M3E FAQ

Discussions and events for the Wyrd Miniatures skirmish game Malifaux
WildBorr
Veteran

M3E FAQ

Postby WildBorr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:41 pm

I got the change to talk to one of the game designers while at GenCon, and have some information to report back.

1 - Mechanics are largely unchanged. The game still functions in the same basic way with the fate decks. Strategies are determined the same way as before, there are also auto paired schemes, although it appears they are unsure how the other schemes will be chosen (the cards did not have a number/suit associated with them). The standard game will still be on a 3'x3', and be played at 50 stones.

2 - Engagement ranges are shrinking. They wanted to focus more on creating a more open board, so across the board engagement ranges are being brought down, including some models being reduced to a 0" engagement.

3 - Speaking of engagement, disengaging strikes are getting a complete overhaul. When a model attempts to move, only one of the engaging models may attempt the attack. If it hits, they make a movement "damage" flip of 2/4/6, reducing the defending model's movement speed by those amounts for the action. Every additional model engaging the defender adds an extra + to the "damage" flip.

4 - Hiring is as described - based completely off of keywords, regardless of faction. Versatile models, like the Emissaries, can be taken with anyone. In-faction non-keyword models can be hired at a 1 stone penalty. This includes if you want to hire additional masters. Keyword hiring is only based on your leader master, and cannot be expanded regardless of other masters hired.

5 - Masters and their totems are hired as a team, and all are balanced against each other. The idea is that any master + their totem = any other master + their totem. They cost no points as the first hired models.

6 - The new edition will 100% be in 2019. There will be no book released this year. I can only speculate as to timing as they refused to speak in certain terms, but I would expect 3E to drop around Easter time (8-12 weeks beta), and a book for it at GenCon next year. The expressed they wanted to have a book ready for its' release, but it appears they've accepted that it will not be a guarantee.

7 - As for new crew boxes, many crews are going to be re-released, and eventually all of them. Old models are still valid, and all of the rules and cards will be online, for free, day 1. They will also be selling packs of updated decks as well.

8 - The new cards are substantially bigger than the old ones, but it appears to be mostly for cosmetic reasons for larger and more impressive art. There are sleeves already produced for the new size of card (I believe by Fantasy Flight, they appear to be the same size as the Capital ship cards for Armada), and they are in works manufacturers to see about releasing more Malifaux inspired sleeves to match.

9 - They wanted to expand on interactions with Scrap/Corpse markers. More crews are going to have more ways to interact with them, not just a few models. For example, December Acolytes gained a Bonus Action (the new name for a 0 action) to eat a corpse marker to get a healing flip.

Ynysley
Whiteshield

Re: M3E FAQ

Postby Ynysley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 pm

This combined with the new Raspy/Marcus crews has me super hyped. The only thing I've wanted that hasn't been addressed yet is vantage point rules.

Did you happen to learn what "Shockwave" is as a rule? It's on Raspy's card, seems to be a mobile blast or something?

WildBorr
Veteran

Postby WildBorr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 pm

They didn't address vantage point, but with the way things look I imagine it's going to be removed entirely. As for Shockwave, that wasn't something that was brought up. Maybe it's replacing pulses?

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Sounds good. Alleviates much of my concerns except for the chage in stat card size. That is going to be frustrating from a storage point. Card binders will no longer be effective.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Yeah I'm not too hyped for an increase in card size. I like how utilitarian the card design currently is--it gets the point across, is no-frills, and fits everything neatly on both sides.

Making the cards bigger because they want some impressive art on it seems...I dunno, counter-productive. There's enough stuff on the board as it is that clutters things up, we don't need space to be at more of a premium because the cards are 25% bigger or whatever.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Return to “Malifaux”