Ship cost

For discussing X-Wing and Armada.
Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Ship cost

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm

So I played my first game this week, which was awesome. I ran only 2 ships (boba fett and ig-88). After playing though I was curious about upgrading ships. Is it usually worth putting lots of points into upgrades, or trying to squeeze in more ships? Also are there any upgrades that I should be sure to include on either of those ships?
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Re: Ship cost

Postby Kinne » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:52 pm

The short answer is yes and no, just like in any game. A swarm of effective but un-upgraded ships (B-Wings were the most popular for a while, with three attack dice and eight hit points) can be powerful, but one of the most popular tourney builds was also Fat Han - a Han Solo Falcon with a crapton of upgrades.

As it stands now, munitions aren't really worth it. If it were a single purchase, fire as often as you want thing, then yeah, they might be, but as a one-time use, they're way too expensive. As far as other upgrades, it really depends on the given ship and which upgrades you give them.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 am

Erring on the side of fewer upgrades, especially as you're still getting used to the game, will serve you well. There are some powerful upgrades worth looking at, but as Kinne pointed out most of them are massively overpriced and better suited for casual play.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:41 pm

And speaking of casual play, I load up on munitions and that crap, because it's fun. But for tourneys, slimmer lists tend to be more common, or all eggs in an adamantium basket.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Adamantium basket eh?

Loading up on certain ships to make powerful combos has dominated this years tournament scene. At the events I'm one of very very few players running ships with minimal or no upgrades.

Like the Falcon with tons of stuff, or maybe Dash Rendar. Or Boba Fett, Kath Scarlett, or two IG-88s. The most popular was a very expensive Rear Admiral Chi-something and a maxed out Soontir Fel. The idea for all those builds being that the chance of your opponent killing both of your super tough ships is slim. Especially in only an hour. (Some people even slow play a game, knowing their Falcon is alive, and therefore they can't lose).

But most games, by far, are friendly casual games! And in those do whatever you want! if you like ordnance, feel free to use it. Even too much. Heck, add the extra ordnance upgrades for even more. They'll also get amazing upgrades in the Wave 7 cards. To be effective, just take note of how many opportunities you have to a use an upgrade, and how often it earns its points.

Personally, I like doing weird things with my lists. Heavy, light, fast, or slow. Like a machine gun list of elite TIEs, each of them with the Ruthlessness upgrade for nearly double the fire power. Or a Rogue Squadron lists of X-Wings (they're fun set up for offense or defense).
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Certainly not looking for stupid tournament cheese lists of running down the clock, but the fewer big ships was pretty fun.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Yeah, for your scum, pick a pair of big ships. Any combination of Firesprays and/or IG-88s works well. They're fun, interesting to play, and also tough, which makes them forgiving to new players.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Star Wars”