The Sphynxs are broken IMO

Lakomasoi
Veteran

The Sphynxs are broken IMO

Postby Lakomasoi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:02 pm

The Khemrian Warsphinx is effectively an infantry masher. It is accompanied by four Tomb Guard riding in the Howdah, all of which have the Killing Blow Special Rule. The Warsphinx itself has four attacks at Strength 5, which is more than enough to splatter bits of lightly armoured troops all over the battlefield. However, it can exchange all its attacks for one Thundercrush Attack. As you've probably guessed, this will be very painful for the unlucky troops standing in front of the Warsphinx. If the attack hits, you get to place a small template over the unit, roll loads of dice to wound them all and then do a small celebratory ritual while your opponent takes off a couple of ranks of models. And then you can Thunderstomp them, just for good measure. Against infantry on a 20mm base you can potentially kill 31 models (that's 21 under the template, 6 from the Thunderstomp and four from the crew). Oh, I nearly forgot, it also causes Terror, just in case it wasn't scary enough.

The Necrosphinx is the monster masher1 of the Tomb Kings army. It has the Killing Blow rule and the Decapitating Strike rule. This means that one of its attacks every turn is at Strength 10 with Heroic Killing Blow. This gives the Necrosphinx a good chance of killing enemy monsters outright with a single sweep of his blade (and his blades are big). If worst comes to worst and he doesn't kill the monster, you'll be safe in the knowledge that he will have given it a good kicking anyway. Few monsters will survive two turns against the Necrosphinx and even fewer will have the strength to retaliate. If the enemy doesn't have any monsters then, as mentioned earlier, they'll probably have big guns instead. The Necrosphinx can fly, so dealing with pesky cannons hiding at the back of the battlefield won't be too hard for it either.

I also include that the war sphinx can get poisoned attacks and a breath weapon, both are toughness 8 and have the possibility to get regen from a hero character, or a 5+ ward from a spell.

All this taken straight from GW info

NallTWD
Whiteshield

Re: The Sphynxs are broken IMO

Postby NallTWD » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Crap on a cracker Fizty, the ink isn't even DRY on the army book at you're throwing up "BROKEN!!!!". Relax sucker, you'll be able to take this thing out without a problem. Anything above T6 is pretty much all the same, since you wound anything on 6s. As a

Skaven player, you should be MUCH more worried about this:
Skeleton archers and warriors are a mere 4pts per model

Do the math on that one. Looks like the TK are doing what you do but better, ratman.

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Oh i've over looked all the things put up im not saying that I don't like the model but the ability that it can dish out is amazing, right now without really seeing much of the rest i'de say its on par with the HPA maybe a little weaker, and i think the HPA is broken thats why i take two.

Also i play TK so im not saying broken like i don't want to play it more broken that combined with the other things in the army its going to be devastating.

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Im liking the book as a whole however and looking over what we know so far i'de say they aren't going to be broken as an army overall and i am VERY excited about getting my hands on a book asap so i can play.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Does it have a ward save? Magic Resistance?

If not, then a cannon isn't going to give a damn. Neither are spells that just remove it from play, like Purple Sun or Dwellers Below. Plus, its probably going to be expensive, prohibiting having more than one or two in most games. There'll be plenty of ways of taking it out that don't require straight-up wounding.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Eric says Ha!
Whiteshield

Postby Eric says Ha! » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 pm

slim, where have you been?

Galaan
Whiteshield

Postby Galaan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Slimnoid wrote:Does it have a ward save? Magic Resistance?

If not, then a cannon isn't going to give a damn. Neither are spells that just remove it from play, like Purple Sun or Dwellers Below. Plus, its probably going to be expensive, prohibiting having more than one or two in most games. There'll be plenty of ways of taking it out that don't require straight-up wounding.

I read on the GW site you'll be able to field up to 4 Spinx in a 2000 pt game. I'm assuming two rares and two as mounts? maybe a mistype?

however one of the two flies, so its capable of getting on the cannons in short order/hiding near your own units were you can't shoot, as well as plenty of the army being able to climb out of the ground and maul the cannon.

It can be given a ward save via tomb king lore.

and on another note, ward/MR doesn't affect dwellers/purple sun, so having either of those is pointless in that argument.

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Its actually five in a 2000 pt game two special choice war sphinx two as mounts and one necrosphynx as a rare choice

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:52 am

Lakomasoi wrote:Its actually five in a 2000 pt game two special choice war sphinx two as mounts and one necrosphynx as a rare choice

7th edition High Elves all over again.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Galaan
Whiteshield

Postby Galaan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 am

Slimnoid wrote:7th edition High Elves all over again.

But like you pointed out, there is QUITE a few ways to snuff them out with magic, plus with stubborn and all that your still perfectly capable of stalling them up all game. even with thundercrush; gobbos, slaves, undead, demonic unbreakable, so on and so forth. This edition seems more about building more balanced armies with everything you need. I mean you could take five of them, but if you roll blood and glory, you've lost instantly because I doubt you'll have enough points to take a ton of standards.

I'm not too worried about it.

Return to “Tomb Kings”