What do people want to know?

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

What do people want to know?

Postby Kinne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:11 pm

So as I'm sitting here thinking of what I could do for an Imperial Academy session two, I realized that the best people to determine that are the ones learning the game. So I've heard people in the league comment about certain aspects of the game (figuring out exactly how the turn goes, choosing effective upgrades, fleet building, etc.). While I might not always be the greatest on the tabletop ('cause, y'know, I like to do things like fly off the board), I have been studying the game extensively for a while. So if I can pass on my knowledge to help our burgeoning community, I'd like to do so.

So what, my fellow league players, would you like to learn? Some topics I've considered are:

- The nuances of turn structure and order of operations
- Choosing effective upgrades/popular upgrades
- Fleet building in general
- Squadrons
- Objectives
- Anything else you all can think of
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: What do people want to know?

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Maneuvering. I have been quickly realizing that this is the area of the game that is the most crucial. With a limit of 6 turns, and shooting coming before moving one mistake in a turn of movement or even starting the game at the wrong speed can win or lose a game for you. It is also the part of the game that I have been enjoying the least, so my thought is that must be because I am doing it ineffectively.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:18 pm

You definitely hit it on the head there, Kev. Deployment and movement are the most crucial aspects of the game. It doesn't matter how many dice your best arc throws if it never has any targets!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 pm

There is also a big difference between being player 1 and 2. Focusing on how it changes your game play could be an interesting topic as well.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Mission selection alone could be a speaking point with 4-5 differing opinions weighing in. I find that mission selection makes a bigger difference than list creation or starting speeds.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:34 pm

So it looks like Initiative Bid and First/Second Player, Objectives, and Maneuvering. All great topics to cover. I'll probably go over Objectives first.

Return to “Armada”