Steve's TOMG Thread

thade
Veteran

Steve's TOMG Thread

Postby thade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:28 am

Hopefully this isn't too weird, what me being some oddball retired club member. I am, however, in some weird painting frenzy and I am loving it. And, honestly, I don't want to wait til the end of the month to show off how most of my pledges are done on week two. @_@

What I should do is learn how to take competent pictures of these models. Instead, I'll probably just continue painting (and frothing at the mouth).

First, my Chief Apothecary.
ImageImageImage

This guy is my first Apothecary, my first apothecary in TDA, my first experience with green stuff, and my first time painting a "powered on" power weapon. Credit goes to Gaghiel/Jeremy for showing me how to do it. The white doesn't look that chunky in person (at all) and the tabard is more shaded in real life. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Two more apothecaries! One normal one and one that could be a counts-as Corbulo with that nasty looking chainsword (though he's got the gene seed mutation because my boys are Salamanders successors).
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

The jump pack guy is still WIP.

This guy I started a while ago and got the urge to finish...he's a captain. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Yes, he's from the Space Hulk set. Yes, I scraped and concealed every trace of Blood Angels iconography off him. Yes, it's a bit ironic. The last photo didn't come out, but it's a red shield mounted to the back of his lighting claw.

He's actually not quite done...as you can tell he's a bit BRIGHT and I am considering toning that down a bit; in the very least, washing the edges of the armor to darken it up.

I also painted a Knight of the Flame to lead my original metal grey knights (yes this one is also metal) as Purifiers in tomorrow's EvilDice40k Team Recon. (Again, the white is not nearly that chunky in real life; I fail at photoz.)
ImageImageImageImage

I like him. :) Even if I'll probably seldom-to-never field Purifiers in an actual GK list.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: Steve's TOMG Thread

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:23 am

Looks good Steve. The white on all of them came out really well. It's tough to paint white smoothly, but you did it very well.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

thade
Veteran

Postby thade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks, Kev. Was a bit of a pain. Base-coated with white krylon primer...very thin coats, with an hour or so between each to dry. I went so far as to use a baby toothbrush to get the lil' chunkies off that would gather which each coat. Finally I washed them each with watered down Skull White. It took time, heh.
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Nothing is better when you get the painting bug, and it shows in your work! I hate when that painting bug goes away though....
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 am

The stuff looks good Steve, looking forward to seeing it in person at the next tournament.

I agree with Dez. When you have that bug, ride it. I was able to paint almost all the goblins in my Gobbo army between Jan and April. Over 100 of the buggers. Now I just can't bring myself to pick up a brush. It happens. I imagine by Sept or October I'll be back into it.

~J

Return to “TOMG 2011”