Battle Tech Legacy League

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Battle Tech Legacy League

Postby whytwolf » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:52 pm

I'll be at Off the Wall this Saturday from 1 to 5, if anyone else wants to take part in the new player boot camp. You only need to bring yourself and dice. I'll have everything else.

The boot camp is intended for people have never played, or who need a refresher, and are interested in a hands-on training game.

Brian
Catalyst Demo Agent #411
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

LemonTuesday
Whiteshield

Postby LemonTuesday » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:06 am

J Rzasa wrote:Experience:

We’ll be using a very simply system for Experience. Each Pilot will get a “Skill Point” every game they play in. Any time a pilot rolls a natural 2 or 12 on any non-Location roll they will earn an additional skill point. A Pilot may spend his Skill Points to lower their skill. Prices to lower are as follows:

6 -> 5 = 5 pts
5 -> 4 = 10 pts
4 -> 3 = 15 pts
3 -> 2 = 20 pts
2 -> 1 = 25 pts
1 -> 0 = 30 pts

Is it intentional that gunnery and piloting cost the same to improve? The rules usually assume that gunnery is twice as valuable as piloting.

J Rzasa wrote:How do we want to do Mech Repairs?
If we do actual repairs, do we want to limit parts available?
How complicated do you want to make Maintenance costs?

What I would really like is for parts to be limited to your inventory and salvage, and for the field customization rules to be in play. I would love to see what kind of quirky junkers that creates.

I also think it would be neat to keep track of experience and status for all of the personnel, if maybe a little too much like working in Human Resources.

I realize that all this would be extremely impractical, especially for less experienced players. I think it's generally ok to just let us decide whether or not to repair a 'mech, or maybe just assign an amount of money and/prioritize repair items.

J Rzasa wrote:Do we want to do Outfit/Commander Experience?

Sounds interesting. It would add a little flavor to our units. It sounds like it might not be the most balanced, but balance doesn't seem to be a very big concern anyway.

J Rzasa wrote:Do we want to do “Special Events”?

I don't see why not, as long as there's enough interest (on your and our parts), and as long as they aren't mandatory.

J Rzasa wrote:Auto Succeed/Fail House Rule?

By the book! I'm certainly not in favor of making the game more unpredictable.

J Rzasa wrote:I need a way to post the available Mechs for sale, the available Pilots for Hire, and any available Missions. If I post this on the Forums will anyone read it?

Well, I will now.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Gwen, you're a lot like me. The Mercenary rules can bury someone under corporate style paperwork. However, keeping track of all your personnel and maintenance costs, and squeezing every C-Bill of profit out of your contracts.

However, this would be a giant nightmare for most players, as many are just trying to smash big robots against each other.

On top of this, allowing people to customize mechs will really allow veterans to outgun the newbies. On top of this, NPC forces would have to be customized and optimized to be a fun fight, otherwise the veterans are going to run roughshod over them. I don't have the time to do that.

I think I've come up with a good compromise. You're going to have lots of options, and you will have a toned down Personnel list. While your support staff will be background, and figured into your pilot and mech maintenance costs, they will still technically be there. You'll be able to tear Salvage mechs apart into components and use those components to fill in other damaged mechs.

Special Events will not be mandatory, but will allow you to gain additional C-Bills and hang out. I'm thinking mainly Solaris VII style gladiator combats, but I haven't come up with how that is going to work. Will need to talk to Brian a bit.

The Piloting and Gunnery costs are intentional. I wanted to try and keep it simple. However, in writing this post, I forgot to post the main rule that balances this out. Your abilities MUST be within 2 of each other. So if a Regular Pilot drops his Gunning down from 4 to 3, he must next drop his Piloting from 5 to 4 before he can increase his gunnery at all. This stops people from picking up Green pilots and trying to level their gunning so they are a 6/1.

What this really means is that it costs 25 pts to go from Regular to Veteran. However, since 25 Skill Points could take awhile to get, you're allowed to divide that 25 up to lower the requisite parts individually. This makes sense, as you sometimes see Pilots that are 4/4, or 3/3, or even 5/3.

I'm hoping to have the Player Packet up by Sunday. It's going to be a pretty massive document (probably 10-20 pages, 5-10 double sided), but will include all charts needed so you won't need to refer to books when resolving games and dealing with your Company. It will also include revised information, such as different costs for Pilot Salaries (Pilot Salary + Maintenance Costs)

~J

LemonTuesday
Whiteshield

Postby LemonTuesday » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 am

I didn't see the footnotes on the Magistracy of Canopus 'mech table. My Marik salvage rolls should have been Liao salvage instead (since it's after 3034).

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm

I wouldn't stress it. We can look at the chart if you want and see if the other mech would have been better, but in the large scheme of things it's not important. You could also argue that you may have gotten the recruit before 3034, as your entire company length took 2+ years to generate.

I'm going to be opening a new forum for this campaign in the coming days where I'll be asking for the names of companies and will be posting info.

~J

LemonTuesday
Whiteshield

Postby LemonTuesday » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:41 am

I'm strongly considering changing my first heavy choice from the Grasshopper to the Guillotine just so I can name the pilot Fung Sheng Wu Chi.

Return to “Battletech”