Hound's Tooth

For discussing X-Wing, Armada and Legion.
Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Hound's Tooth

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:45 pm

I've been searching around other forums, but haven't really found much about Hound's Tooth for X-wing. Anyone know if it is a good ship, and would be comparable to IG-88 or slave 1?
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Re: Hound's Tooth

Postby Commander_Jay » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 pm

I like Hound's Tooth. It's bigger, slower, and tougher than a Firespray or a IG-2000. Plus it has some good pilots, upgrades, and crew in the kit too. It doesnt have a K-turn, but can stop as a red maneuver, and it does get a 180 degree firing arc for primary weapons, so its easy enough to keep it on target and smashing away. And it's 1 pt Fin upgrade helps it too. And it can take a lot of upgrades, even three crew members.
I think Bossk is especially good, as a pilot or a crew member. Give the pilot Marksmanship or a Mangler Cannon.
And it's ability to deploy the Pup is interesting and new. I haven't seen people do it too much, but it's also cool to keep in mind for fun scenarios and missions.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

hordeling
Whiteshield

Postby hordeling » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm

The hound's tooth had the unfortunate luck to come out at the same time as the twin laser turret, so it got a bit overshadowed, but it plays a role, it has all but replaced firesprays (which was barely played) in hodge-podge scum lists as far as tournament play goes, since it takes a third of a list instead of half. Its probably the best big ship scum have at this point, the IG-88 is a good ship to build a list around, but will only be good as long as auto-thruster make up half of the meta and swarms don't come back. The hound's tooth just has flat out good stats for the price, is cheap enough to fill holes in other lists, and will stay pretty good through most meta shifts. The big reason you don't see a good deal of them now is because balanced lists aren't a thing, you are either playing a few 360 degree firing arcs, or a bunch of dice manipulating dodge monsters, and fantasy flight didn't exactly help by making the best thing in the new release a 360 degree turret.

The big issue is lack of a K-turn, if it had a k-turn it would be almost broken. You can fix that problem, and deal with auto-thrusters by giving it a feedback array. Most people seem to run them with a K4 security droid or an outlaw tech or both to maximize damage output for cheap. The two mid-level pilots are pretty crap, but bosk and the base ship are worth the points. I've been pretty happy messing around with them, but you can't dump a lot of points into them, as they are mostly there to eat lasers. They would be a lot better if scum had anything close to an interceptor. I haven't tried them with the engine upgrade or anything weird yet, nor have I heard of anyone else doing it, but that might help with the no turn around.
Why hasn't anyone invented good rocket skates yet?

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks guys. I think ill try and pick one up this week and get some games in. Still only played one game so far.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “Star Wars”