Wrath of Kings, room to grow?

For any systems without their own place
Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Wrath of Kings, room to grow?

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:57 pm

So there has been a great deal of talk on other gaming boards about Wrath of Kings, and I know a number of stores where players are playing games. I also know there are a number of players in our area that backed the kickstarter. I've read the rules, assembled an army and have started dabbling with a little painting so far. I have not yet played a full game, but went through demos at Templecon. My biggest reservation about the game is its potential room to grow and expand. There are no points costs to the models. You simply determine a game size and that tells you how many models you get. The lower level models can be "exchanged" on a 2-1 level for better models. But basically from this I am seeing that most/every level 1 model needs to be balanced against each other, and each level 2 model needs to be twice as good as a level 1 model, or at least balanced with each other. This system does not seem like it has the ability to stay balanced for the long haul, and has limited room to expand into new models over time. I do certainly see the room to expand into a level 3, or level 4 system, but again it would have to be worth the trade off.

My second issue is the idea of activating. Once one side finishes the other side gets one more activation. This would make it seem like having as few models as possible is a major advantage because if I can activate all of my guys in 2 activations, it only gives you 2-3 activations per turn and the rest of your guys just stand around.

Curious if anyone else has had these thoughts, or tried the game at a large enough level to prove my speculation wrong.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: Wrath of Kings, room to grow?

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:13 pm

To be honest with you, I'm still assembling. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the pegs in the bottom of their feet have been giving me a hell of a time, as I need to drill out the bases. This tends to be a time consuming process.

But I hold many of the same reservations as you. I feel like they will end up making a ton of models that do something fundamentally the same as the models that are currently existing, they will just look cool. Maybe they will add in some ranged attacks, or archer type units. Maybe they will simply add bigger and bigger models. Maybe they will add different factions. It really feels like this is a game about cool looking models, and the rules were tacked on to give you something to do with them after they were painted. I would imagine if they want to grow this into a more competitive game, they are going to he to release a second edition with better strategy mechanics.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm

To keep things simple J, I just cut the pegs off and glue them to the base. Makes life much easier.
Wyrd Henchman

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:13 pm

They could have a more modular system. Where one basic guy is one point (like Warmachine).
Players could agree to any amount then.
They could also add a point system later. Or have it as an option for more complex games.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:00 pm

I was afraid of hacking the pegs off and then having the models with the little contact points remaining glued to the base.

I'm also hugely turned off by the huge lips on the bases. I thought about filling the bases in with putty and then sticking the models in the putty, but I'm not sure I want to spend $50 in green stuff. I get why they are there, those are the bases that they are going to have Micro Art Studios manufacture inserts for, which is awesome. But it sucks right now.

I think my biggest problem here is that I'm not giving this game a fair shake because I have so much to put together, paint, read, learn, deal with. I'm looking forward to getting some serious painting in in the next couple weeks, and try and get this stuff finished off.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:07 pm

I really like the sunk bases, but some of the models don't fit into them. I've used them in the past for water bases and such, so I ended up mixing them with extra warmachine/malifaux bases that I had laying around.
Wyrd Henchman

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm

It'd be nice if they, and every company, had the option for sunken or normal bases.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Other Systems”