New Water Table

Rogue
Whiteshield

Re: New Water Table

Postby Rogue » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 pm

that.is.so.cool. that is the coolest thing ever. OMG.... i'd stare at it forever.
Hive Fleet Gremlin falls on your head.

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks. :)

I actually wish the resin coating came out a touch better, but it works well and seems to hold up very well. :)
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

London
Whiteshield

Postby London » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 am

I'm gonna bang around some ideas here, cause I want to get some feedback -

for the board, Im going to try and get a 3/4 in, 7-ply cabinet grade piece of plywood. its pretty smooth, and i think stiff enough to be moved around on its own. it comes in a 4' x 8' so ill be able to cut the extra 2' x 4' off and make islands or something.

id considered a 4x8 1/8in tempered hardwood, because the top of it is smooth as glass, but that's not necessary as the clear coat will be the top finish.

first paint coat will be a spray, of blue and green. should be simple to do.

then theres the polyeurothane. it comes in a gallon can, runs about 30 $, and comes in a style called, 'maximum build' so im thinking it should be thick enough. i did see the 2 part resin at the hardware store, but a 20 $ box only covers about 6 sq feet. a little too steep for my college kid budget.

next layer of paint, blue green and maybe a little white, but thin enough to still see the bottom layer.

then one more layer of the polyeurothane, and I think we'll be sailing the high seas.

if anyone knows any way that would be cheaper, and still come out with a decent finish and a stiff board, let me know.

all in all, will probably cost me about 80 $

let me know what you think
Take black the Knight. M
There are seven kinds of Darkness 7 - just like before.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:14 pm

I think you could get away with a thinner layer of plywood. I would go with 1/2" and then make a frame around the bottom out of 1x3 pine. It will make the entire table lighter, and still offer the support you want.

Also keep in mind if you are not accustomed to working with pouring a liquid layer over a gaming surface, you need to make sure you are absolutely level, and the layer will continue to spread for several hours, so do not leave it unattended or you will return to a mess. Any layer after the first will not be absorbed into the wood, so it will spread as far as it possibly can.

One more thing, is to make sure that each layer of water is completely cured before putting the next layer on, and do it in very thin coats, or it can fog up while curing.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

MadMike
Whiteshield

Postby MadMike » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:36 am

I second Kevin on the wood selection. My table is 1/4" plywood with 1' x 2" strips making a frame that accommodates my coffee table. Quick to do, and probably a bit cheaper/lighter. Though it adds to its storage thickness.

As for resin coatings, if your using regular varnish, you might not have to worry about the spreading problems. Varnish usually goes on in thin layers, and 3 coats would be minimum I would expect. You might need 4-5. Sanding between will be important.

If you want to go the route of Envirotex, you can order it online as well. Might be cheaper.

Also, sounds like your planning on painting over the first layer of poly. I wouldn't do that as you might have adhesion problems. If your aiming for a 'murky' look, you might look at tinting the poly directly. If its water based, a little acrylic paint will most likely be o.k. If your going with oil based poly, I would use an ink I think. I would test the cure of the poly with a tiny tinted batch before tinting the whole can though. ;)

Hope that helps a little.
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

Return to “Dystopian Wars”