"Death From the Skies!" Planetstrike Megabattle (01/31)

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: "Death From the Skies!" Planetstrike Megabattle (01/31)

Postby Dez » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:53 pm

Now I'm even more depressed I couldn't go. Haha, figures I had everything all set, even a sitter this time :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

enzo
Whiteshield

Postby enzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:54 pm

page 3

enzo
Whiteshield

Postby enzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm

page 4

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:00 pm

"Balance" is very tricky with Warhammer. I think it was coincidence where everything was placed and the tables were more or less designed on the fly this morning (I think?).

Table 1 had all of the objectives within 2' of a table edge and my understanding is that it was all Tyranids and Orks on that table. If you can't move then you are completely tied up in assaults and surrounded by Turn 2 (as the WAAAGH will close in anyone too slow to get there). Table 1 was definitely the hardest to defend, even not considering the opposition.

Table 2 was the most defensible as it had a LOT of high ground and easy areas to focus fire in; this looked like a fun table and it had a good balance of melee-centric and shooty armies (at least on the defender's side; offense looked fine too). This looked like a very close game up until the end.

Table 3 (where I played) was a standard sized table and, while the objectives were all 2' from the table edges, they were elevated 6" or more off the table surface which made them much easier to defend than the bastion line on Table 1. We kicked the crap out of each other and lost 2 to 1. This game was admittedly slanted, as Chaos Demons are broken in Planetstrike. It was a fun game, nevertheless, and I feel the defenders put up a good fight here.

All in all, I think this was a great event; I had a good time, and it looked to me that many others did too. I thought it was awesome that the Tyranid and Ork players all turned on one another after forcing the Imperium to withdraw; that brought a tear to my eye. <3

Thanks, Club Officers - esp. Kinne - for making this happen.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

enzo
Whiteshield

Postby enzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:02 pm

last page

GRANDMASTER TEX
Whiteshield

Postby GRANDMASTER TEX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm

wish i could have stayed to play. what time did you guys finish up?
had fun with the little ones at home though.-priceless

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Postby Grandmaster marc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:06 pm

J Rzasa wrote:Two of the tables was a Cult Massacre, the large one, and the one in the basement with the Skyshields.

The other table I was on was an Alliance win. We made some deployment mistakes and they were able to eat us Piecemeal. We still did well, but couldn't take 3 of the 5 objectives.

~J Rzasa

EDIT: When I said Cult Massacre, I meant the Cult Massacred the Alliance. The battles were hard fought, but the dice must not have fallen well.

ok, i do agree with you but for down stairs it wasn't a massacure me and thade fought to the end we may have lost but the enemies took many casualties, necrons where 2 away from being phased out and carl had his 2 super demons and a bunch of lessers so ya at carls point of view ya he massicured us.
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Steff
Recruit

Postby Steff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm

GRANDMASTER TEX wrote:wish i could have stayed to play. what time did you guys finish up?
had fun with the little ones at home though.-priceless

The little ones usually are and I don't know what time we finished :twisted:

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Postby Grandmaster marc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:16 pm

i think we ended at about 6:00pm
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 pm

A Massacre is a degree of victory, ie if they tabled you or got all the objectives by the end of the game, that's a Massacre. You would have to check the Planetstrike Codex to see the degrees of victory.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Return to “The 131 Winter Campaign”