Whytwolf's ToMG log

whytwolf
Lord General

Whytwolf's ToMG log

Postby whytwolf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Sitting upon his stone plinth Logan Grimnar declared, “It is time to bring forth a new company to our ranks”. A hush fell over the assembly in anticipation of who would be honored with the ascension to Wolf Lord and leader of the new Great Company.

Surrounded by twelve Wolf Lords, each representing twelve great companies of the Sixth Legion, the thirteenth represented by a pelt draped over crossed swords, Logan Grimnar brought the assembled conclave of Lords and Wolf Guard Battle Leaders to order. “We have mourned the loss of our brothers of the Thirteenth Company for too long. It has been decided that our Chapter will return to full strength.”

A murmur of dissent filled the chamber as some voiced their displeasure at the thought of sullying the memory of the fallen Thirteenth by replacing them with a new Great Company.

As if anticipating the backlash, Grimnar raised his hands to the crowd. “SILENCE!” he howled bring the assembly back within his control. “In the hopes that one day they may yet return to us, we are not replacing the Thirteenth Company. In deference to memory of our lost brothers, this new company will not be added to annulus, but will have its banner hung in this very meeting hall alongside those of its brother companies. “

From a darkened corner of the room stepped a wolf priest, clad in rune adorned ceremonial leathers and fur. Raising his rune encrusted staff the Rune Priest spoke: “Step forward Brygran Longbeard and be recognized. It is you who we honor today! Your exploits are legendary. The tally of Xenos filth and traitors to the All Father who have fallen to you blade is as long as any Fenrisian winter, you are a leader of men, an honorable warrior. You are by your peers and the warriors you lead. It is for this that granted the rank of Wolf Lord and will lead a Great Company in Battle!”

A deafening cacophony of cheers and howls filled the great hall as Longbeard approached the dais and his liege lord Logan Grimnar. As he closed to within steps of Grimnar’s snarling visage, one of the assembled Twelve Wolf Lords, Ragnar Blackmane, stepped down to block his path.

“Halt!” snarled the Wolf Lord. “That rag you wear does not befit a warrior of your status” he jested. With a swipe of a claw, the Wolf Lord shredded the binding tying Longbeard’s ceremonial pelt to his power armor, falling to the ground with a hush of fur.

As if on cue, Logan Grimar descended from his stone throne with an ornate cloak of wolf fur which he, with the barest of nods, draped across Longbeard’s shoulders, thus sealing his ascension to the rank of Wolf Lord.

With a glance from the Great Wolf, the Rune Priest one again addressed the assembly and spoke in a loud commanding voice: “From now and for all times, the Fourteenth Company will be recognized as a Great Company of the Space Wolves!”

The conclave was brought to an end with one final oath, “Seyla”.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Whytwolf's ToMG log

Postby whytwolf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm

My ToMG log will feature the work I am doing to get my Space Wolf army fully painted; but it will be interspersed with work on my Chaos Marines and Warriors of Chaos fantasy army.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Whytwolf's ToMG log - 5 Grey Hunter's - Stage 1

Postby whytwolf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Some overdue pictures of my work to date.

I am working on 5 Grey Hunter (Tactical Marines). The guy with the empty hands will be carrying a Plasma Gun, which is elsewhere with servitors being prepared to be painted.

The first phase of my Stage 1 in painting is priming the models black. When the weather is good I use Army Builder black primer. It is a little more expensive than the others but I have gotten good results with it. If the weather is bad for spray painting, I use Reaper's black brush on primer that I have to special order.

The second phase of Stage 1: is a rough base coat of the primary color, which in this case in a custom color that I mix up to as close as I can, match the blue in the codex. It is a mix of 50% Codex Grey and 50% Shadow Grey. I will also paint the right shoulder pad the color that fits the unit type (Grey Hunters are red, Blood Claws are yellow, etc.), leaving the left pad the base color.

If I am feeling ambitious I will also paint the bolters and chainswords with Bolfgun Metal. In this picture I have also gone ahead and painted the base flesh colors

Stay tuned for Stage 2: Base details.

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Whytwolf's ToMG log - 5 Grey Hunter's - Stage 2

Postby whytwolf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Stage 2 is where I start to add details.

As you can see in the picture below, I have painted all of the gold trimming, including wolf heads, runes, rings that connect the various trinkets to their armor, and some skulls. I use Dwark Bronze as a base, and then Burnished Gold over it. I also completely paint the bolters, pouches (just noticed I missed one :oops: ), grenades, and combat knives.

For the 'bone' pieces like wolf teeth, skulls etc., I base paint Graveyard Earth (covers better) and then will paint bleach bone over it with a Devlan Mud wash in stage 4. I also go through an paint all the joints behind the knees and crooks of arms etc with black to represent the soft joints in the armor.

It is here that I also paint a base of Charcoal Grey over all the pelts and tails that will be drybrushed in the final stages. Stone runes get a coat of Codex grey as well. I also finish any metal details that will get washed over in the next stage.

For the precise detail work, I afix the model to the bottom of some old prescription bottles with poster tac, this keeps me from smudging my work with my fingers and I can turn the models easily without dropping or touching them.

Coming up: Stage 3 - Washing.

Lakomasoi
Whiteshield

Postby Lakomasoi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

I like how those are coming out. Are you thinking of shading the grey areas of the armor? I couldn't really tell what your plan was with that

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks! The next step is to do a heavy wash with a floorwax/water/black ink concoction, then go over the flat areas of the armor with the base color, leaving the black ink aound the raised edges and in the crevases to bring out the little details.

I paint over the flat areas because the look too "dirty" after the wash. I washed them earlier and was waiting for them to dry. I will be posting more pictures of my progress.

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Stage 3: The wash

I use a modified "magic wash" solution that I found on the web. It is a future floorwax/water combination. I make the wash a 15 drops of MagicWash to 1 drop of black ink ratio.

The wash is dark enought to highlight the panel lines and without being too crazy.

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Final detail painting, flesh, eyes, hair decals, basing sealed...DONE!

The model up front with the two-tone skin has the Mark of the Wulfen.

Enjoy!

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Used these guys in a battle last night! :D

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Awesome! I didn't get to comment on these, I saw the post via my phone and Apple Spellcheck makes me want to choke a Jim. They look lovely, taking your pictures in a light booth as well as using terrain really adds to it. The black lining around the brass parts looks great. My one nitpick is the plasma blends right into the armor. It would really pop if you used something like green or orange. Silly, but that's all the critique I have ;)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Return to “TOMG 2011”