Anyone up for some Virtual Tabletop RPGing?

Feel free to discuss all the various RPGs here, even recruit people for a game.
TRDG
Recruit

Anyone up for some Virtual Tabletop RPGing?

Postby TRDG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:34 am

It;s bee a while since I popped in here to see whats going on!!

Just found a free VTT (Virtual tabletop) and I'm trying to gather some players for some gaming. It was 3D but they changed things a bit so now the characters and monsters are virtual character tokens, but the rest is pretty interesting I have to say.

2013-07-27_213235.png
Something I just threw together when testing out the program when I first found it!!

I'm off Sundays and Mondays but I'm on Vacation right now to run some good (hopefully) games there.

2013-07-29_185650.png
Masters of the Fallen Fortress, VTT style, FINAL Battle in progress!! Ha Ha

Here is a game there I've been running a bit with 2 players from our site. Pathfinders free Module Masters of the Fortress.

So basically you go to the VTT site, register and we all try to meet up online to play a session of whatever RPG module playing at the moment.

The name of it is Epical Online

Forum link (pretty dead though at the moment except litle old me)

http://www.epicalonline.com/forums/index.php

The Virtual tabletop link is

http://www.epicalonline.com/play.html

Cheers, so post or PM me here if interested, I will probably be running Pathfinder games so far.

Tom

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Re: Anyone up for some Virtual Tabletop RPGing?

Postby Commander_Jay » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Interesting program.

How do you like it? Can you give us a quick review?
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

TRDG
Recruit

Postby TRDG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Sure Jay, as much as I can.

Found this about 2 weeks ago and I was interested in the 3D aspect as many VTT sites and programs are pretty "flat, 2 dimentional.

Well I signed up to the forum, then checked out the program, they changed the 3D aspect of the characters so it is your basic character tokens, looks just like Pathfinder ones and their stands.

A bit bummed with that, but I dived in and was going to build my first Dungeon....

Well hit a snag right away as the instructions are, shall we say, MIA...

All I could even figure out is just to become a player, NOT a GM to make stuff. Posts and PM's on their site and to the Admin there drew no replies.

Even though a few games were being played on the Epical VTT, RPG's it seemed like but no one ever posted how to. In fact many in forum and chat room posts were littering the place on"how do you play this?????" LOL

So I was'nt the only one at least, 2 days later after playing around with it after work and I figured it out, but then.......

How the frigg do you save your dungeon making progress....... The few instructions there were, shall I say, not the best.

And you guessed it, 2 more days and I figured it out on my own. pical did in fact reply to me more than a litle late, but on their facebook page to a post I put up there 2 weeks ago!!

OK

Now that I'm done with that part....

As you can see in the pics, you have a black square grid box, 33 and 1/2 by 33 and 1/2 squares wide and long.

-There on the GM sreen you have options, Build (tile sets, small medium, custom and big) you place on the grid.

-Wall button where you can place walls on the grid (about 6 kinds of walls and a custom one as well)

-Door button to pop in some doors, about 8 types plus the custom job

-Object Icon where they have a smal selection of objects you can place on the grid, slull, box, treasure chest, BUT no custom Icon

-Building button where you can select 1 of about 7 types of buildings on the grid.

It takes getting used to, as the angle switching done by a compass Icon is a tad twitchy, but I've gotton a handle on it so far I think.

Now for me that "custom" button part can be key as you can import ANY map on the net already into the grip, in one big or small piece.

So lots of potential gaming goodness there, but I'd like to see more basic Dungeon and outdoor tile sets, and get custom Objects in there as well

There is also a character building option, where again any char or monster pic on the net can be transferred there as a game token. BUT their base character sheet does'nt have to many options.

Hav'nt really GMed a full game yet but that should change on Tuesday I think.

2013-08-05_122918.png
German Forces

2013-08-05_123257.png
US side

Today I did a Tank Battle set up for a near future net game of that at our site using this as a go between, or so I hope.

I culd even see a friendly annual challange VTT game of this between our two sites when I fully develope this. Still trying to figure out the AT gun spinner aspect, some kind of dice roll odds I'm thinkin here, any ideas guys?

So it does have some Military game applications to it as well, a nice bonus I have to say. Hell I could see a varied VTT game of a simplified Flames of War being played live and all the players are still at home!!

2013-08-05_194418.png
The above from this old but still good classic boardgame, as those who are old enough, remember well I bet.
2013-08-05_194418.png (357.78 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

Cheers, so it needs work but not to bad for being free!! Sorry for being so long winded, but there is a lot to say!!

Tom

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks. Interesting concept for that program. Pity it isnt more polished.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

TRDG
Recruit

Postby TRDG » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Ya, it seems they just did'nt give it enough time, end of 2012 it went live. Then in March of 2013 the main guy on the site said he was going onto a new project for his company, but he will be back to further tweek what is there now........

LOL God knows if it will ever be more than it is.

I was banking on Piazio's Game Space VTT, free to use when a site member there.

BUt the target date for that was LAST summer, at least to have something out..

Right now they are still at Beta testing for those lucky enough who went to Piazio game conventions last year and this year..

So they are still trying to get their basics down, not as easy as they thought, LOL

Cheers, offer stil stands though for an RPG VTT game or even a Tank Battle one.

Tom

Return to “RPGs”