So kinda happy surprise

Lord Padriac
Recruit

So kinda happy surprise

Postby Lord Padriac » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:13 pm

I happened to be in Northampton the other day and stopped into Modern Myths for a geek fix. Decided that I wanted to start both my Dwarf army and the Chaos marines I had been looking at. By luck they had a battleforce box of Chaos Space Marines in stock. Except it wasn't the one Games Worksop is selling on their website now with the three bikers. It was the better one with 15 Chaos Space Marines, 5 Possessed, 8 Khorne Berserkers and the Rhino that can be built as a Rhino or Land Raider.

I think I will be building the Land Raider rather than the Rhino it will still tote 10 troops around and provide some heavy support I can't afford to add to add in additional models for a while. My only concern is how to build out the marine models as regards weapons. I'm kinda thinking of sort of jack of all trades marines. I can build more specialized marines later once I've gotten some experience actually playing. Any thoughts?

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: So kinda happy surprise

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Rhino or Land Raider? I think you're mistaken, those are two very different kits. It may be a Rhino or Razorback. Razorbacks hold 6 troops, but are more heavily armed, and can provide fire support.

You may want to check before you decide, you don't want to get stuck. Post pictures of the sprues and we can tell you.

~J

Lord Padriac
Recruit

Postby Lord Padriac » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm

You're right, my bad. I was posting quick and inserted the name of last thing I was looking at in my new codex without checking the box and it's various instructions. It's a Rhino or a Predator it will build.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

It's cool man, I didn't want you to show up at the game store and find out the hard way. That's never fun for anyone.

~J

Lord Padriac
Recruit

Postby Lord Padriac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 am

I think I'm still going to build the Predator instead of the Rhino. It'll give me more types of units to learn the rules with and still be a good unit later on...and the gargoyle headed guns look really cool. I can pick up a separate Rhino probably next month anyway. I am also going to build out the marines as a single squad of 15 for sort of general purpose. All modeled with the additional CCW, one with a Meltagun, one with a missile launcher, the champion will be modeled with an autocannon and a power sword. The unit will get the Mark of Slaanesh and the Icon of Excess.The Beserker models will all get chain axes.

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Postby Xelloss » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm

A few well placed magnets would mean that you could switch from a rhino to predator and back again with ease.

I think the champion is the one guy in the squad who can't use a heavy/ special weapon, but I dont have the book in front of me to be sure. If anything champions typically get a close combat weapon o some kind. The 2 "real" choices are a sword for initiative or an axe for its str and ap. of course, giving him nothing is cheap so do what you will.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

orkwarboss
Storm Trooper

Postby orkwarboss » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Xelloss wrote:A few well placed magnets would mean that you could switch from a rhino to predator and back again with ease.

Yes. Do this.
Lion El’ Johnson – This one is an oldie but a goodie. Turns out he was a poet from the Victorian era who wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Angel’. He also was rumored to have quite the secret for those times.

Commander_Jay wrote:On the plus side, some of the rules and attacks are hilarious. My Gyrocopter can tilt its rotors and cut through people like a homicidal kitchen blender.

Lord Padriac
Recruit

Postby Lord Padriac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the replies and help thus far.

All I can find about the champion in the troop listing is that he "may take items from the Melee and/or Ranged wargear lists". No other limitation is mentioned. The plural on items is from the codex. So unless there’s something in the errata online (can’t check right now) the champion can take both. If I’m wrong it’d be great if someone could explain why and where the pertinent information may be found in the rules/codex. I don’t mean strategically why you wouldn’t take both but if there is some nuance to the rules this lowly newbie is missing I’d really appreciate knowing before I model it hideously wrong.

On the Rhino/Predator thing would you just magnetize the turret and side guns or would you need to do the spikey decorative bits as well? And should the turret gunner be magnetized or is he just for show and doesn’t really matter in game anyway? I’ve seen pics with him on both vehicles but I don’t think I’ve found any specific rule about him so he seems like the spikey bits - basically just decorative.

Lord Padriac
Recruit

Postby Lord Padriac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Forget the bits about tips on magnetizing the rhino/predator, I appreciate the suggestion but it's not worth it as far as I can see. I'm going with my original thought and just purchasing another tank or two. Looking quick online it is soo not worth my investment in time and extra parts I'd have to buy to bother magnetizing. In fact considering the cost of the magnets needed and the additional green stuff and I'm already only about $15 bucks shy of the Rhino cost anyway. Add in the amount of time and work (not to mention cussing) needed - I come out way ahead by just building the Predator and buying a separate Rhino model.

I must admit the idea was tempting and it isn't the first time I've heard of it; but I can't see any reason it would be worth it to swap between the two vehicles when after considering the cost of materials I would rather just pay myself the extra $15 by buying the second kit and have two solid models and spend the time assembling and painting rather than modding.

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:22 pm

We often do it, because it saves time, money, space, and effort. But mostly fun.

In general, magnetizing is much cheaper. A lot of magnets might be $15, and you'll also need a drill and some glue. But you only need two magnets for each part (or a few if you're using small magnets on a large part). So you can modify many models with one purchase of magnets.

Then, you don't have to buy, assemble, or paint another model. The magnetizing time is tiny compared to a full assembly and paint job.

It also saves a lot of space. I have 1 War Walker, with 8 magnetized weapons, which takes the place of all 16 weapon combinations. It's great fun to be able to choose any of the 16 combinations when making an army. And much better than buying and building 16 walkers.

Plus, we often have the extra guns and such that are needed, so it can be a good project when you have some extra time.

In the long run, you could turn your 3 tanks into 6. Or more, depending on the options.

If you're curious, you could set up a time to see how it's done.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”