Armada - Time to Take Command

For discussing X-Wing, Armada and Legion.
Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Armada - Time to Take Command

Post by Kinne » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey all! With a new job and finally having free time, I'm getting back into the gaming scene. That being said, I've been totally sucked into Armada.

For those of you who haven't tried it out yet, you definitely should. It has an incredible strategic depth, and is very balanced between the two factions. Even though we just emerged from Store Championship season, there is still no dominant 'net list that has been mopping up. And with only two waves released, there are already a ton of options in which ships to take and how to kit them out effectively. I've gone to two Store Championships (although one was only four people) and did not see the same list twice.

FFG has managed to, once again, create a rules set that is easy to learn and easy to understand. After a single intro game against another person who has never played, I already had a pretty firm grasp of the mechanics. Actually mastering the game, though, is a bigger challenge. Not only do ships have countless upgrades to take, but your fleet also has a Commander that makes them operate in a drastically different fashion. Admiral Ozzel lets your ships zip around the battlefield at a moment's notice, while Admiral Motti makes your Star Destroyers even harder to kill. A Corellian Corvette led by Carlist Rieekan becomes a zombie that sticks around while it dies, but commanded by Mon Mothma it increases its survivability.

I'll be up at the shop offering intro games on most Wednesday nights for the foreseeable future. There's a starter league in the works for next month, too. So if you've ever had even a passing interest, let me know and I'd be more than happy to run you through a quick demo!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: Armada - Time to Take Command

Post by Inquisitor Wall » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:31 pm

I am really intrigued by the game. Hoping to get in a demo at some point this week.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Post by Kinne » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Why not this Wednesday?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Post by Inquisitor Wall » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:20 pm

I won't be around this Wednesday, but should be getting a demo in on Thursday. Looking forward to giving it a try.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “Star Wars”