Battle Tech Legacy League

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Battle Tech Legacy League

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Ok guys, wanted you give you all a shot at reading this. This is not complete, it is a skeleton outline that I wanted to post up to foster some conversation. I have some questions I'd like to hear answers for from the players, and they are listed at the bottom. The specific method for making a Merc Company is kinda involved, and I'd like to get everything else situated before I post that side.

Setting: 3025 (Level 1 Tech)

Overview:

This will be a Mercenary style campaign. At the beginning of the campaign, each player will generate a Company worth of Battle Mechs and support Personnel (Infantry, Tanks, Artillery). We will not be using Aerospace for the purposes of this campaign, as it is not new player friendly.

We will differ from the Unit Generation in the Mercenary handbook in the following ways:
- Company Generation will stop when you hit 12 Mechs
- All 12 Mech spots are guaranteed to have a Mech.
- Mechs will be rolled randomly from a fan made 3025 Random Mech Chart
- Again, we will not be using Aerospace fighters

Once the company is generated, and any further money is converted into C-Bills, the commander is set. Starting the first month they may sell and buy any Mechs or Vehicles available. There will be a static number and type of Mech and Vehicle available, which everyone will be able to buy from. Purchases will be first come, first served. In the event of a “Tie” the purchase will be given to the company with the lower rating. I know that this is not technically correct in the Universe, but it will make things more fair to a player who is getting pounded.

Any player may fold their company at any time, and re-make their company. They must choose a different Company and Leader name.

Missions:

For lack of a better term, the Game Turn will start on the first Wednesday of each month. You will have until the first Wednesday of the following Month to complete any games and turn them in.

At the start of the month, there will be new Missions available. Each Mission will require a Lance (4) of Mechs, at a minimum. Therefore a starting level Company may take up to 3 Missions a month. Missions don’t have to be taken at the beginning of the month. If you had taken 1 Mission so far and played it, then decided you wanted another Mission, you may request a second and/or third at any time. Please remember that you are still on the hook for those Missions, and they must be completed by the end of the month period.

You will have 1 month to play your games. Any game not played inside of that month will be considered a no show, and will adversely affect your Dragoon Rating, which affects how much money you get paid.

Games will either be Company Vs. Company, or Company vs. NPC Force. An NPC Force will be handed out if this is the case, and the player will need to find an opponent to play the NPC Force. NPC Forces are subject to the “Forced Withdrawal” rules from the main book.

Experience:

We’ll be using a very simply system for Experience. Each Pilot will get a “Skill Point” every game they play in. Any time a pilot rolls a natural 2 or 12 on any non-Location roll they will earn an additional skill point. A Pilot may spend his Skill Points to lower their skill. Prices to lower are as follows:

6 -> 5 = 5 pts
5 -> 4 = 10 pts
4 -> 3 = 15 pts
3 -> 2 = 20 pts
2 -> 1 = 25 pts
1 -> 0 = 30 pts

Questions:

So I have a ton of questions for perspective players, and it relates to how much work you guys want to do.

How do we want to do Mech Repairs?

We have some options. We can assume that all Contracts pay 100% of repairs and ammo. This would lower the total amount of C-Bills that the contract pays out. It would also mean any Salvage Gained (Defeated Mechs that are added to your pool) would be fully repaired when given to you.

Or I could supply a price chart and we could let people manually repair mechs. Any Mech that is sold damaged would have it’s repair total cost removed.

If we do actual repairs, do we want to limit parts available?

I’m against this, but I know someone is going to ask. I think Mech parts should be widely available, but Mech’s themselves are harder to come by. I have to ask though.

Do we want to do Outfit/Commander Experience?

The Mercenary book has lots of ideas for Company-wide skills. For each fight, a Company would gain 1 XP and an additional 1 XP for a win. This would allow them to then purchase skills for their Company which would give them a slight edge.

This same question applies to personal skills to Commanders/Officers. Should they be able to spend their Skill Points on Skills. Say, 10 pts buys you a +1 to your initiative roll on each turn.

Do we want to do “Special Events”?

A good example is doing a Solaris VII style Arena combat every month. This would allow people to make some extra money and use some of their experienced pilots.

For Missions, should I require a certain BV, or limit BV on missions? How about Tonnage?

Is this too much? Do we want to try and balance the fights? Does anyone care?

Auto Succeed/Fail House Rule?

I know I’ve always played that regardless of modifiers, a natural 2 and a natural 12 always fails/succeeds. Anyone here interested in this, or do we want to stay with the standard in the book?

I need a way to post the available Mechs for sale, the available Pilots for Hire, and any available Missions. If I post this on the Forums will anyone read it?

Please note, I will have a copy on me at all times for people who might not be able to get to the forums. But if you can get to e-mail, you can get to the forums.

I'd also like to post campaign fluff and a Monthly Re-cap on the forums. I'd love to see some banter.

How complicated do you want to make Maintenance costs?

We could do all sorts of things. I feel like a flat rate per Mech/Pilot should be enough. But some people like maintaining their crew members, the crew members stats, etc. The better their crew members, the more they can do, but the more they cost.

Is anyone down for a real paperwork campaign or is a flat cost per mech and salary per pilot enough?

Anyone else have any questions?

~J

Eluvatar
Recruit

Re: Battle Tech Legacy League

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 pm

As a new player, I'd prefer to keep things simple with flat rates for repair and maintenance. Commander experience is cool.
As the campaign progresses, contract rates could adjust according to who is winning the general faction conflict. It could be interesting to let players resign contracts, switch sides/clients, or even try to protract conflicts to generate more cash. Or as a simpler way of putting it, letting players choose objectives to change the background setting in their favor, according to their agenda. Maybe this could prove too complicated in practice.
Perhaps everyone could receive a secret or open Campaign Objective from the "DM", and at the end of the campaign those who achieve their Objective the best get extra points. Just a thought.
"In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, There is No Cake." -Me

"Give a man a fire, and he shall be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he shall be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Officer_Nasty
Recruit

Postby Officer_Nasty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Sounds like a good time. Simple is good as far as paperwork goes - I want to enjoy it and not make it like a second job. But, I'm down for whatever, as long as I get to play as a giant robot and make things asplode.
"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Since you guys are new, and I've done a lot of talking and thinking since this was posted, I want to elaborate a bit on how this would work. I'm heavily leaning toward putting in all the needed complexity, and then backing the complexity down if it becomes an issue during the campaign.

On repairs: Everything will be fixed cost. Let me give an example, but please recognize that as of this moment, these numbers are place holders. I'll have more info hopefully this time next week:

Example: Your Mech has taken 84 armor points worth of damage (had 84 armor boxes checked off), including both internal and external. In addition, the mech lost 2 Medium Lazers and a Hand Actuator. 1 Ton of Armor is 16 armor points. Each ton costs 10,000 C-Bills. This requires at least 6 Tons of Armor (96 Armor Points), and costs 60,000 C-Bills. The 12 Extra Armor points can be stored in case other Mechs have been damaged. The Hand Actuator would be (80 x Mech Tonage) in C-Bills. If it's a 100 ton mech, it would be 8,000 C-Bills to replace. Medium Lasers are 40,000 C-Bills to replace, you'd need to spend 80,000 C-bills to completely repair. That would mean you'd have to spend 148,000 C-Bills to repair this mech, if it was 100 Tons. Say it's an Atlas. Atlas's can cost up to 14 Million C-Bills, for a comparison of how much you'd need to spend.

Also remember, if you get Battlefield Salvage you can use it to repair your mechs. If you got a mech that had 2 Medium Lasers left and some armor, you could use that and not have to pay the costs. In addition, a contract will normally pay some part of repairs. If the contract will pay 25%, then you would be given 37,000 C-Bills to help repair that mech.

Since your a Mercenary Company, you don't have allegiance to any of the Inner Sphere Houses. However, if you happen to like House Steiner, you could take the majority of contracts with them. Or maybe your a fan of the Draconis Combine. I was not planning on doing any sort of "Reputation System" for gaining favor with the houses, but I could if that would make people happy. However, that was a level of complexity I didn't want to go too deep into. If the campaign is a success, and people want the fluff around the missions to expand, and people are playing regularly, then we can definitely revisit it.

You will not have Missions assigned to you. You may bid on missions on the first Wednesday of every Month. This means that you can choose if you want to do a Planetary Assault, or if you want to do Garrison Duty, or Scout Missions, or Training Missions, or defense of a Guaranteed Assault. All of these types of missions give different rewards, and different parameters. So you can detail what you want to do. Did you take a good beating? Maybe you take some Garrison duties, or some Training Missions. This nets you money and a little XP, but it may not give you a battle, allowing you to repair and retrain, as well as recruit.

Then you can look around for people who drew a battle and need someone to fill in as an opponent. Or maybe that easy Garrison duty ended up being the target of a Planetary Assault....

I want to make this accessible to new players. However, I don't want to water it down too far for the Veterans. Part of the interest in this type of campaign is allowing you to see your force grow and change.

Please let me know if you have more suggestions, comments or questions. I'm going to talk to some guys on Wednesday and Saturday, see what people want to do. Doing a quick count, we could easily have between 10-16 people for this, giving plenty of options.

~J

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:07 am

If you have enough newbie players, do you want to set up a boot camp to get them started? Depending on the weekend, I could make some time to run it.

Also, if for some reason you need someone to run an NPC force as a drop in let me know.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Eluvatar
Recruit

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I for one am up for the weekend Battletech boot camp idea. Perhaps something similar to the farm league for Bloodbowl, where participating players could transfer a boot camp merc force over to the league when September rolls around?

Mechwarrior Rick O'Shea is waiting to hit the battlefield. :P

"Give a man a fire, and he shall be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he shall be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 pm

A boot camp game would be to teach new players the basic mechanics and rules of the game, using a defined set of starter mechs. It wouldn't feed into the campaign, unless J wanted to devise a way for that to happen.

I could run a boot camp as early as this Friday afternoon as I have the day off, Saturday afternoon or evening, or on the 23rd or 24th of this month.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Eluvatar
Recruit

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Gotcha.

This Friday or Saturday sound good to me.

Eluvatar
Recruit

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Apologies for posting twice in a row.

If I wanted to start collecting the appropriate models like Mechs, Infantry, Mechanized, etc., that are not part of the introductory boxed set, it would make sense to know in advance of the campaign what my company would look like, so I could try and buy the right models.

Could there be an early registration date or something when the DM is ready? So players could try and get the right models before the campaign proper began? This would reduce borrowing and stand-ins, and allow players to truly field a cohesive, painted company on the tabletop.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm

It's cool, post as needed.

I'm going to let people start rolling up their companies as early as this Wednesday, as I'll have all the stuff on me. I need people to do this so I can begin to print everyone's sheets out.

You can find the Models on the Iron Wind Metals site, and Jadam can order them. However, there are not always models for some of the vehicles and Infantry. If you find that to be the case, Reaper Minis has/had a great range of tanks and mechs.

In Battle Tech, you only need a mech of the same Weight Class (Light, Medium, Heavy, or Assault) to stand in for anything you might field. While having the actual mech is awesome, it is not required. A lot of the people in the league probably won't have the actual mechs, and I'd be surprised if people have WYSIWYG tanks. I plan on picking up a couple packs, but who knows.

This campaign is going to be a bit fast and loose in the way of models and painting mainly because you could easily end up with a completely different company in 3-4 months. Stuff can die quickly, and suddenly.

I hope this answers your question. I'm hoping to have a player packet posted before Wednesday, though that might not happen, depending on work.

~J

Return to “Battletech”