Curious about this

netgeist
Veteran

Curious about this

Postby netgeist » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Grumble....grumble...another minis game that looks cool.

I am looking at Brettonia or maybe Federated States. Thoughts on their differences?

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: Curious about this

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:29 pm

My biggest issue with the game and actually caused me to give up on it was movement. The rules allow you to not move the full distance in inches as part of a turn, so essentially you can simply go where you want regardless of the template.

As for your question FSA has awesome battleships and dreadnoughts. So if you want fewer larger ships I would go with them. The turrets and paddle wheels are really good.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

netgeist
Veteran

Postby netgeist » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Is this still an issue in the new version? Kevin mentioned it being an issue previously. Did they fix it?

hordeling
Whiteshield

Postby hordeling » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:35 am

The game is still a little odd, they restricted movement more in the new edition, but with the movements being so slow and the ranges being so large, they front loaded most of the game into deployment. Still pretty fun way to soak up an afternoon with the right opponent, but some games are won and lost before the first die roll. You really have to match up well with the person across from you to avoid seriously one sided fights. It has it's flaws, mainly the rulebook organization, but it is one of the few accessible games left where every inch maters, so if you have someone on the same level and want a tense brain burner of a wargame, its worth the cost of entry even if you only ever play 10ish games. I might be biased due to my love of train boats, though. Also, you roll so many dice things are less random, but when the odds go in a strange direction, they go really far in that direction, like boats teleporting into other boats and nuclear scale detonations.
Why hasn't anyone invented good rocket skates yet?

Return to “Dystopian Wars”