyrd Henchman

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”