Only War!

Feel free to discuss all the various RPGs here, even recruit people for a game.
Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Only War!

Postby Kinne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

FFG released a new 40k roleplaying set - Only War. Yep. . .you finally get to be an Imperial Guardsman. I picked up a copy of the BRB and flipped through it - it looks pretty solid. Most characters get a Comrade, which is another member of the squad that is attached to the PC and grants bonuses depending upon which skill upgrades you take. It also gives the GM a great way to drive home the devastating losses the Guard suffers without having to constantly kill the PCs.

Bonus - the rules for driving/operating tanks, including three Leman Russ variants AND a Baneblade, right in the BRB. If you enjoy the FFG 40k games, I'd recommend checking this bad boy out.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Re: Only War!

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Sounds awesome.

What system does it use?

Any other races? Or could they be made easily with house rules?
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 pm

It uses the same percentile system as all of the other FFG 40k rules. And you don't have to worry much about making rules up. FFG has already put out:

Dark Heresy (Inquisitorial Acolytes)
Rogue Trader (Self-explanatory)
Deathwatch (Deathwatch Space Marines)
Black Crusade (Chaos Worshipers/Chaos Space Marines)

So between all of those you already have tons of rules for many different races. I believe there are even rules for Warhound titans. This will be the first one that'll have rules for a lot of the various IG tanks, at least as far as I know. And I would assume one of the first expansions is going to have the rest of the Leman Russ variants, and maybe even a bunch of the other FW tanks.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Getting further into this, one of the game's coolest features is that your regiment has a very specific impact on character creation. There are some pre-created regiments in the book, such as a Cadian Mech Infantry, Elysian Drop Troops and a Mordian Ironguard Armoured, but you can also create your own regiment. And it has a LOT of the doctrines from the 4th ed. Imperial Guard rulebook as special rules. It's pretty awesome.

Did I mention you can play as a Commissar? And one of the skills you can gain is Summary Execution.

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 am

Kinne wrote:And one of the skills you can gain is Summary Execution.

That'd be great for small role playing parties.

John: "Well, things arent going well, so I'll Execute Jim's character"

Jim: "What?!"
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 am

Heh, it doesn't quite work like that. Basically, let's say my character suffers enough damage to kill him. You, as the commissar, see the squad's morale flagging, so you summary execute my Comrade (an NPC), and inspired by your example I immediately regain 1d5 Wounds to stay alive.

Now I'm not saying a commissar PC WOULDN'T have cause to execute another PC, but that's not the purpose of the skill. If you caught another PC stealing or retreating without orders, well. . .a commissar's gotta do what a commissar's gotta do.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Savlar Chemdogs in there? Just curious, that's my favorite regiment.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 am

Not in the BRB, but you could easily create them using the Regiment Creation system. Basically you get points with which you purchase World of Origin (Hive, Imperial, Fortress, Penal, etc.), Type of Regiment (Drop Troops, Mech Infantry, Armoured, etc.), Commander, Training Doctrines and Special Equipment Doctrines. And as I mentioned, a lot of the doctrines are the ones from the old IG codex, so you could create a regiment with the doctrines Combat Drugs and Scavengers, and that would, essentially, be Savlar Chem Dogs. I would imagine they might include other renowned regiments in future supplements. The ones in here are:

Cadians
Mordian Iron Guard
Catachans
Elysian Drop Troops
Death Korps of Krieg
Vostroyan Firstborn
Tallarn Desert Raiders
Maccabian Janissaries (from previous FFG supplements)

There's another system that allows you to customize the regiment's standard kit. There are also three or four different types of lasguns with various special rules, including the ability to crank up the power and fire more powerful shots.

Return to “RPGs”