X-wing top selling game

For discussing X-Wing, Armada and Legion.
Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

X-wing top selling game

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 pm

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/03/ ... s-are.html

For the first time I have ever seen, warhammer has been replaced as the top miniature game based on sales in Q4 of last year. I am not really surprised by this as Q4 of last year included the new movie, a starter based on the movie and the game being for sale in places like target. Curious to see if warhammer comes back in Q1 this year.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Re: X-wing top selling game

Postby Kinne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:53 pm

I was reading about this. The trouble is that, I believe, the information is based off of distributor sales, and GW has been pushing direct sales (with opening the one-man stores and forcing all online sales to be through their website). So the numbers might be skewed.

But hells yes, Armada!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 pm

I would be really surprised if it was based off of distributor sales as GW has always been a huge distributor of their product. I could see their crack down on others selling their product online as causing a large part of the decline.
Wyrd Henchman

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 pm

The numbers come from here:

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/3 ... -fall-2015

It's from interviewing "distributors, manufacturers and retailers." I don't know if GW would give exact numbers out. And third party distributors like Alliance and E-Figures represent just a small portion of their sales and distribution, so I don't know that these numbers would be accurate.

I would say it's definitely an accurate representation of non-GW games, but I wouldn't take it as gospel.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:21 pm

And they don't discuss any of their results or methodology. Or say whether this is based on what area. And measuring interest, sales by number of items, or dollars, or what.

Even as an anecdote, those are some very different standings than a few years ago.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Regardless of the methods they use, they have been using the same methods for years and this is the first time to my knowledge that warhammer 40k is not at the top.
Wyrd Henchman

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Not all that surprised. Was introduced to X Wing last week. Models are nice looking, game is straightforward with lots of variation, nothing to really build or paint, and you can get a game or two in just a couple hours. What's not to like?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Know what the one qualm I have with X-Wing is? I feel it has no character. I do like it's fast to play and teach, while having lots of tactical depth...but it's just not the same yelling 'WAAAGH!!!' with your Tie swarm or having MONGO pushing a giant bomb around.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Return to “Star Wars”