Bolt Action

For any systems without their own place
Dez
Storm Trooper

Bolt Action

Postby Dez » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello, the Prodigal Gamer here again. Bolt Action seems to be taking the gaming world by storm, I've had my eyes on it and it seems like a great tactical game. I've been building and painting up a US and German force...but in 15mm.

Yes, 15mm for a multitude of reasons. The first is I like that scale. You can have a truly awesome assortment of tanks and infantry on the table, while still maintaining all the rules and measurements. Another reason is cost. I got the Open Fire box set from Flames of War...and now I have 2 2000 points armies. Bolt Action is most popularly played in 1000 points, though it scales up and down really nicely (or so internet/YouTube tells me). I can also paint REALLY fast at this scale. Off the Wall has tons of models in this scale available.

I can also see myself playing this in 28mm with Bolt Action models. I'd love to paint up a beaten, battered and lived in looking Sherman.

The rules look really good.

Order Dice: There is no 'You go, I go'. For each unit, you have a die. You and your opponent throw your dice into a cup/bag/opaque container, and draw one to activate. For instance, I'd put my 12 green die and my opponent his 12 grey die. At the start of the turn, we'd draw a die. If it was grey, my opponent would choose a unit and give it an order. This can change the course of a game several times during a turn. You are also always in the game, and not off getting a water or shopping while your opponent goes through their phase/turn.

It's really nicely balanced. Most units are relatively the 'same', bar your country's special rules. For instance, a Vindicator is a Vindicator whether it's Space Marine or Chaos...though it can have differing rules and equipment.

Streamlined game mechanics. For instance, everything hits on 3's. You then add modifiers for range, cover, pinned, experience, etc.

I love the idea of always being on your toes, and watching the game swing back and forth depending on Order Dice. Anyone interested in trying it out?
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: Bolt Action

Postby Dez » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:01 am

Hey all,

Just wanted to pass along a great video for those interested in Bolt Action and how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZXabaK ... f&index=15

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

moffmalthus
Recruit

Postby moffmalthus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:45 am

So I see this was posted a couple months ago but I just picked up the starter set for Bolt Action. Does anyone do demo games for this? Looks like a great system from what I've seen so far.
"You don't know the power of the dark side." -Lord Vader

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 pm

I can do a demo or J Rzasa who is usually at OtW on weekends if i recall. There is a 90% chance I'll be there this Wednesday.

It's a great game!

ADB

moffmalthus
Recruit

Postby moffmalthus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:59 pm

That would be awesome! I could play the Demo once I get in an Armada game but that should be done by 5.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:31 pm

I won't be there until @6 if we are going. I know Corwin wants to try it out too, I can set you guys up to play against each other.

ADB

Ankaru
Veteran

Postby Ankaru » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm glad that more people are interesting in this game. I just ordered my first t34 tank for my Russians, so hopefully I can learn how to actually fight with and against tanks soon. Won't be at the store for a while due to work and wanting to get my other models done.
Fantasy is cool. Sci-fi is cool too. But when you combine them, they become even cooler.

moffmalthus
Recruit

Postby moffmalthus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Sounds good. I plan to put together a unit based on the 116th Panzer Division from 1944-45 then work on a late war Italian or British army.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 pm

Sounds awesome!

I won't be able to make it again this Wednesday, my friend is still having car trouble and we don't want to abandon him with no games. Really really looking to make it next week!

ADB

moffmalthus
Recruit

Postby moffmalthus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:25 am

lol... look forward to a game on the 15th then!

Return to “Other Systems”