The Crooked Moons of Karak Eight Peaks

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

The Crooked Moons of Karak Eight Peaks

Postby J Rzasa » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Well, this forum has been really dead lately. With the new release of Fantasy, I think a lot of us are really getting back into looking at our Fantasy Armies. I've been "working" on a Night Goblin army for years, but I never really got it kick started. Between the Auction, the stuff I had, and the stuff I bought from Charlie, I now have enough to actually play games.

This is the current 2400 list that I'm working on, or at least the one I played against Mike Archer this past Friday. I've learned some stuff about it, and I'll share at the end.

Skarsnick, Warlord of the Eight Peaks: 205 Pts

Big Boss BSB: 80 pts

Skarsnick's Body Guard (Night Goblin Mob): 53 Goblins, 3 Fanatics, Nets, Spears - 334 pts

NG Warboss, Light Armor and Great Axe - 64 pts

Warboss Body Guard (NG Mob) 39 Goblins, 3 Fanatics, Nets, Spears - 278 pts

NG Warboss, Light Armor and Ulags Akk'rit Axe - 83 pts

Warboss Body Guard (NG Mob) 39 Goblins, 3 Fanatics, Nets, Spears - 278 pts

Night Goblin Great Shaman - Level 4 - Staff of Baduumm - 225

Night Goblin Archer Mob - 20 Dudes, Short Bows, 2 Fanatics - 122

Night Goblin Archer Mob - 20 Dudes, Short Bows, 2 Fanatics - 122

Giant - 205

Giant - 205

2 Goblin Spear Chukkas - 70 pts

Squig Heard - 12 Squigs, 8 Prodders - 120 pts

2391 total

I'll break down this list on what it is supposed to do, and then on how it actually does.

The list centers around Skarnsick kicking some butt, large units of Night Goblins not breaking, and Fanatics killing lots of stuff. The Giants are supposed to take down flanking units and anything small enough to be a pain, and to have some fear causing units. The Squigs are a flanking unit, but they have some real teeth, and can wreak some real havok with 15 S5 attacks. It also looks really cool. The Warbosses are there to make the units LD 7, as they are currently LD 5.

The reality... Giants suck. They are T5, with 6 wounds, and no save. They are init 3. I lost one to Plague Monks, one to Cold One Knights, and one to Jezzails. Dwarves will gun them down, as will Empire, Elves, and anything that can throw at least rocks. Anything with high Init will probably maul them.

Skarnsick I've only used once, and he would have killed the enemy general in a challenge had I not had the misfortune of using the Special Terrain pieces. One of them gave the enemy Warlord Heroic Killing Blow, and Mike rolled a 6 to wound. 6 Wound model, gone. However, his Squig Strike special rule took out 4 of Mike's units, and made them start off the board, including his Doom Wheel.

My dice hate me, so the NG's are pretty bad in combat. The nets help, a lot. The Squigs were pretty amazing, they made back their points in my game with Mike. I really think I need at least one more unit of those, and maybe one less unit of NG's. I may also go to units of 30 dudes (5x6) for the NG's, and see if I can get more fanatics in. The Archers are pretty good, since you pretty much know when you're in 18 inches of the enemy, and all 20 can fire in a 10x2 block.

I also want to try Trolls. Thinking about picking up 2 of the new boxes. Also considering adding a 20 man unit of Black Orks. Not just because they look cool, but because LD 9 on the general is pretty nice. I gotta play around a bit more with the list. Dropping 200 pts into Skarsnick might be bad form. We'll see.

And now, you're moment of Zen:

PS: I'd like to vent a moment. For all you offenders of this out there, notice these images are resized to fit in the browser window without stretching it. Please resize your pictures so they are no more than 800x600. It drives me nuts scrolling to the left for the rest of the page to read peoples stuff. It also saves on space.

~J

MadMike
Whiteshield

Re: The Crooked Moons of Karak Eight Peaks

Postby MadMike » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:22 am

Love the Giant's hats! NG armies might be getting a boost with the new edition. Hordes, steadfast and lots of cheap magicians makes them a whole new army I think.

I should also mention, your welcome to bring them over on the 10th and see how they fare. (See the 8th Ed Celebration thread for more details) I even have several night goblin units you could borrow to bolster the force to try them out. (squig hoppers, squig herd, doom diver, rock lobber, etc)
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 am

I might swing by Mike. I still haven't decided. Unfortunately I have plans from 10 AM to 12 AM, and while you guys will still be playing, I might be half dead by the end of the day.

I don't know what your Wednesdays look like, but we could try and get a game in on one of them. I have a game with Mike Archer this week, I will most likely be getting to the store around 7 unfortunately. Work moved my hours around.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 am

Looks great J. I am very excited to finally see those giants get finished.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:11 am

I'm excited about the giants too, it's terrible that they are so lame gamewise.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am

J Rzasa wrote:I might swing by Mike. I still haven't decided. Unfortunately I have plans from 10 AM to 12 AM, and while you guys will still be playing, I might be half dead by the end of the day.

I don't know what your Wednesdays look like, but we could try and get a game in on one of them. I have a game with Mike Archer this week, I will most likely be getting to the store around 7 unfortunately. Work moved my hours around.

~J

I totally understand. Of course, you don't need to play until the wee hours of the morning but I'll brew a pot of coffee if keeps you going longer. *grin* I'll add you to the 'dropping by' list and still send you directions. :)
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:00 pm

This is Thwack. He's one of a pair of Giants that joined up with the Crooked Moon. Both Giants have donned the attired of the Night Goblin tribe, and Thwacks brother, Smush, has even picked up their weaponry, a really large Fanatic Ball.

I have not painted Smush yet, and don't plan to for some time. I don't think I'll field 2 Giants for awhile. Want to try out some Trolls and a few other tricks. Also thinking about picking up a Doom Diver or two. I have this great idea of replacing the Goblin that is being used as a Stone with a Squig, converted to have wings. Still tossing about the idea.

Here is Thwack, in all his glory.

~J

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

I dig it. Great paint job, hat and backstory!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 pm

It was great to play against them the other day. Hopefully we can get some more games in soon.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”