They're here!

Snowflake
Whiteshield

They're here!

Postby Snowflake » Sat May 07, 2011 2:53 pm

And there's so much good stuff in it that I want to take it all. 10k points anyone?

Seriously, though, I really like that it seems most of the strategies you might want to do would be viable. The only one I think I'd never play would be a shooting army, because I'd probably just wish I were playing Empire, Dwarves, or some form of Elves.

I do think that the Ushabti are now overshadowed by the Necropolis Knights. Sure, Ushabti have 3x str 6 with the great weapons, but Necro Knights have 3x str 5 poison, 2x str 4 killing blow, and benefit immensely from Incantation of Righteous Smiting, since both rider and mount get the +1 attack. 3+ armor save is important as well.

I don't think I'll take either flavor of Sphinx though. This is no small part due to the model being so awesome, I know that I would simply never finish it due to obsessing over every detail. Probably going to start off with an infantry base supported with some Necro Knights and casters (casket + heirotitan gives some serious oomph).

Sad about some models though. I can't use my existing Tomb Guard if I want to give them Halberds, which I think I do. No model for the Heirotitan, and no models for most of the heroes.

I know I had talked to one or two others at the store who were planning on playing the new codex. Thoughts about style?

Galaan
Whiteshield

Re: They're here!

Postby Galaan » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

halberds are kind of hit or miss. I think about it, and a unit with killing blow is really hoping for sixes, and its main purpose is to crack armor. Halberds do go a long way if your going to use them to mow through light infantry, but then again there are tons of things in the army that already do that (catapults, arrows, casket, warsphinx, chariot charges, death magic if you take it.) you should focus on their true purpose in the army, anti cavalry and fighting the well armored elite in the opponents army. I think when i get them I'm going to give them a sword and board for the extra protection and ward save.

though, if you plan on rolling the +5 ward save from the lore of Neh. halberd might be an option, IMHO I'll be giving them shields and the spell that makes them killing blow on a 5 or 6.

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Sun May 08, 2011 11:12 am

Chariots, and stalkers, all purpose almost every phase useful.

Chariots- Each crew member has two attacks, with spears making them str. 4 (or five I can't remember) add in the horses and thats 18 attacks from your basic unit after impact hits, give them the plus one attack bonus and now its thirty attacks. Thats just scary coming from three models. I'd also like to add you can put a prince in this unit to make them WS 5. Make them 7 models three wide so you have the extra one to give yourself a rank to get into combat, now their impact hits are Str. 5 They can potentially wipe units from the board in one turn if not make them flee after massive casualties.

Onto shooting now they can't dish out a lot of shots but every little bit helps and since they are some of the faster movers in the army they could really help with picking smaller units off or even putting a wound or two on some war machines. Again give them a spell and their effectiveness increases tremendously. you went from 14 shots from the above mentioned unit to 28 shots that are always hitting on fives.

Stalkers- Now these guys have had a hard life so far on the internet. Many people see them as over costed and under effective. However look at other units that would be taken in place of them. As war machine hunters they are competing with Swarms which cost much less and have more wounds/ Attacks, Carrion which start on the board.

They have been said not to have a definite role and I think this is where their Str. really is. With swarms if your opponent doesn't take any WM then you have the choice to suicide run them or to have them hide out so you dont sacrifice VP. But with the stalkers shooting attacks they can always follow units picking them off slowly and stay out of relative trouble.

I really see Chariots dominating the TK field because they really have the potential to be effective in every phase and thats how a unit should be judge.

Snowflake
Whiteshield

Postby Snowflake » Sun May 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm with you on the Chariots. It didn't click in my head until last night that they do not have the Light Chariots rule anymore, which will make them a little harder to maneuver, but D6 impact hits instead of the old D3. That's huge, and I'll certainly be including a unit of 6 or more. Whether I replace the base Skeleton Warriors entirely is a question for the ages, but the Chariots are certainly really awesome now.

I agree about the halberds on Tomb Guard, and am honestly still on the fence in terms of that. Really when you get right down to it, it's because have never valued a 6+ save, even a ward save, and extra strength really goes a long way. The Killing Blow is nice, certainly, but even on a 5+ with the spell that's not really that many blows you'll be landing. I agree that they will be more anti-armored, and I think the Str 5 will help them get some extra kills in beyond the Killing Blows. This is particularly true given that armored units tend to have higher Str anyway, so it's not like the shield would be giving me anything other than the 6+ ward save and maybe a 6+ armor save sometimes.

I don't really like the Stalkers at all. The gaze seems weak enough that it will almost never do any wounds, and they just seem all-around weak to me. However, since I'm not really up on how 8th edition plays out, I don't really know how much to value a buried unit for war-machine hunting. As with most of the rest of the army, I am positive that over time I'll be modifying the composition. For now, I'm just going with a base approach that is unlikely to result in me putting effort into models that will never get used, and then I can add more in if it becomes clear they can be useful. I just hope the Tomb Guard w/ Halberds aren't a mistake.

Speaking of, I know that Halberds are 2-handed, so they technically don't have shields, but the models in the pictures showed them with shields anyway. I really like the Tomb Guard shields, so is it OK with WYSIWYG to give them their shields, even if they don't use them? I'd assume so, I just have met people in the past that get way bent out of shape over silly stuff.

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Sun May 08, 2011 1:00 pm

That is allowed, although technically you'd have to pay the points for the shields too. And they could only use the Halberds in close combat.

Although personally I'd let you field them however you wish.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Snowflake
Whiteshield

Postby Snowflake » Sun May 08, 2011 1:27 pm

They come with shields for free.

I see, so they'd use the shields against ranged, then put them away in close combat and use the Halberds. I always forget that 2 handers only matter in close combat.

Galaan
Whiteshield

Postby Galaan » Sun May 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Honestly, when i get them ill be putting halberds on them, and just calling them hand weapons when i want to field hand weapons. they hold them one handed and they look like they could be long handled swords.

fitzy, im almost positive "my will be done" only applies to a tomb king/prince on foot, the rule doesn't work when hes on chariots.

Snowflake
Whiteshield

Postby Snowflake » Sun May 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Nope, the only thing it says is that it does not work on mounts or other characters, so the horses wouldn't get it. It would work on the charioteers.

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

MWBD does work while they are mounted it just does not pass to the Mounts or horses with the Chariots

Ninja'd thanks snowflake

Galaan
Whiteshield

Postby Galaan » Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 pm

awesome, good to know. thanks for the clarify

Return to “Tomb Kings”