Anyone else try Armada yet?

For discussing X-Wing and Armada.
Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Anyone else try Armada yet?

Postby Kinne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:36 am

Played my first intro the other day. It was definitely a good time!

The materials are, as one would expect, high quality. All of the cards and tokens are heavy duty and durable. The ship cards are oversized, but it looks like FFG is releasing Tarot card sleeves soon, so that won't be a problem. The only parts I'm a bit concerned about are the fighter stands. They seem a bit too finicky and easy to break, but we'll see how that goes.

Rules wise, there are a lot. There's definitely more to remember turn-by-turn than X-Wing, but if my one game was any indication, it's easy to keep track of everything. Probably my favorite rule are the Command dials. These are the Armada equivalent of actions, but most ships have to choose them well in advance. Each ship has a Command value, and for each point of Command, you have one Command Dial face down near your ship card. When your ship activates, you reveal the dial on top, and when you add dials, they're added to the bottom. So the Victory Star Destroyer, with its Command of three, chooses commands three turns in advance. The Corvette only has Command one, so you use the dial each turn. Of course, a high command has a benefit, too.

Combat is pretty brutal and quick. At first I was leery of the six turn game limit. But when the Victory Star Destroyer rolled up and annihilated my Corvette with a single activation, well. . .six turns is all you really need. You can stretch that out, though. My Nebulon B exchanged a few blows with the Victory and suffered a lot of damage, then cruised by and spent several turns repairing before coming in again. And dying. Also, starfighters die. Quickly. An X-Wing stand can knock out a TIE Fighter stand with a single round of shooting pretty reliably.

Overall, the game was a lot of fun. Pretty intuitive and easy to learn. The rules seem solid. And it'll have that same great quality X-Wing has - easy to learn but all of the expansions will add new combinations and strategies. Hopefully this one won't have a end-all list like X-Wing currently does.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: Anyone else try Armada yet?

Postby Dez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 am

I'm curious to see it played, but have no interest in actually playing it. I would be interested in a ship boarding game Imperial Assault style though, I love that game.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Maybe that'll be an expansion. And Dez, trust me. . .it's good times.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:30 pm

I've played about a half a dozen of the starter game to get people introduced to the rules. The game is a bit daunting for new players at first - Trying to understand how to play it well is hard enough without having to remember what all the heiroglyphics mean. Similarly, the two starter box factions aren't very well balanced to each other.

As a more cerebral challenge than X-Wing to get my Star Wars fix, I like it. X-Wing is better for pure fun, but I definitely feel more mentally taxed by trying to play Armada well. That said, the dice mechanics are a bit wonky (red dice are consistently long range dice, but have an enormous result variance so die rolls can undermine an otherwise solid mental skirmish) and the squadrons, while cool looking, feel bolted on and not very relevant to the game.

I think once the wave 1 and 2 stuff hits and the game develops some variety, it'll be pretty cool. In its current state though, I'm not sure I'd bother playing it without the fact that it's Star Wars. That's obviously not something I'd say about X-Wing, of course, seeing as I am all too happy to play its Trek analog without knowing hardly anything about the IP.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Wow, thought I had replied here.

I totally agree with you. The starfighters as-is are kind of pointless. They're great at blasting each other, but useless against the capital ships (although I did manage to roll a Crit with my X-Wings and do double damage).

And Armada will be far more cerebral than X-Wing, for sure. And I think the main issue is, like you said, the starter set is just kind of flat. I would argue that the X-Wing starter is similar. One X-Wing against two TIE Fighters with almost no upgrades gets old. Fast. I'm looking forward to the Wave One expansion, but not as much as I am toward the Wave Two. Imperial Star Destroyers? Yes please!

Return to “Star Wars”