I've become Dystopian

madvitale
Whiteshield

I've become Dystopian

Postby madvitale » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:18 pm

OK, gents. I've just thrown down on this game. I chose the FSA and bought the starter set. Had to have a robot (saw the pics of the 'John Henry'....it flies! Can you say "Iron Giant"? Sure you can!). Plus, they will get dirigibles. Gotta love it. Hopefully, I can hook up with one or more of you all for a couple friendly games to test out the 'training wheels'.

Some questions.
1) How did your cut out the templates? Did you use a straightedge and an Xacto knife, or just a good pair of scissors and care?
2) Did you base coat white, black , or something else?
3) What sort of washes would you recommend for making the decking stand out?
4) Did you magnetize the two bombers, 'cause they don't seem to stay on the stands without some help?
5) Did you magnetize the generators? If so, how? Hollow out a bit underneath each one and the spot on the ship to which it attaches, or some other way?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: I've become Dystopian

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 pm

madvitale wrote:OK, gents. I've just thrown down on this game. I chose the FSA and bought the starter set. Had to have a robot (saw the pics of the 'John Henry'....it flies! Can you say "Iron Giant"? Sure you can!). Plus, they will get dirigibles. Gotta love it. Hopefully, I can hook up with one or more of you all for a couple friendly games to test out the 'training wheels'.

Some questions.
1) How did your cut out the templates? Did you use a straightedge and an Xacto knife, or just a good pair of scissors and care?
2) Did you base coat white, black , or something else?
3) What sort of washes would you recommend for making the decking stand out?
4) Did you magnetize the two bombers, 'cause they don't seem to stay on the stands without some help?
5) Did you magnetize the generators? If so, how? Hollow out a bit underneath each one and the spot on the ship to which it attaches, or some other way?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

1) I used scissors and love, though I did run with the scissors a little bit. Don't worry, I'll heal.
2) I used black, but I suppose what you used depends on what your desired end result will be.
3) Depends on what color you go with. If you go with a brown, use Devlan Mud.
4) I didn't magnetize or glue them yet. I'm thinking I will magnetize them eventually.
5) I don't think there is a need to magnetize them, stuff tends to stay in.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 am

1) Im lazy and still havent cut them all out.
2) Basecoated gray.
3) devlan mud or ogran flesh depending on the tone you want.
4) I have not yet magnitized them but that was going to be my goal.
5) I magnetized the generators but was unsure of a drilling depth out of fear of ruining them, so now they dont quite sit right. I need to go back and add a little plasticard to make them even. After thinking about it, a thin piece of metal like a washer may have worked better than a magnet on both pieces.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

1. Tried a straight edge and it slipped on a couple. :( Would've freehanded it if had a do over.
2. Based Grey
3. Devlan Mud - worked great for getting the planks to stand out. Based them fairly light for good contrast.
4. I just sit the bombers on top and they perch there ok for play.
5. Glued my generator in. Might not have if played fsa as rockets and generators look pretty different.

Glad to hear another player has joined the ranks. I was thinking of a dystopian day here at the house some weekend day. Perhaps next month?
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:22 am

Sounds fun!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:51 pm

If you give me enough advance warning to arrange my 'Monkies' schedules, I'm in.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Gents. I'm out of touch until Sunday, but anyone want to get a practice game in Sunday afternoon at OTW?

Return to “Dystopian Wars”