Hardened Vet

Black Legion up for pre-order

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 am

Bring me your finest coffee!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Re: Black Legion up for pre-order

Postby Kinne » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 am

I still find it so weird that Black Legion is their first CSM supplement. Aren't they the generic, vanilla, Ultramarines of the CSM forces, and thus be the exact army represented by the vanilla CSM 'dex?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 am

I think the idea here is that they are going to give out a bunch of Legion specific special characters, and a ton of background. The supplemental codexes aren't all about rules, they are mostly about Background. It seems like the main books are going to have as much generic background as possible, and each individual style of army, legion, chapter, craft world, etc is going to have a book with it's specific background.

But I wondered the same thing. Weren't World Eaters the most popular CSM Legion? Why Black Legion first?

~J

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 am

Black Legion, despite having a prominent role in the Black Crusades and the fluff, is one of the most ill-defined of the CSM factions. There's very little we know, and most of it relates to the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus pre-and-mid Heresy. We know more about Abaddon than we know about his Crusades, despite there being 13 of them.

Rules-wise, I don't expect much--maybe Terminators as troops, or some new special characters ala Farsight Enclave. It's mostly a fluff book, as J said, and I'm hoping it'll actually give some depth to what is normally a mustache-twirling faction. This is likely a test-bed for other Legion books, since there's still rumors floating around of supplements for the Big 4 coming out later. It's something 'safe' for the designers to play around with, since there's very little precedence for an all Black Legion force.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 am

From what I understand, they start with the ones that need the least rules changes first.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 pm

It would be nice to see the fleshed out a bit more than being the generic CSM. I'm assuming it will be chosen as troops and not termies, but termies would be pretty awesome.

I am hopeful that it is not an abbadon codex, and sadly no new model for him.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah, the Abaddon model is a bit. . .dated. It's still not bad by any stretch, but a new one would be nice.

Did the Farsight or Iyanden books come with any new models, or just new rules?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Farsight and Iyanden came out with the codexes, so it's hard to say. They didn't have specific models for those codexes.

~J

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”