Some Chaos Legions rumors

Dez
Storm Trooper

Some Chaos Legions rumors

Postby Dez » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm excitable. I'm very aware of it, and my army ADD. But this, this is going to be the next best thing since the release of the Ork codex so long ago. Chaos was my first army pick, I still have the first models I ever assembled and painted. Long before i ever found anyone to play with, by that time I had already switched gears and played Orks for the conversions.

So Chaos looks to be getting 2 new Codex: Legions and Renegades. I will be amped for Legions myself. The first army I ever had interest in starting were the Night Lords, until I saw the helmets. Too silly for me, and before I had ever heard of conversions. When I did finally learn of conversions and googled it, I found Orks and got lost. I'm going to try and get back on the path again, and lovingly convert up a Night Lords army. This means all my other stuff will go to the wayside as I build and paint one figure at a time. Might take a while, but whatever. I'm not going anywhere, all I've been doing is modeling (and recently playing Skyrim).

I also have a huge all FW Nurgle army that I've never been able to find a proper paint scheme for that made me happy. They can sit in their box for a while longer :)

So, here are the rumors I've found thus far for those interested directly taken from Dakka Dakka courtesy of kroothawk.

I've seen threads on the topic on Warseer and Heresy Online, but haven't seen it mentioned on Dakka yet (apologies if this has already been covered)

Original Warseer thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5893366#post5893366

Heresy Online thread: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101010

Courtesy to Ghost21 on Warseer

Compiled by by MaidenManiac on Heresy Online:

-i really really shouldnt but, ive only seen a dreadnaught of the two mentioned (regarding a previous report of new plastic Chaos Dread and Raptors)

-To quickly add. will lesser chaos gods feture. yes n all of the fallen legions will be there

-saw preliminary types for khonate chrono gladiators... and a really bizarre night lord assassin type thing...

-oh im sure if people want a new abaddon.. i saw one but really it isnt much...

-little horus on the other hand... now there's a wow figure

-there was a little heated discussion weather alpha legion should be in this or the traitors dex... there in the legion dex

-the new abaddon as really it just seems bigger n bulkier, like somebody 3d scanned it n made him larger

-the minor chaos gods are already named, its like marks though, no daemons

-i did see a dark mechanicus guy... not sure if he will make it though, a very creepy sculpt based on a john Blanche piece

-this is really something to be taken with a grain of salt there may may be a 30k boxed set at some point, containing one of each of the legions
characters

And make of this what you will:

-oh one last thing its ward

However, there is a conflicting (and perhaps more reliable) rumour on BnC:

[quote=Castiel]About Matt Ward... I don't think he's involved. Why?

Read this:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/inde ... pic=239188

Hello all, I just thought I’d share my sort-of discussions regarding a future Chaos Codex with two members of the development team at yesterday’s Games Day ‘event’.

Basically, I spoke to Jervis Johnson (head designer, apparently) and Matt Ward (yeah, I know, I know…). Now, I could have ranted at them with four years of hatred towards our lack-lustre Codex, but I thought it would be more productive (and less antagonistic) if I approached them with a friendly smile (well, what pass as one from me ) and my own personal thoughts/desires on our next Codex.

In a nutshell, more options regarding things like vehicles, specifically variants of Rhinos and Land Raiders – I said that the reasons for restricting the loyalist Marines with what they can do to theirs don’t apply to Chaos (we don’t have angry Tech Priests after us), so if we want to, say, put Assault Ramps on our Rhinos, there’s no one to stop us!

I also tried to get across that Chaos Marine armies (whether you go for Renegades or Legions) can broadly fit in to two approaches which could shape the development of this Codex – firstly the ‘Black Crusade’, which is about throwing the full force of what your army/legion does best till you opponent has nothing standing (I guess this could include your World Eaters Berzerker assault force, or an Iron Warriors siege force, or the relentless march of the Death Guard). The second approach is the Cultist/Ambush/Terror approach – the one where you don’t have the resources for a full scale invasion, but you’ve already sent your agents (be they infiltrating Marines or Cultists) to defeat your enemy before they’ve even realised they’re at war – assassinating commanders, sabotaging and destroying tanks, that sort of thing (obviously, this is your Night Lords, Alpha Legion, perhaps Word Bearers army). Either way, whichever approach should still allow themed, or Legion based lists, if that’s what Chaos players wanted

In my conversations with both Jervis and Matt, I started off saying that I’d like to see Special Characters that add army wide abilities, which got very strong nods of understanding from both of them. The problem I immediately hit was that they both pretty much said that they’re not going to be involved with the development of Chaos Marines; Jervis said that he would pass on my comments thought (whether he does is another thing!).

You may find Matt Ward’s response more interesting: he basically said blatantly that he was not going to be working on Chaos. Yes, that’s right, you can all breathe a sigh of relief! Then, more interestingly, he looked around for the other member of the team at Games Day, who was absent every time I went to the developers’ area, but would have liked to speak to – a certain Mr Phil Kelly. Now, (cue wild speculation) judging by this, I got the strong impression that Phil Kelly is likely to be involved in the development – perhaps even writing it?

That was the only serious nugget that I found of comfort from Jervis or Matt Ward to be honest. They both talked about there being a lot of potential with Chaos Marines that a future codex could build upon. Matt Ward went further, basically saying in so many words that he realised the Chaos codex is disliked and that it didn’t really achieve what the later, more recent Codices have. He also said that the Codices from Space Wolves onwards should give more of the shape of a Chaos Marine Codex, in terms of increased amount of options. Hopefully, like some Codices, that means under-priced/over powered (delete as appropriate ) units like these other ones, too He also said about the current Chaos Codex that it offers a good basis from which to start developing a new one. Not sure I agree with him, but I’m hoping he means that it is something that can be expanded and improved upon, rather than just recycling it…

So, I had gone to Games Day with the intention of getting in to a really intense discussion about giving Chaos a codex of which it is worthy. I think I didn’t really speak to the right people for that (if only I’d have been able to find Phil Kelly!), so I think ultimately I got some insubstantial platitudes. I was heartened that a) Matt Ward won’t be writing the next Chaos Codex, and b ) there was the suggestion that Phil Kelly is at the very least going to be involved in the development of our next codex.

Some more tidbits by Ghost21:

To quickly add. will lesser chaos gods feture. yes
n all of the fallen legions will be there

On the 6th edition starter set:

if you want plastic plague bearers .. wait for the 6th ed starter

[quote=mrtn]
Thank you for this rumour! Now that should mean that they are either summonable for a CSM army, or that there will be chaos daemons in the starter set. In that case I assume they will have to rewrite the list extensively, I can't see a starter army where one player doesn't even deploy on the table...

or have the scenario on some kind of daemon infested world.... [/quote]

It was also mentioned somewhere in the Warseer thread that apparently Chaos Renegades will get a White Dwarf update but will have full codex later, focusing more on Traitor Guard/LaTD than Marines.

On the Release Schedule

There is also a rumoured release schedule stating that Tau will be the next codex, before Chaos egions in mid 2012, found here: http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/10/chaos-legions-codex-set-to-arrive.html

Just to set this next rumor up, the current rumor mill places next years releases like this....
Tau Q1, probably after Vampire Counts in January
Chaos Legions Mid Year
Eldar Towards the end of the year.

I sometimes get rumors sent to me, and this is one of them. I removed the sources name, and how and who the information was recieved from. Even the rumor declares taking it with a lot of salt, so please do so.

Also...

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/10/chaos-legions-codex-set-to-arrive.html
I had a chance to get information straight from a codex designer.
Chaos legions will be out in January or February dependant on necron sales, however it will probably be January. I don't know whether he was messing with me or not, so read and apply a lot of salt. He was straight with me about necrons being released in November. Chaos Legions are being taken back to their roots from the Horus Heresy, and it was a bit late due to the re-design of the fluff to fit in with 6ed.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/10/codex-chaos-legions-and-chaos-renegades.html
Via Schell
Chaos seems to be coming out around the new 40k rule book, which is rumoured for release next summer.

I believe someone started a rumour a couple of months ago, cannot remember who, stating that chaos would be the first (hardback???) release for the new rulebook.

The starter set(s) are Chaos and Dark Angels; this was the original rumour; however, this was quickly trashed by saying that Dark Angels would NOT be in the starter set. Chaos does seem to be there though.

Apparently Imperial Guard renegade armies will be a part of the Chaos release.

Via Ghost21
the first thing i have to say is that there are 2 chaos books planed
one more renagade based the other legion based the legion one will be that, dudes who are 10000 years old kicking ass n taking names
there "may" be a inquisitor whos gone bad but really expect new guys in the renegade one
its lost and the damned influenced... but it has other options....
also 2012??...maybe at a push

Okay, time to end the what-ifs:

There will be 3 Chaos dexes as far as I'm aware: Legions, Renegades and Daemons

Now Daemons will appear in the Legion Codex but not those awful lesser things they are now. I'm not sure about greater daemons. However, if you are doing a Legion list, it's based on "Black legion(or the generic list)" or one of the others.

Legions:
Whats there ? Lots!
World Eaters with bolt guns you say? Yeah, they're there.
Expect very powerful characters here (they are 10 Milena old). My favorite is the overpowered red angel: Now he IS angry!

I'll do the others, if people wish.

Not that Red Angel, I'm talking about the floating chained up (and presumably daemon possessed) Red Angel from the Horus Heresy artwork.

There's a link to him here.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243850

thats the fella

I assume the Red Corsairs will figure prominently in the Renegade book? Will they try and give Renegade chapters more "codex/loyalist" gear?

Not exactly. As I understand, it's a LATD list first and foremost.
Traitor generals, guard, SOME marines, mutants, cults etc.
(...)
I shouldn't but....

Okay, true they have stagnated, but do you think they sit about drinking beer and catching rays?
No, they constantly fight, so I think they are sharp if not sharper than most Marines

Knowing what I know.. and I don't like angry marines because they are angry... but they've expanded beyond that khorne wants skulls true, he wants blood equally true, but the path of devotion doesnt make them all frothing loonies. Khan is an enigma, a one off, if they were all like him, well he'd be the last.

I have to say I'm excited for chaos, there is allot allot of inspiration from the 3.5 dex, with warsmiths, dark apostles and the alpha legion rules. Well, lets say they have a dual command structure

[quote
I know a lot of you have questions about individual units and legions. I'll try to address them all, however there are limits on how much I can get away with.

I'll say this: there are havoc's for marked legions.

Though each legion will get something unique to them, from force organization to individual units to HQs, for example Night Lords and World Eaters can only have 1 heavy support but get other boni.

Remember Huron has quite decent kit, so expect something like a 2nd ed list for him. Also, in some ways picking a legion will restrict you, there are a lot of chaos characters already in fluff so expect most to return ... plus a few new faces.
Who's the star of the show, huh? Now, that is something, I'll hold onto for a while.
[/quote][/quote]
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: Some Chaos Legions rumors

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 am

So...they're getting the guy who wrote Space Wolves, which a lot of people do count-as Chaos with, to pen the CSM book? Not gonna lie, that makes some solid sense there. His previous experience with the 3rd ed. book will probably go a long way towards making it not a bland hunk of crud.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:11 am

We can only hope!

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Robopope
Whiteshield

Postby Robopope » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Well this is exciting. Not just the Legions codex but the Renegadws codex as well. The Lost and the Damned have gone for too long without viable rules. This opinion may be influenced by my huge and useless mutant army, however! I am also glad to hear there might be plastic daemons in the starter set, and if it's true that the box will come with Space Marines and Chaos Marines then you could just combine them both to make a single large army.
In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide.
In an Age of Insanity, look to the Madman to show the way.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 pm

ghost21 wrote:
Basically, as I understand, if we want more than 1 havoc squad, they have to trade sth for it (so not limits on HS per sé)
As I understand, they can take khornate engines without restriction.
Sorry to cause confusiuon.
(...)
There are downsides to chaos units: Nurgle can't do sweeping advances (I think that's what they are called, and are stoic), Khorne has to engage in some kind of combat every turn or suffer a d6 result, Tzeentch (sp, ooooh I hate that word) are mindless automatons, who need a command figure or suffer a d6 result to guide their actions, and Slaanesh ... well let's say they have very harsh results.
(...)
As I've said, it will probably be the first or second 6th ed book, 6th ed is slated for july I think (but also I have bb then... so I dunno), so anything up to 4 months after that (and this is the Legions book, not the renegades).

theDarkGeneral wrote:
I'm glad ghost21 was able to confirm my early reply about Warsmiths and Dark Apostles, and World Eaters w/Bolters...

Here's more tidbits over a few shots of bourbon and some cigars...

*Chaos Dreads: No longer crazed or deranged, and new plastic (FINALLY) sprue to incorporate some new/old dreadnought close combat weapons types (chainfist, thunderhammer, power scourge, etc.)...but i'm more excited about being able to have Marked Dreads!!!

*Assault Berzerkers! Finally, Berzerkers with jump packs counting as Fast Attack!

*Slaughterfiends from Apoc will make their way into the Codex, along with versions for "Marked" type ones for other Legions.

*HQs making a return (lil' salt): Droomrider, Doombreed, Cypher , along with 5 newish guys.

*Unit size changes: Oblitz can come in up to 4, while most Daemon Engines can be 3 for 1...

*New Landraider: So we no longer have to suffer with just the old crumby one, has a higher capacity (15?) but is more of "warped" version of one of the Imperial versions.

*Force Org Chart: As ghost21 has alluded to, it won't change according to your Legion (HQs) as in swapping more Heavies for less Fast, but your access to units in those categories opens up, becomes limited, or closes off accordingly. Easy example I was given, is taking Khorne Daemon Prince means no Scouts...

(...)
I mean there is to be a "scout unit", but no associated with the World Eaters.

And as Brother Dimetrius has already mentioned, Cypher indeed was a Chaos model, and appeared in at least one of our previous Codexes. Could that mean a hint at Dark Angels around the bend? I think that'd be very cool, especially considering they are the FIRST Legion...

*Nightlords: I don't ask much about them, though a lil' i have for my buddy Paul has around 25,000+ points of them...Hit & Run and Stealth for universal special rules, but possible counter attack (for elite unit) as well as jump pack troops.

*Possessed: FINALLY getting some love, and according to Legion, they will have upgrades either already included or that you can pay for.

*Word Bearers: Apparently getting a lil' extra attention, and besides Dark Apostles, new models for "daemonancers", which just might be unit champs/sgt upgrades. I'm not sure. BUT, their summoning of Daemons from the Warp apparently allows re-rolls on the scatter dice, as well as new mishap chart!

*Deathguard: Feel no pain and blight grenades for their Cult Terminators, new nasty flamers upgrades.

*Thousand Sons: AP3 bolters will be MUCH more useful under 6th Edition, and a couple new Psychic abilities, one of which (supposedly) can remove an entire enemy squad from the table on a failed stat test!

*Iron Warriors: Access to Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield termies, thunderfire cannon off-shoot, Havocs w/Tank Hunters and relentless for some squad...

*Emperor's Children: Lash is finally changed to be more in line with Daemon version. More heavy weapons upgrade count for larger units. Better Bikes? Not sure what that means...

*Alpha Legion: Lots of infiltrating abilities, outflanking, and even temporary control of enemy squads/vehicles...basically sneaky bastards!

*Black Legion: HQs allow broader access to all unit types, but lack of better universal special rules.

(...)
To think their won't be drawbacks...wait, what are the drawbacks to playing Space Wolves or Grey Knights????....

I don't recall either ghost21 or myself mentioning any such thing...thus far just the wanted positives have been posted.

Rage? Modified by LD tests...which are/can be modified by characters and or enemy models within "X" vicinity.

Arrogance...newish rule (with a different name), which is almost like looking down upon a foe and not wishing to fight...or tactically fall back.

Target Armor Priority...how hard will it be for certain Havoc squads to NOT shoot the Devilfish behind the Crisis Battlesuites?

There WON'T be Force Org Chart slots exchanged for another...but access to units from Force Org Chart will be modified according to HQs...

ADB

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

theDarkgeneral wrote:
WHAT I'VE HEARD:

They're expanding the current story line greatly, and including much of the inner alliances, distrust and full fledged war within the 9 Traitor Legions. References to the Black Legion and their "arrogance" will help better paint the picture.

Models...interesting that a previous poster (i forget their name) mentioned Cult Terminator Shoulder pads...because i've recently been told that there is a NEWISH sprue to be released along with several boxed sets of Chaos Marines. The ability to build any Legion out of the basic NEW boxed set along with Legion specific sprue sets which are to include just heads and shoulder pads. I also hear that the Terminator version will also be available, but not sure if they'll come with power armor sprues. Suppose to be Direct Only.

I got a lil' more news on the upcoming Monstrous Creature...can have Marks of the Gods, but not all Legions can take it. Apparently Night Lords and the Alpha Legion prefer more subtle and stealthy approaches.

Death Guard gain a new ability (maybe Chosen squads only ?) that allows their poisoned attacks to ignore Armor Saves on a roll of a '6', much similar to Rending without the extra Armor Pen.

Daemonic Mounts actual are useful now! The undivided version will be "worth while" for the non-Marked Legions. Thousand Sons will be VERY pleased with their new found speed.

Iron Warriors become "siege specialists" which equivalents to Tank Hunters and reducing cover saves on enemy units!

Word Bearers are "zealots" and benefit from Chaplains as well as Turn 1 Daemon Summoning. New Daemonancers models are suppose to be SICK looking, but I believe just unit champ upgrades.

Emperor's Children have a haughtiness to them, but prideful, which may give them counter charge (on top of their already higher Initiative). More heavy weapons upgrades per squad, and their Chosen will be...scary fast!

Alpha Legion apparently have the greatest access to Imperial style vehicles, as well as more of an unlimited Force Org slot selections, next to the Black Legion. Much of their Army will be able to upgrade to "Infiltrators".

Black Legion, aka Sons of Horus, aka Luna Wolves are tentatively stubborn, and have greatest selection amongst the units/vehicles. HOWEVER, they're not fully trusted, not sure how this works out in game terms.

World Eaters truly become the combat monsters they're story lined to be. Marked Dreads, and Daemon Engines will be a prime staple in most Armies...

Rick Blaine wrote:
Models...interesting that a previous poster (i forget their name) mentioned Cult Terminator Shoulder pads...because i've recently been told that there is a NEWISH sprue to be released along with several boxed sets of Chaos Marines. The ability to build any Legion out of the basic NEW boxed set along with Legion specific sprue sets which are to include just heads and shoulder pads. I also hear that the Terminator version will also be available, but not sure if they'll come with power armor sprues. Suppose to be Direct Only.

This makes little sense and goes completely against the trend of the last few years. It does get suggested often enough on the forums by people making uneducated guesses, though.

theDarkGeneral wrote:
Rick Blaine: Yeah, i've read that here and there over the past 10+ years...and as mentioned by another member there were sighting of Termie Shoulder pad sprues a few years back at Games Day. I'm not stating this rumor as a guess, just what i've heard. But again, when a large project like this is undertaken, i'm sure it starts with 1,000+ ideas and filters down to 64. Either way, i't wouldn't affect me, or my Legion.
Any idea of a release window? Months? A year? Longer?

Originally it was slated for March release, which made me quite ecstatic cuz that's my BDay month! However, I could see it getting pushed back a few more months depending how the Holiday season goes for GW.
So Alpha Legion can almost choose whatever they like and still make a fluffy list? I like the sound of that.
I wonder if they'll be able to take infiltrating Havocs like in the 3.5 book

Think you've got the idea...imagine more vehicles being able to infiltrate as well????
Let me get this strait. 6th ed is going to see a reduction in cover saves across the board and Iron Warriors get to reduce cover saves some more? Oh how my SM tower of power friend is going to cry when his 3 autocannon dreads only get a 5+ cover save instead of his 3+ he gets now with his master of the forge.

It'll also affect things like the Grey Knights 2+ Cover Save silliness, models that have already been forced to ground, etc. Imagine Relentless Havocs and/or Chosen???
have you heard anything on the war gear load outs/options for any of the cult troops. are we looking at pretty much the same deal as we have now or will there be a few more options like the bezerkers with bolters. mainly will my plague marines get their plague knives back?

i believe the Plague Knives that you mention will be the new poisoned attacks, wounding on a 4+ regardless of toughness, rolls of a '6' ignore Armor Saves. Who gets them? Prob unit champs, and perhaps Chosen/Possessed.

ADB

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Erazmus_M_Wattle wrote:
Well all I can say is I heard this from one of my contacts at h.q. It was early days but he'd heard that they were doing a new Chaos Marine plastic kit that had blank pads with little slots in them in which legion icons would be glued. it's not exactly the same information to be fair but it's close.

I could see the plastics being black legion with blisters of finecast shoulder pads for the other legions. It was how alternative chapters/legions were represented in the past. The one thing that lends it credence is the fact that they could possibly put ninety pads in a box, i.e. ten for each legion. That'd be a bit excessive.

ADB

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”