First impressions

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

First impressions

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Damn Phil Kelly wants everything to be more points.
I'm not talking a couple of points here or there. A demon prince geared up the same way as the previous book now costs 70 more points. But for those 70 points you gain +2 ws, +3I and an attack. Certainly not worth the points jump, but marines needing 5s to hit in cc is nice. Also the defiler jumped about 40 points.
All in all it is a pretty nice book, but other then the points changes, and a couple new units most things stayed the same.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: First impressions

Postby Dez » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I found that besides those two it seemed to be a points reduction. Tale a look at Noise Marines, Lords, Sorcerer, CSM...pretty nice IMO.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Marines are +1 point to be where they were last addition with the gain of hatred SM.

Obliterations did keep power fist which is nice. Predators are cheaper. No chaos lord with mark of Tzeentch (although from memory don't know if that is a change). Sorcerers don't see to have the same stats, and a drop in BS makes their powers less effective.
Thousand sons sorceress are cheaper, and lots of options for most units is good.

No summoned demons, is strongly making my list for the upcoming tournament a last hurrah of stuff that won't be used again.
Wyrd Henchman

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Postby Xelloss » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 pm

A lot of things went up in price, but not everything. I will miss having both cult units as troops plus dual prince's, but that's life. Flakk missiles don't look like their going to be worth it (you'll be paying a hundred points for 4 missiles with the things, on top of the unit cost) and they still don't have a split fire option. Has anyone noticed the sheer size of the fiends? Their the size of defilers, but only have 3 hull points.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Inquisitor Wall wrote:Marines are +1 point to be where they were last addition with the gain of hatred SM.

10 CSM with bolter, bolt pistol, CCW, and champion in 4th ed. book: 165
10 CSM with bolter, bolt pistol, CCW, and champion in 6th ed. book: 160

This is without VotL, however, but even still there's a 5pt reduction overall. The kicker is that there's just so much more to add to a CSM squad now, letting you tool around with them however you please. It almost feels like the 3.5 'dex again.

One thing that I think people are just now noticing, and will probably cause a bit of rage, is Chaos Terminators. You can only swap one of their weapons--the bolter OR the power weapon, not both. The only exception is the heavy weapon termie. So, no more combi-melta/PF termies.

Xelloss wrote:Has anyone noticed the sheer size of the fiends? Their the size of defilers, but only have 3 hull points.

3 hull points, but they have Daemon (5+ save) and It Will Not Die (regains a hull point on a 5+ at the end of owning players turn) so they've got some life in them. Plus, they're cheaper than the way-too-expensive Defiler now, which should surprise exactly no one.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:41 pm

They also have Demonic Possession if I recall, making them pretty darn tough.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:22 pm

You can't really skip the veterans upgrade for the marines as the +1 ld is pretty major. And it gets them to the same stats as the previous book.

The defiler also has it will not die and 4hp and 5+ save. Makes it more survivable as well.

I'm really looking at spawn as being pretty good. 150 points for 5 gives you 15 wounds as T5 and are pretty fast being beasts. Once in combat they have some pretty good upgrades and have rage.

Yeah terminators don't really seem too impressive at all. I still can't believe gw refuses to make termies ws5
Wyrd Henchman

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Inquisitor Wall wrote:I'm really looking at spawn as being pretty good. 150 points for 5 gives you 15 wounds as T5 and are pretty fast being beasts. Once in combat they have some pretty good upgrades and have rage.

They're easily at their best with Mark of Nurgle. T6 W3 means they're not getting ID'd by conventional means, ensuring they'll have a better chance of survival to actually get to the enemy line. I'm thinking of taking two squads myself, to act as meatshields for more important things.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”