Preorders are up in all their dinosaur glory

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Preorders are up in all their dinosaur glory

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:25 pm

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCatsLarge.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

Some cool looking new stuff. I really like the new terradons. J I hope you are happy.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: Preorders are up in all their dinosaur glory

Postby J Rzasa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 am

Eh, yes and no.

I really like the new Terradons/Ripperdactyls, but I need to see rules before I decide if investing $600 in them is worth it or not. I also really like the Bastiladons and the new Carnosaur. The Bastiladon is different than the Steg, it's a nice piece. Will probably buy one regardless of what they do, but probably won't buy more than one unless they are amazing. Same thing with the Carnosaur, which has always been a little weak for the points (at least compared to the Slann). Overall, I really like the new models, and am excited to get my hands on a new book.

But... I was really hoping for one of 3 things the Lizards didn't get. I was really hoping either for Monstrous Calvary, like the Demigryph Knights or the Mournfang Calvary, or Light Calvary like the Skink Cold One Riders they used to make, or probably most of all, I wanted a Dinosaur the size of the Arachnorak Spider or the Thundertusk. This is an army that really could have used a centerpiece on a huge base, and they just didn't give one.

So happy? Yes. So excited I can hardly contain myself? Not really. Am looking forward to playing some fantasy, and painting some Lizards. It's been too long.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

Sow hat is the consensus on the new book? I'm curious to see if they have made the lizards into an army that has more than one option for an army list.
Wyrd Henchman

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 am

Jadam didn't have any books left when I got there on Saturday. Won't have a copy until Wednesday or sometime this weekend.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 am

Wow. I wouldn't have thought it would be that popular of a release. Sign of good things for fantasy perhaps.
Wyrd Henchman

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, I've ready through the book a bit, and without having read through Magic Items or spells too much, they did a bit to make the army better, but there are some really odd choices:

- Skinks dropped to LD 5, without changing point costs

- They added a rule called "Predatory Fighters", which means any attack roll to hit of 6 grants an additional attack. They added this to Saurus Warriors, Kroxigors, the Carnosaur. Possibly a couple of the other monsters.

- Saurus can buy spears for free, no change in points.

- Ripperdactyls have the possibility of being ridiculous. At the very least, they will attract a whole lot of attention off your Saurus.

- Terradons are ok. Gotta read some rules, they might be better than Cold One Riders

- At 30 pts each I'm not sure how good Cold One Riders are. Anyone have any luck with Heavy Calvary? They just don't seem to have the punch they used to have, and a unit of 10 is pretty much the same as a unit of 30 Saurus Warriors.

- Most of the models went down in price, including the Slaan (Who was balanced downward) and Lord Kroak (Who is actually useful now).

- Only Model that went up were Chameleon Skinks. I felt they were useless before, I think they are worse now.

- Looking forward to play with the Bastilodon. Not sure which add on is more worth it. It has the possibility for being really good.

- Combined the Steg to one stat line basically, like the Aracknorok Spider and other Howdah Monsters. However, if you mount a Skink Priest in it, he gets hit on a 5+. He's going to die fast. Only good news is the Engine of the Gods does not say it requires the Skink to operate.

- Kroxigors got better and went down 10 points. They were almost auto includes before, they are almost definitely auto includes now.

- Put the Bastilodon together. Fantastic Kit. Goes together amazingly. Same with the RipperDactyls. Everything slots perfectly, looks great.

- Jungle Swarms are ridiculous. IF they are in combat with a unit, any attacks made against that unit count as poison attacks. Attaching them to Saurus and Skink Cohorts for flank charges is going to be ridiculous.

Overall, a solid release. Not broken, but good. I'm not sold you can play the army without a Slann, but the additional attacks from Saurus may be enough to push it over. We'll see.

~J

Return to “Lizardmen”