rules clarifications

MadMike
Whiteshield

rules clarifications

Postby MadMike » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

I've been scanning the rules thread on the Spartan forums and came across some clarifications on things I've (we?) have been doing incorrectly. As I see more I will add them over time. :) I'll put newest additions in green.

1. A ship cannot shoot at a ship and board it in the same turn. Doesn't seem to preclude other ships in the squadron from whittling it down however. However, the ship that is doing the boarding may fire at other ships freely in its activation.

2. Ships can fire AA offensively at tiny flyers. Here I think the rule which states you cannot if the tiny flyers are not a threat is referring to the tiny flyer activation. Ships don't fire at them when they just fly by. But on a ship's activation, tiny flyers nearby can be targeted.

3. Tiny Flyers : Here is the clearest summary of combat seen so far.

Scenario:
3 Tiny Flyers on 3 Tiny Flyers
Fighter Squadron has 2 Ack-ack each.

Summary:
Roll 2d6/Fighter assigning each group of 2 die to an enemy token. Pick out all of the 6's rolled and kill that number of tokens, (making sure that you kill the token that the 6 was assigned to first). If there aren't enough 6's to kill all of the enemy tokens then compare groups of dice to the tokens they are asigned to. Any 3,4,5's = 1 abort result.

Pick up any 6's rolled and reroll them for any tokens still alive, assigning them as you choose. Pick out all of the 6's rolled and kill that number of tokens, (making sure that you kill the token that the 6 was assigned to first). If there aren't enough 6's to kill all of the enemy tokens then compare groups of dice to the tokens they are asigned to. Any 3,4,5's = 1 abort result.

Repeat...

**** I think it speeds up play to just roll all dice as a pool and distribute aborts and kills evenly. Though above scenario should be allowable as choice when say trying to target tiny flyers with uneven fuel amounts, remaining torpedos, etc. Not mentioned above, but was earlier in the post is of course, linking tinies against any enemy tiny flyer is an option as well.

Recently saw that my speed up version above should be avoided. Important reasons include multiple aborts on a single flier cause multiple fuel losses. Also, when attacking ships with tinies, if tinies target multiple ships, each ship can only AA against their respective attackers.

4. Ships may make turns less than the angle on the template, similar to the stated rules for land and air units. Easier for lining up torpedoes.

5. Here is clarification/simplification of Tiny Fliers and Carriers.
Scenario 1:
Turn 2: My Squadron of Torp Bombers attacks an enemy ship.
Turn 3: I move my Torp Bombers back towards a carrier and end my movement within 4" of the carrier.
Turn 4a: When I activate my Torp Bombers, I can land them on the carrier.
Turn 4b: My carrier can activate and shoot but cannot launch the torp bombers that landed earlier that turn
Turn 5: I activate the Carrier and can launch the Torp Bombers (at any point in my movement). BUT, my Torp Bombers do nothing that turn.
Turn 6: I am now free to activate the Torp Bombers as normal.

6. Defensive AA attacks are only made once against a squadron's same weapon type attacks. Multiple rocket attacks from the same unit generate only one defensive AA burst.

Example: Let´s say a squadron of 3 FSA cruisers fire their rockets separately (not linked) at max. range (5 AD each) against a squadron of three KoB frigates. The frigates each have 2 AA and they´re in range to cover each other. Frigates can now use all 6 AA dice against the first attack only. If there was a boarding assault against the same frigates or a different type of attack that generates AA defense in the same round, they would once again get all their AA dice against those attacks.

7. Dive bombers end their movement adjacent to the target ship, even though they may have remaining movement left.

8. EoBS port/starboard guns for frigates, cruisers and battleship use fixed channel. (I've been playing that one wrong for a while)

9. Rocket attacks on ships with multiple rocket batteries on the model use the center of the model for line of sight. (in clarifications on spartan site)

10. No indirect fire from rockets. Only from primaries.

11. Flyers with fixed channel weapons use their base for determining the width of the channel.

12. Squadrons attacked by multiple tiny flyers must allocate their AA against tiny flyers attacking them. The cannot link to defend others in squadron. For other attacks, they may distribute their AA as desired. - actually addressed in #3 above as well.

13. Flyer tokens that leave board to refuel spend one turn off board to reload/refuel. (pg. 69)

14. When attempting to board a vessel, if attacker scores more hits than the defender, but both still have AP alive to fight the next turn, the attacker can sabotage the vessel (I think a roll on the critical table).

15. Tiny flyers expend fuel any time they fire, either defensively or offensively. This includes defensive AA against rockets when in a CAP attachment.

--- If anyone has a specific question not addressed here, let me know and I will see if I can get an answer for you.

Mike
Last edited by MadMike on Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 am, edited 17 times in total.
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: rules clarifications

Postby Dez » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I scanned the book quick as well, and I was thinking about Tiny Flyers being targeted. They don't have to stay in squadron formation, you could have two tiny flyers from the same squadron at different sides of the board...it almost seems you have to target them individually, which could be annoying I'm not sure.

Another thing I noticed is Swift Ascent. Bombers have it, so that when they are targeted they can gain altitude to be obscured on a d6 roll (makes them really tough).

I can't wait for Gyros :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:54 pm

I thought they had to stay in 4" of each other to be a squadron of tiny flyiers.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 am

Updated with important AA info.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for the Carrier update, that makes them considerably better than I thought they were. I was under the impression you couldn't fire if you received a squadron.

~J

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 am

Updated with rocket attack line of sight and EoBS port/starboard gun firing.

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 am

Updated with indirect rocket and defensive AA. Thread discussing these can be found here:

http://forum.spartangames.co.uk/smf/ind ... pic=5993.0

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Updated with ongoing AP assaults (#14).

I think this could have come up in a couple of my games.

Thread:

http://forum.spartangames.co.uk/smf/ind ... pic=6035.0

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Tue May 10, 2011 7:34 am

Updated with Tiny Flyer AA and fuel expenditure. #15

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Haven't added much here in a while, but playing a game last week prompted me to visit the Spartan forums again and I found a couple of entries that looked interesting.

The first is revising Tiny Flyer rules:
http://forum.spartangames.co.uk/smf/ind ... pic=7980.0

Key thing here is that it address fuel (pain in the a$$) and squadron activiations (easy to manipulate). Also addresses carriers making them much more useful. I want to get the model, but have a hard time believing I would field it. Under these rules, its good to go in my opinion.

Second is a new class of vessels for landing craft:
http://forum.spartangames.co.uk/smf/ind ... pic=7975.0

This new vessel looks balanced and finally gives a reason to field land units on small land area tables. I have the land units, but can't see playing with them in a mixed encounter. Landing craft provide easy ways of adding objectives on land to defend/attack without creating huge land areas to deploy them on.

Return to “Dystopian Wars”