How important are psykers?

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

How important are psykers?

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Looking at making a list and I have 200-300 points to play with so my thought is to either run a flying demon prince, a cheap khorne demon prince, or Ahriman. Psykers don't really seem as crucial as say a wizard in fantasy, but are they worth taking to offer some defense against enemy psykers?
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

WildBorr
Veteran

Re: How important are psykers?

Postby WildBorr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 pm

Personally, I think psykers are a little underrated. I firmly believe you should always use at least 1 psyker. If your opponent doesn't use a psyker, then that's a phase that you now own and can cause some damage unimpeded. If they do, now you have a defense against their psyker.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Wings and the Black Mace. 2+ jink cover saves and makes troops explode due to T saves.

Imo you don't need psykers.
Last edited by Dez on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

ArDeZe
Whiteshield

Postby ArDeZe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:46 pm

While it may be nice to have at least one Psyker, often times the trade off isn't worth the lowered combat skills. My main gripe with psychic powers is that they're completely random (save for Primaries). You have to invest a decent amount of points before you have a somewhat statistically sound chance of getting a decent power. That being said, Chaos does have some fun powers, and when they do work, they seem to work really well. However, in this current edition, the Psychic phase is dominated largely by GKs, Eldar and Chaos Daemons.

In terms of Psychic defense, if you're facing an army like GKs, you'll have next to no chance of stopping all of their powers, no matter how many Psykers you take. You're much better off trying to kill them before they can cast off a lot of their powers. GKs are OP in the psychic department, though they're still only power armored marines...

If your opponent is toting a single psyker, then you can probably ignore them.

Typically, the only Psyker I run is Be'Lakor due to the fact that you know what powers he's getting (All telepathy <333), however, that comes with a hefty price tag of 350 points.

Overall, if you're building a fun list, then a Psyker can be enjoyable to run. Competitively speaking, I haven't found a good use for them though. Even when you do get good powers, it's easy to blow yourself up with Perils of the Warp (which you get no saves for).

For the three models you're considering, I would say FLYING demon prince all the way (never take a walking prince). You could make him a psyker, but his price tag starts high without any upgrades. Either Nurgle or Tzeentch for his mark. Throw on a burning brand, black mace or MURDER sword and send him trolling around the board. Due take note that Daemon Princes are always targeted first, and saves only take you so far, so expect him to be gone asap. Consider holding him back, or even reserve him.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks for the info guys.
Wyrd Henchman

Corwin
Veteran

Postby Corwin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:16 am

I really like them with my guard. I usually bring 3 level 2 all with div or sometimes bio and hope for endurance. With div I can make things twin linked witch for the amount of shots I have helps alot.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 pm

It really is looking like a single psyker doesn't do a whole lot for defense against other psykers, and while some of the powers are good you don't really miss out as much as I would have expected. Winged demon prince it is.
Wyrd Henchman

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Basically, if you're only going to include one psyker, be sure he's the best in your army. Tigirius, Ahriman, Eldrad, Librarian Grey Knight, Greater Daemon of Tzeentch--all are really solid, powerful choices for a lone psyker. If you're going for more than one, try and get one solid psyker and a bunch of cheap-o grunts to give you more warp dice.

Pulling off psychic powers is much harder now, but resisting them is even moreso; I found that I didn't really need a psyker against the game on Saturday, simply because my opponent couldn't successfully cast half his powers due to bad dice rolls. They aren't essential components of most armies, and I daresay excluding them makes the game run faster since you're skipping an entire phase. YMMV of course.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”